PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a lightweight/comfortable sleeping pad

BrianOH72
10-19-2014, 18:11
I'll be section hiking the AT next year and I need some help on finding a lightweight as well as comfortable sleeping pad. I'm 6'2", 225 lbs and sleep on my side or stomach. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old Hiker
10-19-2014, 20:02
I'm 6'2", 215, right side sleeper. I use the two below. Not UL, but I like them. I went to the Ridgerest after a regular closed cell pad - did me great. Got the Prolite to try - I like it as well, but I worry about holes. Still trying to decide which one to take in 2016.

The Ridgerest I can strap to the outside of my pack and use as a chair during rest stops.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermarest-Prolite-Sleeping-Pad-Regular/dp/B005I6UD8U/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1413763143&sr=1-2&keywords=thermarest

http://www.amazon.com/Therm---Rest-Ridge-Sleeping-Regular/dp/B000A8C5DC/ref=sr_1_5?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1413763187&sr=1-5&keywords=thermarest+ridgerest

Rocket Jones
10-20-2014, 06:16
Check out the NeoAir Trekker large. Very comfortable, and a little care will prevent punctures.

garlic08
10-20-2014, 08:08
Your pad choice may depend on the conditions you plan to encounter. Personally, I enjoyed sleeping on the deep leaf duff along most the AT where a pad is sort of unnecessary. But the one or two nights I decided to sleep on a plank shelter floor, or in a pounded dirt site near a shelter, the pad became more important. For most of the trip, a cheap, durable and lightweight closed-cell foam Z-rest worked great.

Lyle
10-20-2014, 12:09
Well, my tolerance has changed over the years.

20's, 30's and 40's - closed cell foam of one type or another. I never found the waffled pads like the Ridge Rest as comfortable or as warm as the standard blue foam or ensolite.

50's - ProLite was much more comfortable, reasonably light and quite durable - never had one puncture or leak on me.

60's (today) - NeoTherm is my pad of choice. VERY comfortable, reasonably light, most compact of any I've ever used, warm, and, so far, durable enough with reasonable care. The Neo Therm is made of slightly heavier materials than the NeoLite, so should be less delicate. They are expensive, though. I used the $100 gift card from opening an REI Visa account and the 20% member discount to get it for a VERY reasonable amount.

Old Hiker
10-20-2014, 13:24
Well, my tolerance has changed over the years.

60's (today) - ...................NeoTherm ......................

Neo-air X-therm?

Lyle
10-20-2014, 14:37
Neo-air X-therm?

Yeah, that's it, I just abbreviated. :)

Ktaadn
10-20-2014, 14:44
I'm 6-2ish and 205ish and my wife bought me a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core for xmas last year. I mostly sleep on my side and I really like the pad. It is a big upgrade over the Therm A Rest Prolite 4 that I used in the past.

bigcranky
10-20-2014, 14:56
I've been using a Prolite 4 since it came out (currently I think it's the Prolite Plus.) It's been fine. For a Long Trail hike this summer, I thought I would save a few ounces and get a 3/4 length version. That worked ok in my tent, but the first night in a shelter I was miserable -- that's when I noticed that every AT thru-hiker was using a Neoair of some sort. These folks had 1600+ miles to figure out the right pad, and they pretty much all voted the same way. So at the first town stop I got a Neoair and it's really quite comfortable.

Get the X-Therm if you want a year-round pad. My lovely wife has one and it's plenty warm enough for her in shoulder-season use.

Ercoupe
10-20-2014, 18:17
I use a klymit torso under a z-lite sol. Three puffs instead of 25. Some protection if I spring a leak. Combination is heavier than a large neo-air. Much easier to inflate and deflate. A three season set-up. Love the large z-lite for a seat at night or on the trail, during breaks.

Dholmblad
10-22-2014, 11:50
In the same boat as you. I am generally a side sleeper, coming in at 6'2 210lbs and am looking for a comfortable pad. In the past I had used closed cell.

I bought a pro lite womens at an REI garage sale for pretty cheap. Used it this past weekend and wasn't really blown away. It was really uncomfortable. I liked the big agnes qcore sl, but am worried because it took me and my gf 10 min to blow it up...

Rocket Jones
10-22-2014, 12:04
I liked the big agnes qcore sl, but am worried because it took me and my gf 10 min to blow it up...

In a hurry? ;)

Dholmblad
10-22-2014, 22:39
Yeah... I feel even breaking camp will be a pain. Sometimes I like doing high mile days and feel as if a pad that takes so long to fill could be annoying.

UofWHusky
10-23-2014, 23:02
Check out the REI Flash pad. The Regular pad (72 x 20) is very light (15.8 oz pad only), insulated (R 3.2), and 2.5 inches thick when inflated. It took me 15-18 breaths to inflate but I liked it this summer while hiking 1300 miles on the AT. I am a side sleeper and it was comfortable for me.

Dholmblad
10-23-2014, 23:52
Unfortunately the flash pad is too narrow for my shoulders. The air rail was right width, but way too heavy.

Lyle
10-24-2014, 05:58
One added feature of the X-Therm is that the stuff sack doubles as an inflation bag. In my experience in the Sierras a couple of months ago, it takes about 15 moderate sacks full of air to inflate. Quite easy to do once you get it attached, which can be a bit of a pain. Using the stuff sack to inflate it keeps the moisture from your exhaled air out of the pad and it is much less tiring, even at 11000+ feet.

24 consecutive nights on the pad - slept very comfortably, even on granite.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-24-2014, 07:15
One added feature of the X-Therm is that the stuff sack doubles as an inflation bag. In my experience in the Sierras a couple of months ago, it takes about 15 moderate sacks full of air to inflate. Quite easy to do once you get it attached, which can be a bit of a pain. Using the stuff sack to inflate it keeps the moisture from your exhaled air out of the pad and it is much less tiring, even at 11000+ feet.

24 consecutive nights on the pad - slept very comfortably, even on granite.

The pump that goes with it doesn't weigh much more and totally worth it IMO.

goldbug
02-25-2015, 14:48
Neo Air Xlite

v1k1ng1001
05-13-2015, 19:19
I've just posted basically the same question.

I've been really looking at the Gossamer Gear pads.

http://gossamergear.com/air-beam-sleepers.html

The 3/4 wide is 12 oz / $92. Thickness runs 2.5" tapering to 1.5. Width runs 27" tapering to 20". Sounds like a nice balance of price and comfort.

I just can't find many reviews on them. I don't mind dropping $90, but I hesitate on an under-tested product.

Considering pulling the trigger on a klymit pad from Amazon and returning it if I don't like it.

v1k1ng1001
05-13-2015, 19:22
I use a klymit torso under a z-lite sol. Three puffs instead of 25. Some protection if I spring a leak. Combination is heavier than a large neo-air. Much easier to inflate and deflate. A three season set-up. Love the large z-lite for a seat at night or on the trail, during breaks.

Curious about this. What Klymit are you using?

I'd consider the Klymit Inertia X Wave (3/4, 10 oz). Those gaps might be dicey with a quilt however.

namaste7
05-21-2015, 22:04
Has anyone tried the Sea to Summit Comfort plus insulator or sea to summit ultra light insulated sleeping pad? I'm trying to decide between these and the Q-core SL (insulated). I'm a very light sleeper need to know if the sea to summit pads are noisy.

Pastor Bryon
05-21-2015, 22:15
@namaste7 - just slept on a StoS Comfort Plus last week for a few nights. I also own a NeoAir All-Season and Trekker. I can honestly say my body (and particularly my back) were very happy the next morning after sleeping on the Comfort Plus. Before purchasing I had a chance to lay on the regular pad from StoS, and the Comfort Plus. IMO, you can tell the difference immediately with the extra dot welds in the torso area on the Plus.

Noise level was minimal, and definitely less than the NeoAir. Insulation not as good however (I got the regular one - Rvalue = 1.0).

I do like the 25 inch width on the NeoAir, but I've moved to a quilt that I can strap on, and the 21.5 inches on the StoS actually works quite well.

Hope that helps some. If you have any other questions, I'll share what I can.

namaste7
05-22-2015, 08:44
Pastor Byron,
Thanks so much for the input. I was really worried about the noise level and your response helped a lot. Also your comment about the comfort plus padding and comfort was helpful. I'm going to be ordering the StoS comfort plus. Happy trails.

Pastor Bryon
05-22-2015, 11:37
Enjoy! Let me know if you find your experience different than mine.