PDA

View Full Version : REI Garage Sale

jred321
10-18-2014, 10:54
Anybody find any good bargains at the Garage Sale today? I picked up some carbon fiber trekking poles for $45. They're a little scratched but they work fine.

Ktaadn
10-18-2014, 14:33
$90 Solomons for 25 bucks and $110 new Balance for 20. Found a kids lantern for 3.

squeezebox
10-18-2014, 14:48
Well I passed up a copper spur 4 , thought it was too big 57 sq. ft. 5lb 5oz retail $630 Today $130 .Not sure the poles were there?
Could somebody come over here and kick me in the butt for not buying it. Talk about a great base camp/car camp tent.

Second Hand
10-18-2014, 22:30
Boots were buy 1 get 1 free. I got a pair of Merrals for myself for $35 and a pair of Keens for my son for free.
BD Z trekking poles for $30
Osprey 28L day pack, never used, $54.

I had to make myself leave before I just kept spending.

JohnnySnook
10-19-2014, 02:59
I hope many got some great deals. I really wanted to head north from Miami on a road trip that I've wanted to go on for the last month to buy and test gear. Also planned to do short hike.

Well that didn't happen. Due too some healthy issues I just hope I can hike the AT next year. Looking to make doctors appointments on Monday. i won't lie I've put some of these issues off for a bit. Just not wanting to accept the fact I'm getting old. Hopefully nothing serious. We'll see.

Either way this is making me more motivated to hike the AT. Bad news means I need to hike faster. Good news means I need to do it now before I can't.

Hope to make the next garage sale. Seems like some great deals to be had.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-19-2014, 07:35
They always have these things when I can't make it there :(

whatnot
10-19-2014, 09:19
Austin-Gateway REI had a huge amount of items for sale in their garage sale yesterday. Around 6:00 PM they reduced the already low prices 50%. They are extending their garage sale through today (Sunday 10/19). Maybe your local store is doing the same. It's worth checking.

Sidewinder
10-19-2014, 17:19
I stopped by REI to buy "full" priced socks, wasn't interested in used gear, the line was too ling for me to wait in so decided to go back after work. By then the used gear had been reduced to worn out gear, torn ENO hammocks, a collapsable bowl with the bottom blown out, broken sunglasses, sleeping pads with blown out baffles allowing for a watermelon size bubble. This was just a few of the things I saw at a glance, like I said I wasn't interested in used gear.

I'm not questioning REI's return policy so don't get started, but what I don't understand is why REI would place gear in this condition out for resale, it's clearly damaged beyond repair.

scrabbler
10-19-2014, 17:26
<snip> but what I don't understand is why REI would place gear in this condition out for resale, it's clearly damaged beyond repair.

Because they get lines 1/4 mile long with willing buyers. $400 tent for $50, so what if it has a ripped floor, torn screens, and no poles, no warranty, "ITS A BARGAIN!!". ;-)

blaznsddlz
10-19-2014, 21:21
I picked up a few good items (I think). I was nearly ready to pull the trigger on a set of poles and a Jetboil before the sale, so it worked out pretty well for me

-BD Alpine carbon cork poles for $39 (lock on one pole doesn't fully latch in collapsed position but locks well in extended position).
-Jetboil flash for $49 (Returned for faulty ignitor, but has worked fine for me so far)
-REI Revelcloud Jacket $49 (small tear in the packing pocket, everything else is in perfect condition)

johnnybgood
10-19-2014, 22:09
Leki poles with the cork handles for $ 39.83 , only used 3 times. Retailed for $139.95 new.

(Sigh) Not for me ..bought it for my daughter who joined the outdoor recreation club at college.

slbirdnerd
10-20-2014, 13:15
Most of what I saw at the Columbus store was broken beyond repair. After all the hype, I was surprised to see such a worthless bunch of crap--thinking it was just our location here. This was the ONLY time I have ever walked out of an REI and bought nothing.

Sailing_Faith
10-20-2014, 14:44
Weird, the local store (Corte Madera) did not have the sale advertised on their page, but two other local stores did.

i did not make it out to them, I will say it is WONDERFUL being surrounded by so many REI stores after living so long in the Suth with no decent outfitters near by!

i hope everyone did well, and is enjoying their new treasure!

squeezebox
10-20-2014, 16:55
I called and asked about the next one, and they post on facebook and I think on email. not on their website. Apparently about every 3 months. I'll call every so often. Could someone be kind enough to post the next one.
Here in St. Louis there was a fair amount of 1/2 worn out or 1/2 busted stuff. Still worth going to.

KillerKarma
10-20-2014, 18:13
I almost bought a fly creek ul2, but couldn't pull the trigger without knowing it's state. There were a pair of men's Solomons I liked but would have been snug with thicker socks. Got some clearance socks inside and a couple books. Headed to Campmor and left with another pair of socks and a couple more books. Wasn't my day for shopping for gear I guess. Haha

KillerKarma
10-20-2014, 18:15
Had much better luck showing up late to the last one in East Hanover...and I just realized I was not at the same store. Lol. Nevermind.

MuddyWaters
10-20-2014, 20:54
I have bought exactly two items from REI. A 4 L aluminum pot for scout backpack trips, and a neoair for the easy replacement.

REI simply has virtually no gear I'm interested in, at any price. I've visited several stores and come away unimpressed. Mostly just unnecessary crap, and high prices.

slbirdnerd
10-21-2014, 15:39
I almost bought a fly creek ul2, but couldn't pull the trigger without knowing it's state. There were a pair of men's Solomons I liked but would have been snug with thicker socks. Got some clearance socks inside and a couple books. Headed to Campmor and left with another pair of socks and a couple more books. Wasn't my day for shopping for gear I guess. Haha

Next time find a space on the floor and put it up to inspect it--people do that. It's okay!

KillerKarma
10-21-2014, 15:48
They told us we couldn't at this one. They let us test stuff at the last one I went to too.

jred321
10-21-2014, 20:36
That sucks. The one I went to was in the parking lot and I saw people setting up a very large tent for inspection

KillerKarma
10-22-2014, 12:28
The one in East Hanover, NJ was outside and people set up everything they could get their hands on. Pads were inflated. Tents set up. The one in Paramus on Saturday was in a small section of their warehouse with one of the loading doors open and a small section of larger items and clothing outside (kayaks, car racks, etc.). They let us in 40 people at a time for 20 minutes. It was tight.

I was at least 45 minutes late to East Hanover and left with two great deals. I was in the second group let into the Paramus sale and left with nothing. I heard the Paramus one is a bigger deal, but it seems they are pretty hit and miss.