PDA

View Full Version : My cook kit

Cedar1974
10-19-2014, 15:07
Here is my almost complete cook kit:

It all fits in this coffee can. The nice thing about this can is there are already measuring marks. The bottom mark is exactly 1 cup, and each line from there is half a cup. So it is cheap and helpful when measuring your water.

Next is a smaller can for heating water for coffee or tea. It is easier than heating the water in the larger pot and pouring it into a cup.

These are a pair of pop can stoves. they are double layered to help build up pressure.

http://youtu.be/7hdnBHb09iI?list=PLwMZyXBnG4EMdDask-PhsHnDJ3CuUcIbi Here is a video on how to make the stove.

And finally, a tiny medicine cup to measure out my cooking fuel. Total Cost, about $5.

kayak karl
10-19-2014, 18:41
what does it all weight ?

Woof Shaven
10-19-2014, 18:43
Great video. Professional looking outcome. I think I like your PBR design or at least your how to put it together over the fancy feast ones I have looked at.

Looks like it could even craft able on or near the trail assuming one had an awl (thumb tack) and scissors LeatherMan Raptor.

Work calls just now or I would type in some more accolades.

Cedar1974
10-19-2014, 19:22
what does it all weight ?

It comes out to just under 8 ounces. This is minus Fuel and the Can cozies I plan to make from Reflexix

Woof Shaven
10-19-2014, 19:41
Sweet piece of tackle.

I am stove shopping currently or at least cookware shopping. I'm a diet coke-aholic. I think my cans match up with your specifications for the project. I may give it a whirl. Hopefully my end-results will be a worthy addition to trekking accoutrements; otherwise I will probably end up splurging for one of those EverNew TI DX sets. Which looks almost functionally equivalent to one you show how to make.

I'm all thumbs but you make it look easy.
I'm definitely going to pursue a reflectix koozie project for my cookware.

Cedar1974
10-19-2014, 19:56
Sweet piece of tackle.

I am stove shopping currently or at least cookware shopping. I'm a diet coke-aholic. I think my cans match up with your specifications for the project. I may give it a whirl. Hopefully my end-results will be a worthy addition to trekking accoutrements; otherwise I will probably end up splurging for one of those EverNew TI DX sets. Which looks almost functionally equivalent to one you show how to make.

I'm all thumbs but you make it look easy.
I'm definitely going to pursue a reflectix koozie project for my cookware.

Yeah, I learned that wrapping your pot in reflectix after you take it off the fire will keep it nice and hot for a few hours, and it protects your hands from getting burned.

QHShowoman
10-19-2014, 20:42
Potentially stupid question, but won't the cans rust after awhile?

Cedar1974
10-19-2014, 20:49
Potentially stupid question, but won't the cans rust after awhile?

Well, they will if I don't dry them after use, but considering they are easy to replace, it isn't that big a deal. That's the best part about the whole thing, they are cheap and easy to find.

kayak karl
10-19-2014, 20:54
Well, they will if I don't dry them after use, but considering they are easy to replace, it isn't that big a deal. That's the best part about the whole thing, they are cheap and easy to find.
aren't they toxic when heated also ?

Cedar1974
10-19-2014, 20:58
aren't they toxic when heated also ?

Actually no. The large can is a coffe can, which does not have a BPA lining, the other is a Chunky Soup can, which also doesn't have a BPA lining. I made sure of this before I used them.