PDA

View Full Version : TarpTent StratoSpire2 or Six Moons Lunar Duo

BrianOH72
10-19-2014, 18:07
I'll be section hiking the AT next year with my wife and have narrowed down my tent purchase to either the Lunar Duo or StratoSpire2. Any feedback on either of them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mankind117
10-20-2014, 10:52
I have the Stratospire 2. It is about the same weight as the lunar duo but it is double walled. To me that means the SS2 is the way to go. Being the east you will experience condensation and you will be thankful for the double wall. I use it with my wife and it has plenty of space for two and gear with the huge vestibules. I'm 6'6" so am more concerned than most about the space inside tents so believe me when I say it is big inside. I also think that it is a stronger design design overall.

BrianOH72
10-20-2014, 11:45
Thanks for your input. I like the looks of both shelters. I am a little concerned having to seam seal the TarpTent myself. Did you seal yours? Also did you go with anything more than the screen for the inside tent? I know there are several different options.

mankind117
10-20-2014, 11:49
Although they don't advertise it, if you contact Tarptent they will seam seal it for 25$ but really seam sealing is not hard at all. You just need to set it up for a day. I have both the solid fabric and screen interiors. The solid fabric is good for cold windy weather.

BrianOH72
10-20-2014, 13:38
Thanks for your help!

Franco
10-20-2014, 17:30
Brian,
Seam sealing is now $30.
very easy to do with the SS2 because all seam are straight and no sleeves, so take a look at the 'how to ' video under Products-Videos
However it will take you at least an hour to do because there are several seams to do.
(you then leave the tent set up for a full day, a bit longer in hot really dry weather. Humidity cures silicone)
You can get a $7 kit with diluted silicone and a brush , under Extras in the order page.
If you want TT to do it for you, the seam sealing link is buried inside the FAQ , but here it is :
http://www.tarptent.com/cgi-bin/surfshop1/shop.cgi?&c=detail.htm&itemid=204
start the order from there.
If you don't already have spares, get 2 extra stakes (it comes with 6) and 2x 6' guylines for the apex guyout points.
Acc also under Extras.
franco@tarptent

bigcranky
10-20-2014, 19:58
I'll put in a plug for the Lunar Duo. We've owned a bunch of Tarptents and they are great, too. I've not slept in a Stratospire 2, but I've seen one erected -- looks pretty good. But the Lunar Duo is just awesome.

We use it in the East and yeah, there's condensation. Doesn't bother us usually.

hikingshoes
02-19-2015, 20:36
I lived in my Stratospire 1 for 3.5 months and the Lunar solo for a month... I've been through some bad thunderstorms in my Stratospire 1 it was bombproof. I had the older model lunar solo and it got wet inside it was a used one I got off BPL... I order the new model SMD lunar solo just set it up last wk to test it , after the strom...No rain inside!!! only had splatter on the netting which makes me wonder if my shoes would get wet. as of right now the Stratospire is my go to shelter right now,but ill test the lunar solo a little nore next wk to see which ill take on my thru hike this yr.

Franco
02-28-2015, 19:18
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/StratoSpire/SS2-Bluff-Spur-hut_zps5rerzrlv.jpg

This is a photo of my SS2 two days ago .
Same spot were I had my Noth over two feet of snow (and under one) a couple of winters ago.
At 8am it was 46F the first morning and 64f the next. Yes it felt a bit warmer...
This tent is good enough for me to share with my wife. She has a problem with snoring.
(BTW, I am with Tarptent, still I like the shelter...)

Franco
02-28-2015, 19:36
Oh dear, that was meant to say "where I had my Notch"

bigdboots
04-03-2015, 09:44
I have the Stratospire 2. It is about the same weight as the lunar duo but it is double walled. To me that means the SS2 is the way to go. Being the east you will experience condensation and you will be thankful for the double wall. I use it with my wife and it has plenty of space for two and gear with the huge vestibules. I'm 6'6" so am more concerned than most about the space inside tents so believe me when I say it is big inside. I also think that it is a stronger design design overall.

Mankind, at 6'6" your feet are not wet? That is my biggest issue and have been thinking about the SoLong6. How tall is the "bathtub" in the SS?