PDA

View Full Version : Blisters on the bottom of big toe and metatarsal head

foxiedoxie
10-17-2014, 11:47
I have tried all kinds of boots, socks, and such but always get blisters on my feet. I put mole skin on these areas and it helps but each day the blisters get worse of course with walking and especially walking down slopes...i saw on line a product called 2nd skin. Does anyone have any input on how to prevent blisters from slowing you down. I have keen boots with wide toe box and this last time I used the wright socks. Thanks.

Slo-go'en
10-17-2014, 12:07
I think 2nd skin is a gel pack and the problem is getting it to stay in place. I use New Skin, a liquid bandage to heal blisters. Preventing blisters in the first place isn't easy, especially if you don't keep your feet tough by walking a lot in between hikes. It really pains me to start pealing off calluses over the winter, it took a lot of effort to create them!

SteelCut
10-17-2014, 13:17
You probably really need to read the book Fixing Your Feet (http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Feet-Prevention-Treatments-ebook/dp/B004K6MDZU).

And if you truly are wearing "boots" you might want to try trail runners. Blisters are almost non-existent for me since giving up boots.

AHIKERAHIKER
10-17-2014, 15:40
I have found that COVER ROLL really works great to prevent blisters. You can find this product on the Internet. It comes in a 36 yard or so roll for about $20. I have been using it for over 15 years
and have had no blisters since I started using it.

It is a peel-off application. You cut a piece to the size you want (I put mine on the bottom of my feet immediately behind my toes but it can be applied anywhere). One side is smooth
as glass and the other is sticky with a protective layer that you peel off to stick it to your foot. It is flexible material, like a thin piece of nylon impregnated cloth. VERY strong stuff!
Once put on your foot it will last for days and doesn't hurt to take off to replace it.

NOTE: Why this stuff works: Blisters are caused by the skin rocking back and forth against a surface (like your boot). If your skin of your foot cannot slide across a surface it will
stay stationary and rock back and forth as your foot is forced front to back to front in your boot as you hike. However, If your skin can slide along the surface inside your boot
there will be no blisters!!!! The smooth as glass side of the COVER ROLL is so smooth and glass-like that your foot now slides in your boot rather than staying stationary.

No "rocking" thus no Blister!!! Try it and I think you will like it!!!

Gordon "Renaissance Man" Ripley
40 year through hike and finished the AT in 2008. Finally ended my AT hike in Waynesboro, VA...

Praha4
10-17-2014, 16:46
to prevent blisters, try Sportslick, it's an ointment you apply to your potential hotspots on your feet before you hike, it reduces friction and also protects the skin. I've found it very helpful in preventing foot blisters. It's the best dimethicone based ointment since Hydropel, which isn't on the market any more. http://www.sportslick.com/ Once you have the blister, that's a different treatment protocol. 2nd Skin are blister "bandaids" that can be applied over the blister, after first cleaning the area, and popping any blisterss.... 2nd Skin blister bandaids protect the blister area and allow your skin time to regrow. JNJ "Bandaid" brand also markets their own brand of Blister Bandaids that are not bad too. Try using shoes/boots 1/2 size larger than you usually wear at home too.

Bati
10-18-2014, 08:11
...i saw on line a product called 2nd skin.

I've had a lot of success with second skin, using skin tape over a the second skin to hold it in place for at least the first half of the day (or until the first ford). I use it BEFORE I get blisters. My feet do not fit the normal mold, so there are spots that have caused corns since kindergarten unless I have custom made shoes; these are places where second skin helps. Also, trying to find softer shoes (cloth instead of leather or leather with no rubber ramp over the areas) helps immensely, but has never totally alleviated the issue. I try to dry out the spots at night by leaving them uncovered from the time I make camp until the next morning.

Grampie
10-18-2014, 10:30
During my thru hike I experienced getting a blister on the bottom of my big toe. I started to rub in some Vasoline, before I put on my sox, and never had that problem again.

foxiedoxie
10-19-2014, 09:57
can you send link for the coverup roll...i saw leuko p tape....and others..want to make sure i try the right stuff...thanks