PDA

View Full Version : signs or no signs

stiffler
10-18-2005, 10:44
Would having signs posted at road crossings along the AT to show you how far and in what direction food could be obtained be a good Idea? or should a person rely on his or her own notes?

Skyline
10-18-2005, 10:56
IMHO signage to road crossings, trailheads, water sources, and shelters should suffice. These things don't change very often.

Places near the Trail to buy food or eat in a restaurant come and go. Just ask Mrs. Gorp or Wingfoot (respective editors of the Companion and the Handbook). The volunteers who put up the signs have enough to do to try and keep signage to commercial establishments up to date. Better to buy a current Companion and/or Handbook for that kind of info.

Another alternative: At the shelter I co-maintain in SNP, we have added a bit of info at the front of the shelter register about what can be found south and north of the shelter--next shelter, water sources, interesting natural or historical stuff, and more. Included in that info--updated every time a register fills up and a new one put out--is the kind of info you seek about off-trail amenities as well as hostels.

MOWGLI
10-18-2005, 11:14
Stiffler, I may not represent the majority opinion here, but I believe that there is probably already too much info available about the trail. Signs would just be another form of visual clutter. To me, that's what the ALDHA Companion & Wingfoots book are for. I think there should be some degree of having to figure things out on your own when you get to a road crossing. Am I the only one who feels this way?

At any rate, the signs would be the responsibility of the local jurisdiction such as a town or village. The trail clubs already have their hands full keeping the trail open & clear.

the goat
10-18-2005, 11:22
Stiffler, I may not represent the majority opinion here, but I believe that there is probably already too much info available about the trail. Signs would just be another form of visual clutter. To me, that's what the ALDHA Companion & Wingfoots book are for. I think there should be some degree of having to figure things out on your own when you get to a road crossing. Am I the only one who feels this way?

At any rate, the signs would be the responsibility of the local jurisdiction such as a town or village. The trail clubs already have their hands full keeping the trail open & clear.
ditto skyline & mowgli, too much crap out there already. if you get to a road & don't know which way to go.....shoulda bought a databook :datz

Skyline
10-18-2005, 11:56
Adding to what I posted earlier, one of the reasons we include static info in the shelter register is to cut down or eliminate signage for commercial establishments on the trail or at shelters. Doing away with commercial signage is the preference of both the Park Service and the ATC. Putting it in the register and keeping it up-to-date when a new register is put out has been working well for three-plus years, and we've gotten a lot of positive comment on it.

icemanat95
10-18-2005, 14:10

Nope, you are right, the fewer the signs the better.

There is more than enough info out there to get you from one end of the trail to the other without missing a side-attraction, all you need are the maps, a compass, Wingfoot's book or the companion and maybe a watch to help you gauge your travelled distances, and you are good to go.

I have often found that the folks who want better signage are the ones who refuse to carry maps and want the trail to be adapted to their desire not to spend the money or carry the weight.

Peaks
10-18-2005, 18:46
Well, posting information at trailheads on town services is somewhat contraversal. The ATC policy is not to post the such information. Frankly, the way things change, I wouldn't mind seeing it posted on the back side of the information board that you pass as you go into the woods. But, the problem is of course, keeping it current. Current solution is to by the Companion or Wingfoot.