PDA

View Full Version : New here! With "large" issues

Bigtoe74
10-17-2014, 02:16
First white blaze post!

Okay now that we're over that, let's get to business. I am a recently retired college football player and I am huge. I was one of the top ten largest players in college last year at 6'7" 385lbs (can I break a record here?). Part of me wanting to thru hike is to lose much of this mass.
Which brings me to my problem. Gear. I can't find any affordable gear for large people. The one thing I do have is a custom large pack from ULA. Size 16 boots, large tents, tall trekking poles, tall sleeping bags and other general large things are all still on my to get list.
Anybody have any recommendations? Outdoors companies make it especially hard to find products for large people (looking at you Jackson)
I know there is probably a thread on this already on white blaze but I am having issues navigating. So link it up if one comes to mind! Thank you guys and I hope this community is half as great as have always heard it was!

illabelle
10-17-2014, 05:48
Retired? at age 22? What a life! :)

After you lose the excess pounds, you're still going to be 6'7" - ain't no way around that. My husband is 6'4" and often feels like he's at the upper end of the gear range. He carries a set of Black Diamond "Contour" poles. The shaft is elliptical, so a bit stronger and less likely to bend when fully extended. His summer bag is a Big Agnes, but he has a synthetic winter bag that's rectangular (and roomier). Not sure who makes it, I think he said it's called a Goliath. For the tent, I guess you could get a larger tent, and sleep diagonally. If you're hiking alone, that's no problem, but it will make it hard to share the tent with anyone.
Another option is to order custom equipment from some of those cottage industry manufacturers I keep hearing about. I'll let someone else chime in with info on that...
Finally, BigToe, :welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Rocket Jones
10-17-2014, 06:04
You might look at some of Tarptent's 2 or 3 man tents, and sleep diagonally in there. A custom length quilt is doable, check with Enlightened Equipment (among others)

Rocket Jones
10-17-2014, 06:08
Almost forgot... Welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Tuckahoe
10-17-2014, 07:08
Welcome. I am not as tall but I've been overweight in the past and can sympathize on the gear search. I think that you will have better success if you search ou the cottage and small business gear makers. They may be able to give you more personal attention for your gear needs.

Check out LightHeart Gear and the SoLong 6 tent -- http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents/product/view/7/7 . This tent is intended for the "big & tall".

On your trekking poles, check out American Trekking Pole Co. They offer non-collapsing poles made of bamboo and can probably make a set to your required height. http://www.americantrekkingpoles.com/

Limmer maybe able to put you into a pair of boots. They have a couple custom models that they can make in size 16. http://www.limmerboot.com/# . The draw back here may be that they tend to be of heavier leather styles. If you want tk go the trail shoe route, someo e else hopefully can post another source.

For bedding, a quilt rather than a sleeping bag may be the best option, and I would suggest the folks at either Enlightened Equipment or UGQ Outdoor Equipment. They can probably put you into a custom quilt for girth and height.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/
http://www.undergroundquilts.com/default.html

I hope that helps you out a little.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-17-2014, 07:09
Hey BT while people sell gear here on WB there is a page on FB Bearfoot's Hiking Gear Flea Market where gear is offered too. Just saw a tent that they claim will fit someone 6'6". Thought you might wanna to give it a look. The bearpaw AT2 or something like that being offered by a Nick Hooper.

Coffee
10-17-2014, 07:53
Zpacks makes a tent for tall people. However at $530 it might not be considered affordable and also they seem to be directing people to the duplex instead:

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_long.shtml

Seatbelt
10-17-2014, 08:41
Welcome to WB!! I have a son who weighs 325-340 depending on the time of year. He also has hiked quite a bit with me. The issues he has faced are hiking poles "snapping" like twigs and finding comfortable footware. While trailrunners are fine for casual use or dayhikes, I doubt they would support the extra weight during a thru, in your case over 400 lbs(with pack) to start. So find a good sturdy pair of boots that fit and allow your feet some room to swell after a long days hike. Large tents are not hard to find. You might wind up buying a "tall" sleeping bag and covering your head real good to keep warm during the cold nights. Good luck!!

DavidNH
10-17-2014, 08:54
Don't sweat being overweight at the start. Start out with low mileage days (say around 5 miles per day) and gradually work your way up. If as you say, you were a college football player, then you have some strength and that's all to the good. Also, do at least some walking around town before the hike to pre condition yourself but don't stress about it.

Now as for being 6 foot 7 that's a problem that can't be gotten around. You're going to need larger boots, taller tent, larger clothes along with the other common annoyances we tall folks must deal with ( I am 6 ft 3). oh yeah, you'll probably need to special order and extra long and large sleeping bag. But you'll figure this all out and things will work out.

illabelle
10-17-2014, 09:14
Another possibility for a temporary sleeping bag solution - get two skinny bags (if you can borrow or get used) and zip them together. Doesn't help with the length, but could help with girth issues for a while.

Also, keep in mind that many people have a dream of hiking the AT. A lot of people actually do hike a portion. Only a relative few complete a thru. Get on the trail with whatever gear you can assemble and see if you even like backpacking before investing a lot of money in custom-made-to-fit equipment.

scbobk11
10-17-2014, 09:14
You might look at tarps as an alternative to a tent. Easier to get in custom sizes from most of the cottage industry tarp makers. Add a groundsheet and a bug net to complete your setup.

10-17-2014, 09:41
The Eureka Zeus EXO is 7'5" single wall, 4# I still use this tent and put a polypro over it in hard rain as it has a few leaky areas. At 6'4" not many tents fit me. Even if they claim to be long enough they actually are not as my toes (size14 foot) still push hared on the wall.

Starchild
10-17-2014, 09:55
Before you get your poles consider what type of tent you will be using as some tents require hiking poles as supports and that may limit your choice to adjustable poles only.

RED-DOG
10-17-2014, 10:20
If you can't find gear to fit you through the everyday companies, then you can try Z-packs or similar companies they might be able to customize gear for you, or you might be able to find someone that makes gear or you could even make the gear, a lot of people makes their own gear these days.

canoe
10-17-2014, 10:31
Good point Red dog. I was going to say th e same thing. With the many cottage gear makers on this site you can find anything you want...except boots. Not sure where to find them. You might entertain the idea of quilt vs sleeping as quilts can be custom made to order no matter what size you are. The tents at z pack can be made to order too. If retired so soon money is probably not an issue. Get the best lightest gear you can find.

canoe
10-17-2014, 10:33
Oh and places like Dicks have good clothes for big guys at a none hiking price

canoe
10-17-2014, 10:34
Were did you play ball?

freightliner
10-17-2014, 11:37
I think there's going to be a lot of Bigfoot sightings next year. Really a size 16 shoe. Maybe we should just give you your trail name now as Bigfoot you'll get it when you get out on the trail anyhow. I'm glad I never played football against you. Getting hit by you must of been like getting hit by a freight train. I look forward to meeting you on the trail next year. You going northbound?

Seatbelt
10-17-2014, 12:35
I think there's going to be a lot of Bigfoot sightings next year. Really a size 16 shoe. Maybe we should just give you your trail name now as Bigfoot you'll get it when you get out on the trail anyhow. I'm glad I never played football against you. Getting hit by you must of been like getting hit by a freight train. I look forward to meeting you on the trail next year. You going northbound?

I wear a size 15 and I can vouch for the difficulty it is in finding the right shoes that are comfortable and wearable for backpacking. So far I've had my best luck with Keen boots but I'm not sure if they have a larger size or not. Good luck in this area--might have to wear sandals...LOL

Mags
10-17-2014, 12:58
Cabela's and BassPro make hunting and fishing clothing in larger sizes (3 and even 4XL IIRC)

Though some of the gear is not suited for backpacking, their puffies, fleeces, rain gear, thermals and the nylon pants and shirts work well enough for backpacking and are similar quality and weight to at least the REI store brand gear.

Also, between now and your thru-hike, get out there and hike, walk, and some light general exercise. Any weight you can lose between now and your thru-hike will make the initial weeks easier AND let you get used to your gear. And hiking/backpacking is fun, too! Car camping and day hikes with your new gear works well too. :)

Good luck!

joshuasdad
10-17-2014, 20:12
You might want to read one or more of the Skywalker books (I have read the AT, PCT, and Camino books on Amazon Kindle). I believe that he was "6 foot 12 inches" tall, and had a similar shoe size as you.

Woof Shaven
10-17-2014, 21:03
If you can handle camouflage - and quote unquote surplus gear - which can still be purchased still new in its original packaging - I recommend the current military issue ECWCS GEN III (Extended Cold Weather Clothing System). Its a seven layer clothing system. The Gortex layer which is Layer-6 will run you about $100 for the top and $100 for the bottom. It compares to the civilian variant in features (but not the cut) to high-end name brands such as Arcteryx. That brand name can cost you between $500-$700 for the tops and the same amount for the bottoms. I bet you can find your size in a ECWCS Gen III solution.

The current military sleep system impressive in its technology but most average size people would consider it a bit heavy and doesn't pack down very well in my estimation. The military sleep system does have a long size in that system. Price is reasonable. I would recommend a civilian solution here due to weight considerations but your size requirements may totally shift the Ultralight supply/demand curve upwards such that it might fit into an Ultralight category for your frame size.

I like the ZPachs duplex tent suggestion from up above too.

Shoes recommendations I am going to go with Uncle Sam's specifications. Get either the Belleville MCB 950 (all season) 04 the MCB 990 (hot weather). I think someone your size would benefit from the support of a true Class-C boot. MCB stands for Mountain Combat Boot and they are the current issue, proven in Afghanistan. Good tennis shoes is another way to go but I think you need Class-C support. You can buy these boots new or used and pay wholesale or retail. I think Uncle Sam makes a boot in a size for you. Buy your regular size - they have been upsized by the manufacturer for wearing liner socks under wool socks.

Not size related - Water Purification - Go for the AQUAMIRA A/B system and skip filtration pumps.

Good Luck.

- Woof Shaven, " A wannabe hiker with no actual experience per say but glad to hand out advice"

Woof Shaven
10-17-2014, 21:20
One last thing. Everyone in my estimation recommends bringing along a LeatherMan multi-tool. After you purchase all your gear, next count up all the nuts and bolts and screws that are holding it together. Then consider the LeatherMan Raptor surgical shears instead. You have my permission to run with these scissors. They cut anything and everything.

walknrow
10-19-2014, 17:09
HI BT & welcome to WB! You might give a look at Danner boots. I had a quick look, and found at least one model that went up to a 16. Pricey, but you are probably used to that -- and a great quality. Just in case you need some help, I am from NE Ohio too! And I have a sewing machine! Good Luck.

HeartFire
10-19-2014, 19:53
LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 tent - It's "So Long that 6 footers fit into it" The tent was designed for the big and tall - www.lightheartgear.com

illabelle
10-19-2014, 20:26
BigToe, you haven't posted again. Are you still around? Let us know if our suggestions are helping or not. We like to help.
:)

Bigtoe74
10-20-2014, 09:08
Wow! A lot of really good information! I guess this forum really is as good as they say it is. I'm gonna run through all of it and research everything. Thank you guys! I guess I need to clarify the comment about being retired. I'm just retired from football. I'm recently graduated and jobless so I am substitute teaching and coaching high school to raise money for next spring. Thank you guys so much for the information. I have a bad internet connection so I will try to reply to as many as I can. Thanks again!

Bigtoe74
10-20-2014, 09:29
If you can handle camouflage - and quote unquote surplus gear - which can still be purchased still new in its original packaging - I recommend the current military issue ECWCS GEN III (Extended Cold Weather Clothing System). Its a seven layer clothing system. The Gortex layer which is Layer-6 will run you about $100 for the top and $100 for the bottom. It compares to the civilian variant in features (but not the cut) to high-end name brands such as Arcteryx. That brand name can cost you between $500-$700 for the tops and the same amount for the bottoms. I bet you can find your size in a ECWCS Gen III solution. The current military sleep system impressive in its technology but most average size people would consider it a bit heavy and doesn't pack down very well in my estimation. The military sleep system does have a long size in that system. Price is reasonable. I would recommend a civilian solution here due to weight considerations but your size requirements may totally shift the Ultralight supply/demand curve upwards such that it might fit into an Ultralight category for your frame size. I like the ZPachs duplex tent suggestion from up above too. Shoes recommendations I am going to go with Uncle Sam's specifications. Get either the Belleville MCB 950 (all season) 04 the MCB 990 (hot weather). I think someone your size would benefit from the support of a true Class-C boot. MCB stands for Mountain Combat Boot and they are the current issue, proven in Afghanistan. Good tennis shoes is another way to go but I think you need Class-C support. You can buy these boots new or used and pay wholesale or retail. I think Uncle Sam makes a boot in a size for you. Buy your regular size - they have been upsized by the manufacturer for wearing liner socks under wool socks. Not size related - Water Purification - Go for the AQUAMIRA A/B system and skip filtration pumps. Good Luck. - Woof Shaven, " A wannabe hiker with no actual experience per say but glad to hand out advice" I haven't bought of that yet. Don't plan on spending enough to get anything Arcteryx but this will help.

Bigtoe74
10-20-2014, 09:30
Cabela's and BassPro make hunting and fishing clothing in larger sizes (3 and even 4XL IIRC) Though some of the gear is not suited for backpacking, their puffies, fleeces, rain gear, thermals and the nylon pants and shirts work well enough for backpacking and are similar quality and weight to at least the REI store brand gear. Also, between now and your thru-hike, get out there and hike, walk, and some light general exercise. Any weight you can lose between now and your thru-hike will make the initial weeks easier AND let you get used to your gear. And hiking/backpacking is fun, too! Car camping and day hikes with your new gear works well too. :) Good luck! oh yeah. I keep basspro in business when it comes to clothes as it is.

Bigtoe74
10-20-2014, 09:32
I wear a size 15 and I can vouch for the difficulty it is in finding the right shoes that are comfortable and wearable for backpacking. So far I've had my best luck with Keen boots but I'm not sure if they have a larger size or not. Good luck in this area--might have to wear sandals...LOL see I have a pair of keen boots already. As comfortable as anything I've worn. However I did some field research a few months ago, and even tho it was in a swamp the souls began to come unglued. I figured this was a bad omen

Bigtoe74
10-20-2014, 09:34
I think there's going to be a lot of Bigfoot sightings next year. Really a size 16 shoe. Maybe we should just give you your trail name now as Bigfoot you'll get it when you get out on the trail anyhow. I'm glad I never played football against you. Getting hit by you must of been like getting hit by a freight train. I look forward to meeting you on the trail next year. You going northbound? haha I've heard that before. I guess I might as well not fight it. I plan to. Plans are still up in the air right now because of grad school but if it do end up going, and it will be northbound.

Bigtoe74
10-20-2014, 09:37
Good point Red dog. I was going to say th e same thing. With the many cottage gear makers on this site you can find anything you want...except boots. Not sure where to find them. You might entertain the idea of quilt vs sleeping as quilts can be custom made to order no matter what size you are. The tents at z pack can be made to order too. If retired so soon money is probably not an issue. Get the best lightest gear you can find. unfortunately I retired after college football... Which means I was paid absolute minimum. So funds won't be as lush as I would have liked. But thank you! I will take that into consideration. And to answer your later post, I played down at Ole Miss.... I missed the mountains

Speakeasy TN
10-24-2014, 14:57
+1 to this. Contact Bill. He's a super nice guy and at 6'11" and 3/4, he knows oversized equipment suppliers.
Welcome to Whiteblaze neighbor! Hixon here!

You might want to read one or more of the Skywalker books (I have read the AT, PCT, and Camino books on Amazon Kindle). I believe that he was "6 foot 12 inches" tall, and had a similar shoe size as you.

lal2wx
11-09-2014, 12:57
I'd imagine for a lot of the stuff custom is going to be outrageously expensive so home made will be the best way to go. Since some DIY stuff can get complex and just as expensive, you'll have the benefit of being forced to keep stuff simple and therefore light. It would seem like a tarp is the way to go rather tan a tent. Maybe start a little later to avoid some of the winter and need for specialized clothes and a really expensive, warm sleeping bag in a suitable size. ULA is a great company with great products, hope you're enjoying the pack.

Your feet will be really important. I don't know much about buying over sized shoes, but Fixing Your Feet is a common hiker read. I'm sure you already know the importance of your feet as an athlete, but you'll have to remember you're not at practice anymore and to listen to your body when it's saying it's in pain and needs a break as opposed to pushing through it.

While you're on the trail you're going to naturally be running at a calorie deficit no matter how much you eat. Even though losing some mass is a goal, hiking isn't a time to try dieting. From knowing a couple guys still playing and a couple other big guys, my guess is you'll want to make sure you have a good size food bag. This can easily take up more space than you expect in your pack so keeping the other gear simple and minimal is even more important.

One of my favorite coaches and teacher in HS was a former college ball player that was an absolute Hulk of a man, I couldn't but help of think of him as I read your post. But theres no way I'd ever see him anywhere near the Trail. The students and players are lucky to have you.

And Go Rebels!

squeezebox
11-09-2014, 19:12
It would be interesting to hear from some of the very petite women, what they have for equipment etc. The other end of the spectrum.

squeezebox
11-09-2014, 22:09
Bigtoe ; If you are interested in a bicycle I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Bronk
11-10-2014, 17:00
With those feet you're going to want to buy a few extra pairs of shoes and have somebody ready to mail them to you when yours wear out. You're probably not going to be lucky enough to find those size shoes along the trail...and your feet may swell and grow 1/2 size or more so keep that in mind.

Five Tango
11-10-2014, 18:55
Luxury Lite has poles that you can get in sections that go together such that you can make it whatever length you want.

TJ aka Teej
11-10-2014, 23:55
One thing that you have going for you is fitness - not all at your weight are young athletes. My son is 6'7" and 350 and played football and basketball in high school and college - and hikes and climbs like a billygoat. His gear problem is footwear, and we have a 'scout' at the local New Balance outlet always on the lookout for 16 EEEEs! The DXL store has 4XLT Columbia fleece and rain gear, thank goodness, and his mom has spliced and stitched extra length into the shoulder straps, sternum straps, and waistbelts of many packs for him. Wooden hiking poles - the metal ones are useless for him. Good luck, and have fun!

Dogwood
11-11-2014, 01:55
WOW, we do like to jump into gear discussions on this site missing the motive behind the thread. If I'm getting it right you're telling us your weight loss solution is to attempt a thru-hike? :confused: If so, can we first discuss that?

squeezebox
11-11-2014, 11:17
I reread the OP. Bigtoe has been an athlete all his life, he knows about nutrition, bulking up, loosing wt, training etc. I could learn a lot from him.
He did ask about equipment.
Big Toe: The Cottage industry folks really know their stuff about sewing. a longer tent should be within easy range , A slightly modified double sleeping bag might work well. 2- 20" regular air mattress would be wide enough, for your feet, a short mattress or some mattresses can be cut down safely. ( check with manufacturer about weight limits, or custom availability) You know where to get athletic clothing your size, so they could likely make hiking clothing ( fleece top & bottom, wool longies,wool Tshirts etc. Wool Socks Darn tough? You'll need a pack (1 1/2 normal size)? I would think most of the Expedition manufactures make many fewer equipment pieces so that it's almost custom made. All your stuff is much larger so a 100-130 L pack with longer shoulder straps hip belt etc. I'm thinking should be within range. The folks that make -60 down jackets should be able to make you a 0-10* jacket. All these cottage folks know their stuff about sewing. You've been big for a long time, so you know about custom clothing. Money? Oh yeah it's going to be expensive! Particularly on a Subtitiute teachers salary, Maybe you could get a few endorsement deals. I'm sure you know how to do the fight score win thing. So fight score win, White Blaze folks will help.

chelko
11-13-2014, 10:22
I feel your pain. Although I am not as tall as you I was also an OL in college (30 years ago). I am still 6'3 and weigh 320. My son also played in college and he still weighs 275. We found that the most important things to a successful backpacking trip are. Base layers. Underarmor boxer briefs. Wicking and long enough to prevent chaffing. No problem with fit there. Pack, my issue has always been a large enough pack (face it your underwear is larger than most peoples whole wardrobe) and suspension. I recommend a Gregory Palasades or larger. Very adjustable with larger hip belts available. MOST IMPORTANT boots, if your feet give out you are screwed. You need a good foundation, and your increased size will wear them out quicker that a normal sized hiker will. I use Kayland and love them in a 14. They may have 16 you will have to check. The previous post about military issue mountain combat boots may be your best bet. Try a pair and if they work plan on at least three pair for your hike. Good luck.

yerbyray
11-17-2014, 20:19
Bigtoe,

Try Campmor's website...i think it is www.campmore.com as they have a big and tall section. Also look at http://www.bigcamo.com/

Good Luck!!!!

Wise Old Owl
11-17-2014, 20:37
Well you gear junkies covered the subject very well

Here is another Football guy discussing his weight and psychology about 3 minutes in

But take a moment and watch the whole thing...because he completed the journey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9Uh8zsurBjo

jdc5294
11-18-2014, 15:21
I'm a huge fan of Keen boots (http://keenfootwear.com/) and I know they have sizes all the way up to 17W. I can personally reccomend the Targhee II Mid, a pair of those took me halfway through the trail. I've known a couple larger guys who use Keen and they can't say enough about them.