PDA

View Full Version : Food = 1.5 to 2 lbs per day, what about liters per day?

Starchild
10-16-2014, 22:03
Just curious, with the generalization that a person needs between 1.5 to 2 lbs per day of food, what about pack volume? Is there such a generalization such as 2L/day? I figure with bear canisters this must be known.

Coffee
10-16-2014, 22:10
I can pack about one day of food in 100 cubic inches, or 1.64 liters, if I'm very careful with food selection. I packed what turned out to be 7 1/2 days of food in my custom bearikade which has 750 cubic inches of capacity. This was on the second half of the jmt.

Dogwood
10-17-2014, 21:04
Good question. I can get 20-24 oz of dry food into a Liter of volume. Dense food with little air dead air space, repackaging, and opting for highly nutritionally dense food is how I mainly do it. I often mail myself these types of food resupplies. When in thru-hiking mode I aim for 20-24 oz of food per day w/ a total caloric daily intake of between 3200-3600 cals. I've fit 7 days of food in a BV 450 Solo Bear Vault this way. Then, if I need an extra days food it goes outside the canister that I eat that day. All food is stored at night in the Bear Vault. When especially pressed for food space and minmizing food wt I can do 1.25 lbs of food per day for about 10 days until my caloric deficiency starts catching up. It takes work though being able to do this FOR ME.

MuddyWaters
10-18-2014, 00:59
I can squeeze a days food into 80 to 100 cubic inches in a bear can, but its a hassle. I easily carry 5 days in a 12.3 L zpacks blast foodbag. Even with a few bulky Mountain house.

Rolex
10-18-2014, 02:19
Good question. I can get 20-24 oz of dry food into a Liter of volume. Dense food with little air dead air space, repackaging, and opting for highly nutritionally dense food is how I mainly do it. I often mail myself these types of food resupplies. When in thru-hiking mode I aim for 20-24 oz of food per day w/ a total caloric daily intake of between 3200-3600 cals. I've fit 7 days of food in a BV 450 Solo Bear Vault this way. Then, if I need an extra days food it goes outside the canister that I eat that day. All food is stored at night in the Bear Vault. When especially pressed for food space and minmizing food wt I can do 1.25 lbs of food per day for about 10 days until my caloric deficiency starts catching up. It takes work though being able to do this FOR ME.

Dogwood, can you give me a list of the main staples you use to achieve this?

I like the idea of planning on eating up the first days food so it's not necessary to pack it in a bear canister. Simple yet brilliant and never crossed my mind. I usually eat a big breakfast and camel up on water day one start.

Thanks