PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Shenandoah National Park

ht61
10-19-2014, 21:32
I am planning to do a section hike of the AT through Shenandoah National Park as a possible prelude to a thru hike. I plan on starting about the first weekend in June and hiking north. I am looking for suggestions for a good place to leave a vehicle on the north side of the park while I am hiking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnybgood
10-19-2014, 21:51
www.nova4h.com (http://www.nova4h.com)/

Simply let them know your plans and fill out a vehicle registration form and you are good to go.

GoldenBear
10-19-2014, 22:08
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96076-Front-Royal-Terrapin-Station-Hostel-%28FRTSH%29

You can park your car there, get a shuttle, and spend either your first or last night there.

Give Mike a call, explain what you'd like, and the two of you will be able to work out an arrangement of services at a typical price.

Mike2012
10-20-2014, 01:54
There are enough side trails you might be able to do some awesome loops!

twilight
10-20-2014, 08:32
I recently finished the same hike but I broke it up in 2 sections. I hiked both of them southbound. I considered using Mike at Terrapin Station on the north side but you reach his hostel from a side trail or road walk that didn't allow me to connect my already completed sections. Since you are from TN consider doing the park southbound, there is plenty of parking in Rockfish Gap(I've left my car there twice). Park your car in the old HJ parking lot near Big Momma's Kettle Corn(big yellow bus) and shuttle north and hike back to your car. Call Rockfish Gap Outfitters 540-943-1461 for help with a shuttle or check the ATC's shuttle list on their website.

On the northside of the park, there is a very small hiker's parking lot along US522. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my car there for a week or so after I saw it.

The other thing about Terrapin Station, in the most rescent edition of the AT Journeys magazine the hostel is currently for sale.

Twilight