PDA

View Full Version : My dog is such [scaredy] cat! How to calm down in camp?

blaznsddlz
10-19-2014, 20:59
I recently brought my dog on his first small backpacking trip, just a quick 1 night-er 5 miles out on the trail. While I can confidently say he loves the hiking, he seems to hate the camping. He was restless all night, perked up and on alert, freaking out at every little sound in the woods.

Are there any tips/tricks to calming your pup down before shutting down for the night? I thought if anything, the long hike would tire him out enough to sleep easy, but I don’t think he slept more than an hour the whole night. I would like to take him on longer backpacking trips, but if the nights are going to stress him out this much, I would rather leave him home to save him the misery. Maybe I just need to take him out a few more times to get used to it?

saltysack
10-19-2014, 21:06
What breed? Maybe hike more miles...my jrt isn't even warmed up at 5 miles...after 15-20 miles he sleeps good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayak karl
10-19-2014, 21:11
your dog isn't a scaredy cat. it is just hearing unusual sounds and want to protect you. walk your dog 20 miles plus and it wont give a crap about protecting you and sleep like a baby :D

Spirit Walker
10-19-2014, 21:23
With our GR, time was the best teacher. With a little experience, he very quickly relaxed and became comfortable. He likes sharing our bed (which he doesn't do at home) and loves getting to explore new places.

Our first time camping with him was at a very quiet car campground. Ben was so excited, he wouldn't even sit down and he didn't want to eat; he just paced back and forth (on a long tie out). It wasn't until we went to bed (we slept in the back of our pickup) that he sort of relaxed. The next time we went camping, he was fine. On our first backpacking trip, a raccoon yowled next to the tent (raccoon mating is noisy) and Ben tore right through the tent. The next time we were out, he was fine. He has been backpacking only a half dozen times but we've been car camping a hundred or more nights, and he is completely comfortable with both. Fortunately, no more raccoons screaming, but we've had deer walk by (he barked) and fireworks and thunderstorms (he was inside so not too scared) and lots of dogs and kids. Dogs are incredibly adaptable, it just takes a few times.

In the meantime, make sure your dog is always leashed. We went backpacking once with someone whose dog took off in the morning while we were packing up. She didn't come back for about 3 hours, and we were lucky she did then.

July
10-19-2014, 21:34
The more time you spend with your dog in the woods, the better. Also keep in mind that our best friends are nocturnal in nature, descended from wolves. They like to sleep during the day, and hunt at night. A good compromise as mentioned above, is to get him on your sched, big miles during the day :)

blaznsddlz
10-19-2014, 21:44
He’s a lab, but is a little overweight so we’re still working on up-ing his milage. We got a late start and had to set up while it was getting pretty dark, otherwise we still would have gone a few more miles. He did have a chance to protect me from that terrifying armadillo that came barging near camp (now those are some dumb animals, no wonder so many of them are dead on the roads)

I was in a hammock and didn’t put the tarp up, so he may have been a little spooked by being so unprotected. Maybe I should put the tarp all the way to the ground at least on one side to help ease his mind.

The general response seems to be HIKE LONGER! I think I’ll try hiking a bit longer next time to make sure he’s really tired, making sure not to overdo it of course. However, between the hike to camp, the sleepless night, and the hike back to the car, he has been completely exhausted today. He’s moved maybe about 20 feet in the house from one sleeping spot to another J Thanks for the responses!

blaznsddlz
10-19-2014, 21:47
Also keep in mind that our best friends are nocturnal in nature, descended from wolves. They like to sleep during the day, and hunt at night.

I was thinking the same thing as the coyotes were yipping and howling in the distance!

July
10-19-2014, 21:56
I was thinking the same thing as the coyotes were yipping and howling in the distance!
Yep when laying around the house, comforts of home, etc, our dogs exhibit 'that' behavior. When off the grid in deep woods, old instincts come alive...:)

July
10-19-2014, 22:04
Also if you hang your hammock close to the ground so that he can 'nest' with you, should ease him some...

Wise Old Owl
10-19-2014, 22:06
Funny Boy Scouts do the same thing... just keep up the good work... the dog will calm down ,,, if not give the dog a beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLGAeoMZs8

jarrett.morgan
10-20-2014, 16:27
A little more to add to the conversation. You have to make the entire experience fun (not just the hike), so right before bed give your pup some good treats. I would repeat this once both of you were settled in for sleep. Another strategy I use, if something is going on around our campsite and BeeGee won't settle down, I will brush her with a tiny hand brush I bring along. This always takes her mind off of anything going on around us and puts her to sleep.

Dogtra
10-20-2014, 19:40
Habituation: The reduction of a psychological or behavioral response occurring when a specific stimulus occurs repeatedly.

As far as I can tell your dog is not used to camping, especially the sounds and smells that come with it. Anything that a dog is unfamiliar with will act in a manner such as this, whether out of fear or not. Exhausting a dog helps but is not a solution to the underlying problem. I tell my clients, "An exhausted dog is a good dog," often enough. But it will never be the fix to behavioral issues. You must familiarize your dog to being in that type of environment to the point that he can relax under all the stimuli that he is being assaulted with.

- Camp in the wilderness as often as possible.
- When you can't camp in the wilderness, your backyard is a good substitute.
- If you can not do either of the above then play a wilderness soundtrack at night in your home. This isn't a replacement for the different smells that wilderness camping offers but it is much better than nothing. Most home environments at night are stimulus vacuums, quiet and filled with the odors of "home".

It is unfair for us to expect dogs to stay relaxed in an unfamiliar environment. It is akin to me kidnapping someone, locking them up in a haunted house at night, and saying "sleep well". Really?

Many of the best dog breeders I know begin addressing this problem as soon as litters are born. They do little things like have them sleep outside. They post a partially tied tarp that makes more noise when it slaps around in the wind. They will raise them near other animals, like chickens and horses. The breeders will also introduce other stimuli like water sprinklers on timers, music, and kids running around screaming. Some of the calmest dogs I know were raised like that.

canoe
10-20-2014, 21:00
The first time I took my pup on the trail she stood guard the entire night. The next night she slept. So many strange sounds. All you pup needs is experience and encouragement

canoe
10-20-2014, 21:03
O yeah I remember the tent being an issue as well. So when we got home I set it up in the house and let her get use to it. Rolled the doors up so she could get in and out easy ...next thing you know she napping in the tent. Next time we went out is was like home sweet home. Good luck. I thinks bringing your dog along adds to the experience.