PDA

View Full Version : Trail name?

freightliner
10-18-2014, 22:33
I just had an argument with my Triple Crown hiking partner about whether to give yourself a trail name or be given a trail name on the trail. I was asking her about some trail names I came up for myself and she says that it would be better to be named on the trail because that's part of the spirit of a Appalachian Trail thru hike. So I ask you is she right or is it no big deal anymore.

Second Hand
10-18-2014, 22:41
I gave myself the trail name of "second hand" because I get most, if not all, my gear second hand. I was happy with the choice to give myself the trail name. I was doing a section hike in CT and chatting with some thru-hikers a few years ago while eating cheeze-wiz and wheat thins, when one of the hikers declared, "if you don't have a trail name, I'm naming you cheeze-wiz"

Nothing against the name Cheeze-Wiz, but I feel like Second Hand is a bit truer to my persona.

lonehiker
10-18-2014, 23:26
I just had an argument with my Triple Crown hiking partner about whether to give yourself a trail name or be given a trail name on the trail. I was asking her about some trail names I came up for myself and she says that it would be better to be named on the trail because that's part of the spirit of a Appalachian Trail thru hike. So I ask you is she right or is it no big deal anymore.

If you name yourself it isn't a trail name but rather a nickname. I read this in Yogi's PCT guide. I agree with her.

Sarcasm the elf
10-18-2014, 23:45
Bottom line is that it's a nickname, no more, no less... It it fits it fits if it doesn't it doesn't.

The whole idea of the "trail" giving you a name is kind of BS. If you're given a name while hiking that fits you and your personality then great, go with it., Then again if you're hiking and you bump into some neckbeard who tries to give you a monicker that makes no sense then tell him to go scratch and keep being called what you want to be called.

Basically, if you're over the age of 12 years old both physically and mentally, then don't worry about it.

illabelle
10-19-2014, 05:40
Bottom line is that it's a nickname, no more, no less... It it fits it fits if it doesn't it doesn't.

The whole idea of the "trail" giving you a name is kind of BS. If you're given a name while hiking that fits you and your personality then great, go with it., Then again if you're hiking and you bump into some neckbeard who tries to give you a monicker that makes no sense then tell him to go scratch and keep being called whar you want to be called.

Basically, if you're over the age of 12 years old both physically and mentally, then don't worry about it.
Agreed!...

Tuckahoe
10-19-2014, 06:28

The whole idea of the "trail" giving you a name is kind of BS. If you're given a name while hiking that fits you and your personality then great, go with it., Then again if you're hiking and you bump into some neckbeard who tries to give you a monicker that makes no sense then tell him to go scratch and keep being called whar you want to be called.

Agreed!...

Even the French Foreign Legion will let you make up your own nom de guerre.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2014, 06:58

it wasn't a big deal 28 years ago when i named myself. it's a non-issue

Damn Yankee
10-19-2014, 07:34
I named myself also, it fits and it stuck. Now when I hike the trail and get a name that suits better, it may change.

bigcranky
10-19-2014, 10:14
If you let the Trail decide your name, then don't be upset when it turns out to be Mud Butt.

MuddyWaters
10-19-2014, 10:44
Irrelevant really.
A name imposed on you by friends and hiking partners may hold some sentiment that a self chosen name doesn't.

People choose names often based on how they see themselves.
People are given names often based on how others see them.

As
Long as it works, ie is basically unique, it works. Picking a name that is common is kind of questionable, might as well use "Mike" if you choose strider, hiker ...., etc.

Old Hiker
10-19-2014, 10:49
I'm not there for the "spirit". I'm there to complete a thru-hike. My Scouts named me "Old Hiker" decades ago. It was on a trail. It's my trail and Trail name.

If I recall, Trail names were to differentiate between all the Joes, Bobs, Anns and Bettys (Betties?) on the Trail.

My problem is: I'll remember your face forever after seeing it a couple of times. I won't remember your name after 5 minutes unless I have been in fairly close proximity for a LONG time. Don't take it personal if I just say, "Howdy" a lot.

I take memory pills, but they don't help unless you remember to take them.

Coffee
10-19-2014, 11:09
The only names I remember on the trail are trail names. There are too many people with common names and I forget almost immediately unless I've spent some time with them. I don't see anything wrong with giving yourself a trail name especially if you hike solo and don't hang around other hikers that much. It would seem to me that you have to be hanging around a lot of the same hikers for a while to be given a trail name. It would seem pretty rude to assign a trail name to someone you just met although I'm sure that happens. I gave myself my trail name but I got the idea when I was sitting on the side of the AT at the north end of the Roller Coaster using my Jetboil to make coffee around 10 am (as is my custom most of the time) and a hiker coming down the trail exclaimed "Coffee!" referring to what I was drinking.

MkBibble
10-19-2014, 17:48
Skywalker's (Bill Walker) explanation always makes me smile:
One trail veteran had advised me to choose my own trail name. This advice would seem especially prescient after I met thru-hikers with such illustrious names as Snot Rag, **** Bag, Rat Puke, to name a few.

atmilkman
10-19-2014, 17:53
Skywalker's (Bill Walker) explanation always makes me smile:
One trail veteran had advised me to choose my own trail name. This advice would seem especially prescient after I met thru-hikers with such illustrious names as Snot Rag, **** Bag, Rat Puke, to name a few.
And just think, those are some of the nice ones.

kayak karl
10-19-2014, 18:21
you've hike all three trails and no one gave yous a trail name yet??

freightliner
10-19-2014, 18:49
you've hike all three trails and no one gave yous a trail name yet??
No my hiking partner just finished her triple crown quest I just haven't gotten around to doing a thru hike yet. Been hiking the AT all my life but never had time money or guts to do a thru hike. Next years the year and I know I can do it now.

Frank_the_cat
10-21-2014, 20:10
I'm a hasher and H3's have rules about trail names.... but otherwise, I figure it was kind of fluid

lemon b
10-21-2014, 20:13
In 78 no one really used them. My 2 army buddies who started used an army nickname. But they dropped off way before I. Then them kids of mine..... caught on and gave me one.

Mags
10-21-2014, 21:03
If you name yourself it isn't a trail name but rather a nickname. I read this in Yogi's PCT guide. I agree with her.

A trail name IS a nick name.

:)

Lone Wolf
10-21-2014, 21:09
so this yogi person is the expert?

lonehiker
10-22-2014, 09:49
so this yogi person is the expert?

Just a source.

lonehiker
10-22-2014, 09:54
A trail name IS a nick name.

:)

Astute. By definition a trail name IS (your emphasis) a nickname. BUT (my emphasis) not all nicknames are trail names.

swisscross
10-22-2014, 10:21
So if you wait until someone gives you one on the trail and you don't like it do you just introduce yourself to the next person/group using your "real name" until you are given one you like?

As a section hiker, do you just accept a new trail name every time you go out?

I will never be a thru hiker.

lonehiker
10-22-2014, 10:28
So if you wait until someone gives you one on the trail and you don't like it do you just introduce yourself to the next person/group using your "real name" until you are given one you like?

As a section hiker, do you just accept a new trail name every time you go out?

I will never be a thru hiker.

Do whatever works for you.

Tuckahoe
10-22-2014, 11:05
Astute. By definition a trail name IS (your emphasis) a nickname. BUT (my emphasis) not all nicknames are trail names.

Forgive me as I am honestly having a hard time seeing a difference.

dangerdave
10-22-2014, 13:05
The minutia of hiking never ceases to amaze. I'm using the same nickname I've had for many years, because that's who I am, and that's how you all know me. No need to confuse everyone.

Mags
10-22-2014, 15:11

Ah..but let's use some logic: If you use a nickname on a trail, it IS also a trail name. Whowouldathunkit?

I'll leave the need for Super Secret Squirrel names to others. :)

Forgive me as I am honestly having a hard time seeing a difference.

There isn't. People like to create artificial and convoluted differences I suspect.

I'm using the same nickname I've had for many years, because that's who I am, and that's how you all know me. .

My nickname is a family nickname that is 80+ years old at this point. Apparently, it is not a real trail name even if I use it on the trail. I need to let the hiking community know that from this point forward I will forever be known as Obscure Lord of The Rings Literary Reference as my new trail name.

Though Mags has been used on trails for 17+ years now, it is not a real trail name as deemed by the High Holy Council of Hiking representative. Let it be known!

:D

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2014, 15:40
My nickname is a family nickname that is 80+ years old at this point. Apparently, it is not a real trail name even if I use it on the trail. I need to let the hiking community know that from this point forward I will forever be known as Obscure Lord of The Rings Literary Reference as my new trail name.

Though Mags has been used on trails for 17+ years now, it is not a real trail name as deemed by the High Holy Council of Hiking representative. Let it be known!

To give you fair warning, any time I meet someone on the trail that introduces them self as a lord of the rings reference, i automatically reassign them a name from the Harry Potter series. Gandolf becomes Dumbledor, Frodo becomes Harry Potter etc. I'll have to look back into the series to find a super obscure harry potter reference to assign to you. :D

[Disclaimer, this Elf works for Santa, not Tolkien :rolleyes:]

Starchild
10-22-2014, 16:07
To give you fair warning, any time I meet someone on the trail that introduces them self as a lord of the rings reference, i automatically reassign them a name from the Harry Potter series. Gandolf becomes Dumbledor, Frodo becomes Harry Potter etc. I'll have to look back into the series to find a super obscure harry potter reference to assign to you. :D

[Disclaimer, this Elf works for Santa, not Tolkien :rolleyes:]

Ummmm, why? :confused:

Starchild
10-22-2014, 16:14
IMHO a trail name is one used on the trail and accepted by the hiker. It does not matter the origins, just that is is what the hiker desires (or accepts) as a form of identity and recognition, and the recognition of other hikers in identifying the hiker by this name.

If the hiker desires a certain name and gets know by it it is in the recognition of othe rthru hikers of this name that gives it its status as a trail name.

rickb
10-22-2014, 16:46
My nickname is a family nickname that is 80+ years old at this point. Apparently, it is not a real trail name even if I use it on the trail.

Better than Magaroni.

Mags conveys a sense of authority.

When it comes to hikers, I am not so sure a rose is a rose by any name. Rather your moniker and persona are intertwined.

I am jealous.

Mags
10-22-2014, 17:01
Here's a helpful Venn diagram to illustrate the concept. ;)

For this diagram, the following people use the same nickname for their, er business activities AND on the trail:

Bugsy
Lucky
Nucky
Scarface

http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Protocols/venn_diagram.cgi?l1=4&l2=4&l3=&a=0&b=0&c=4&d=&draw2=1&t1=Nick%20Name&t2=Trail%20Name&t3=&cs=1

Look at that!

lonehiker
10-22-2014, 17:15
Here's a helpful Venn diagram to illustrate the concept. ;)

For this diagram, the following people use the same nickname for their, er business activities AND on the trail:

Bugsy
Lucky
Nucky
Scarface

http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Protocols/venn_diagram.cgi?l1=4&l2=4&l3=&a=0&b=0&c=4&d=&draw2=1&t1=Nick%20Name&t2=Trail%20Name&t3=&cs=1

Look at that!

Ah, how cute. Magnanti got out his crayons.

Mags
10-22-2014, 18:32
Ah, how cute. Magnanti got out his crayons.

Actually an online website! :) It was nice and simple for your benefit and I hope it illustrates our points for you in a nutshell. :D Thank you for the kind words!

lonehiker
10-22-2014, 20:29
:D Thank you for the kind words!

It is the least I could do.

lemon b
10-23-2014, 11:13
David, Yogi is just another leg.

jjozgrunt
10-26-2014, 06:38
I've got to say that sometimes the posts on this site about inconsequential rubbish numb my brain.

I got "Moose" in 1977 when I was posted to my first regular army unit (infantry). It was good enough for my "brothers from different mothers" it's good enough for me. But seriously call me that JJ, Jim or anything else as long as you smile when doing it, and I don't care.

If you are going to stress about something, make sure it's something important like where the next pub is or how to appear like your not ogling the half naked hiker girl/boy at the shelter or whether you should wear shoes or not on "Naked Hike Day" or how to get those day hikers to cough up their food and a cold drink? Worry about the really important things in life and you can't go wrong.

xrayextra
11-07-2014, 02:50
Your trail name could be cooler if given to you while on the trail, but it could be one you don't like. However, you'll have a story to go along with it when people ask, "Hey, how'd you get your trail name?" You'll hear that a lot.