PDA

View Full Version : Camping near Mt. Greylock (Mass) trailheads

ENS
10-18-2005, 11:49
This Saturday I plan at starting at Dalton, MA and hike to the Mark Noepal leanto and camping Saturday night. Sunday I plan on hiking up and over Greylock and finishing at Pattison Rd. I plan on getting there Friday night ( I am from Reading, PA) and camping near one of the trailheads. Are there any good campsites near either trailhead? I'll have about 5 people camping with me Friday night.

Thanks,

Rob
EarthNsky

Grampie
10-18-2005, 18:01
Rob,
A couple of years ago I did the same hike. I left my car in a American legion or it may hav been a VFW parking lot across from the post office in Cheshire. I than hiked north, cross Rt.8 and into the woods for a short distance. I think it was about .2 miles. Entered a field where I camped for the night. Right off the AT. In the morning I continued up Greylock.

betic4lyf
10-18-2005, 20:33
on your way up greylock , you will reach a point where the trail passes the road at an s curve. afterwards you will hike for a bit, then get to a long line of bog bridges. one will be a log with the top flattened. that is my bridge. I made it. :clap

DebW
10-19-2005, 12:23
You might check with Tom Levardi about camping in his yard in Dalton (see Companion for address). Or hike the 0.3 miles from Grange Hall Rd. to the Kay Wood shelter just south of Dalton. Camping on the Mass. AT is allowed only at shelters and improved campsites. Be courteous of private land along the corridor.

Uncle Silly
10-19-2005, 16:35
on your way up greylock , you will reach a point where the trail passes the road at an s curve. afterwards you will hike for a bit, then get to a long line of bog bridges. one will be a log with the top flattened. that is my bridge. I made it. :clap

i remember that bridge! good job. :jump