PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Fork to Allen Gap-Be Careful

The Cleaner
10-19-2014, 22:12
I just got back this afternoon from a trip up Bullen Hollow trail to Jones Meadow and over to Jerry's Cabin shelter. Just wanted to check on things there and check out the fall color. Upon arriving at the shelter on Saturday, a lost bear hound also showed up with 3 day hikers. I was just fixing my lunch and the bear hound wanted some too. He tried to get my just grilled spam and bagel sandwich on the picnic table and when I grabbed his collar he bit my wrist but with help from the day hikers they pulled him off and the bite was not serious. Barely broke the skin and no bleeding. This dog was not shy,as some are, and the day hiker got out a .380 pistol and fired 2 rounds into the ground near the dog trying to scare him off. This dog didn't even hear or react to the gunfire. The day hikers also said that they saw someone with a rifle in the field above the shelter and he was not too friendly. The dog followed the day hikers when they left but was back this morning moving southbound. About 4pm a hunter with a lever action rifle passed by the shelter and I told him about the dog and he said he would check via portable radio if anyone he knew was missing a dog. So early this morning when I got to the ridge top(and cell service) I called Greene Co. Sheriff's Dept. The officer I spoke with said that there is no hunting season open yet for guns only archery. The SO relayed my info to the TWRA and an officer did call me but I was out of the cell service area when he called. He left his name and said for me to contact him. I tried to call him back in a short while but got his voicemail. I'm going to call first thing tomorrow and find out what can be hunted both in TN and NC as the trail follows the state line in this section. Over the weekend I met about 30 section hikers and was concerned about the dog and the hunter(poacher?). I'll post again when I find out who can hunt what and when. So anyone planning to hike this section and other nearby areas should BOLO for loose dogs and possible illegal hunters.A can of bear or pepper spray might be useful for the dogs but if you encounter armed "hunters" be wary and move on. I'm not trying to alarm anyone but just be forewarned that hunting season for some is on and they may or may not be friendly and there may be more dogs loose and or lost in this area.

The Cleaner
10-20-2014, 08:42
I just spoke with a TWRA officer about the lost bear dog I encountered over the weekend. Hunting season is open in NC for hunters with guns and dogs. There is a short season for archery bear hunting in TN but they do not use dogs. As for hikers with companion dogs, they MUST BE ON A LEASH AT ALL TIMES while on any wildlife management area. This is to prevent dogs harassing wildlife and to protect them from wildlife. The officer told me a bear hunter lost 2 $1500 bear hounds who "had their brains slapped out" by the bear they were chasing. TWRA officers will be in the local area at times during the next few months checking on persons in violation of any regulations. Just an FYI folks, happy hiking to all.:sun

hikernutcasey
10-20-2014, 09:21
This is definitely concerning. Over the weekend I had read a story about a lady and her dogs that were attacked by a group of bear hounds in the Smokies. You can read about it here (http://www.my40.tv/news/features/top-stories/stories/great-smoky-mountains-dog-attack-18169.shtml#.VEUMAPnF98E).

saltysack
10-20-2014, 10:04
Looks like my pack weight went up few oz....Glock 27 40 cal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
10-20-2014, 10:23
Can't believe hunting deer or bear is still legal....I'm heading out tonight on section from standing indian to fontana dam...is this area open to hunting?

saltysack
10-20-2014, 10:24
Can't believe hunting deer or bear is still legal....I'm heading out tonight on section from standing indian to fontana dam...is this area open to hunting?

W dogs...

RED-DOG
10-20-2014, 10:35
It is Hunting season so expect these types of encounters, it was said that the hunters should keep their dogs on a leash and how many hikers really keep their dogs on a leash at all times not too many, THIS IS A NONE ISSUE. Most folks blows this type encounters way out of proportion. Theirs no need to carry a gun either.

saltysack
10-20-2014, 10:44
It is Hunting season so expect these types of encounters, it was said that the hunters should keep their dogs on a leash and how many hikers really keep their dogs on a leash at all times not too many, THIS IS A NONE ISSUE. Most folks blows this type encounters way out of proportion. Theirs no need to carry a gun either.

Was kidding....agreed...dam pack is too heavy already...is it gun or archery season in the Nantahala area?

dmax
10-20-2014, 11:19
I saw a hunter come out of the woods yesterday just north of BeautySpot. We chatted for a bit then he headed for his ride that showed up.

Bear Cables
10-20-2014, 11:21
We were at Jerry's cabin October 10 and there were 3 bear dogs hanging around. They were docile and were around all night. We could here them chasing and barking during the night.

RED-DOG
10-20-2014, 11:28
Was kidding....agreed...dam pack is too heavy already...is it gun or archery season in the Nantahala area?

I think it's BOW season, rifle season starts later in November.
For the most part hunters are nice folks, but their dogs are breed to hunt it's what they do and they do get very Tempermental at times.

saltysack
10-20-2014, 11:33
Thx..

Seatbelt
10-20-2014, 11:44

Yes. I have run into several bear hunters in this area with dogs--all were very nice and respectful also.

saltysack
10-20-2014, 11:46
Thx...I'm hitting the trail tonight w my 18lb jack Russell I'll keep an eye out....

The Cleaner
10-20-2014, 12:27
Hunting seasons vary from state to state. If you need info and may be concerned, check via the interweb as to what the local regulations are for the area you plan to hike. The TWRA officer also told me that those who have concealed carry permits in TN, it is illegal to brandish your weapon unless you are in eminent danger or fear bodily harm. Even just shooting at a few cans or other targets is prohibited unless on private property or at a shooting range.

QHShowoman
10-20-2014, 12:38

This is the second report of a run-in with unleashed hunting dogs in the past week. This is not a "non-issue" to those that were attacked. It is far better to share this information so others can be on alert than to just sweep things under the rug. And yes, by all means, dogs on the trail should be leashed regardless of whether they belong to hikers or hunters.

RED-DOG
10-20-2014, 13:03
Hunting Dogs are BREED to Hunt they are not breed to do anything else,. the hunters release them at a certain spot and the dogs get a cent and they run until they catch up to the animal and then they do what's called baying until the hunter gets to them and shoots said animal, the dogs do have tracking collars on them, some of these dogs are worth thousands of dollars so yes the owners do know where their dogs are, these dogs are not LOST, I know this cause I do own a couple of these hunting dogs and I do hunt, so no a hunting dog cannot be leashed and should not be leashed. sometimes I run my dogs for 2,3,4 days at a time, I say again these dogs are NOT LOST

Hiking dogs on the other hand should be leashed at all times, these dogs have done instrumental damage to peoples gear, shelters and attacked people, I say this from experience with these MEAN dogs, in my opinion these troublesome dogs are best when left home.

QHShowoman
10-20-2014, 13:13
Hiking dogs on the other hand should be leashed at all times, these dogs have done instrumental damage to peoples gear, shelters and attacked people, I say this from experience with these MEAN dogs, in my opinion these troublesome dogs are best when left home.

This thread isn't about hikers' dogs, but run-ins with hunting dogs.

There are a gazillion threads about hikers bringing dogs on the AT if you want to rant about leashing (and although I am more tempered in my views, we are on the same side of the issue, as far as that's concerned).

RED-DOG
10-20-2014, 14:01
[QUOTE=QHShowoman;1916385]This thread isn't about hikers' dogs, but run-ins with hunting dogs.

There are a gazillion threads about hikers bringing dogs on the AT if you want to rant about leashing (and although I am more tempered in my views, we are on the same side of the issue, as far as that's concerned).[/QUOT
Hiker dogs are way more troublesome than Hunting dogs ever will be, and if your going to quote me quote me correctly not just part of it.

RED-DOG
10-20-2014, 14:15
This is the second report of a run-in with unleashed hunting dogs in the past week. This is not a "non-issue" to those that were attacked. It is far better to share this information so others can be on alert than to just sweep things under the rug. And yes, by all means, dogs on the trail should be leashed regardless of whether they belong to hikers or hunters.
This is a NONE ISSUE and if anybody was actually attacked "which I don't believe" by a hunting dog well they probably asked for it.

rafe
10-20-2014, 14:18
A non-issue reported twice in two weeks by separate hikers in separate locations. :rolleyes:

RED-DOG
10-20-2014, 14:43
A non-issue reported twice in two weeks by separate hikers in separate locations. :rolleyes:
2 weeks huh, I don't believe anybody was attacked, I think that people saw a dog on a cent of his prey and they got nervous and started dialing numbers on their cell then they kinda stretched the truth a little to try to make the hunting dogs out to be mean animals, Hikers have a tendency to blow stuff way way out of proportion, hikers have been known to spin the truth especially when it interrupts their lunch or their precious picture. and if any body was attacked they asked for it.
I will always defend hunters and their dogs over disrespectful and rude hikers any day of the week
This thread is shameful

QHShowoman
10-20-2014, 14:54

Clearly, if you've had run-ins with MEAN hikers' dogs, you must have been doing something to provoke them.

saltysack
10-20-2014, 15:00
I'm assuming she was bit when trying to break up the dogs as they fought...not really an attack,,,just guessing

Sly
10-20-2014, 17:43
This is a NONE ISSUE and if anybody was actually attacked "which I don't believe" by a hunting dog well they probably asked for it.

The Cleaner in his opening post said he was bitten on the wrist trying to eat lunch. The dog was lucky only warning shots were fired.

Bear dogs are left for days without food and often tag on to hikers looking for food. IMO, that's abuse.

Lauriep
10-21-2014, 15:56
Here's information on how and when to report an incident that occurs on the A.T., from ATC's website at appalachiantrail.org/incidents (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/report-an-incident).

Report an Incident

In an emergency requiring immediate medical or law-enforcement response—call 911 or other local emergency number (other telephone numbers are listed on A.T. maps). Tell the dispatcher you are an Appalachian Trail hiker, and provide your location (include name and approximate distance of nearest town and nearest road if possible). Report the emergency, and then ask the dispatcher to contact the Shenandoah National Park 24-hour communications center at 800-732-0911. The communications center will notify the NPS chief ranger for the Appalachian Trail.

Report all incidents on the Appalachian Trail. Suspicious or illegal activity that does not require emergency response should be reported as soon as possible to local rangers or local law-enforcement. It also should be reported to ATC, which will share the information as appropriate with the NPS-A.T. Park Office and other agencies, law-enforcement officials, and Appalachian Trail clubs.

Reporting incidents or suspicious behavior helps the land-managing agencies, law-enforcement officials, ATC, and the Appalachian Trail clubs become aware of criminal activity, vandalism, resource and facility damage, and possible threats to hiker safety on the Trail. This helps to determine steps that may need to be taken to resolve a situation. A seemingly isolated incident may be linked to others—if they’re not reported, no one will make that connection.

ATC Incident Report Form can be saved to your computer, completed electronically and then e-mailed, or it can be printed, completed, and then faxed or mailed to the ATC. Incidents also may be reported by telephone to the ATC headquarters at 304-535-6331 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday. The ATC offices are closed on most federal holidays, on the day after Thanksgiving, and on December 24.

Where to submit completed incident forms:

E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: 304-535-2667
Mail: Incident, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, P.O. Box 807, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425

ATC does not have law enforcement authority, but given the National Park Service's very small A.T. staff and ATC's lead partnership role in managing a national park that spans 14 states, we often assist in communication between the public and the NPS.

Laurie P.
ATC

BuckeyeBill
10-21-2014, 17:19
Here's information on how and when to report an incident that occurs on the A.T., from ATC's website at appalachiantrail.org/incidents (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/report-an-incident).

Report an Incident

In an emergency requiring immediate medical or law-enforcement response—call 911 or other local emergency number (other telephone numbers are listed on A.T. maps). Tell the dispatcher you are an Appalachian Trail hiker, and provide your location (include name and approximate distance of nearest town and nearest road if possible). Report the emergency, and then ask the dispatcher to contact the Shenandoah National Park 24-hour communications center at 800-732-0911. The communications center will notify the NPS chief ranger for the Appalachian Trail.

Report all incidents on the Appalachian Trail. Suspicious or illegal activity that does not require emergency response should be reported as soon as possible to local rangers or local law-enforcement. It also should be reported to ATC, which will share the information as appropriate with the NPS-A.T. Park Office and other agencies, law-enforcement officials, and Appalachian Trail clubs.

Reporting incidents or suspicious behavior helps the land-managing agencies, law-enforcement officials, ATC, and the Appalachian Trail clubs become aware of criminal activity, vandalism, resource and facility damage, and possible threats to hiker safety on the Trail. This helps to determine steps that may need to be taken to resolve a situation. A seemingly isolated incident may be linked to others—if they’re not reported, no one will make that connection.

ATC Incident Report Form can be saved to your computer, completed electronically and then e-mailed, or it can be printed, completed, and then faxed or mailed to the ATC. Incidents also may be reported by telephone to the ATC headquarters at 304-535-6331 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday. The ATC offices are closed on most federal holidays, on the day after Thanksgiving, and on December 24.

Where to submit completed incident forms:

E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: 304-535-2667
Mail: Incident, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, P.O. Box 807, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425

ATC does not have law enforcement authority, but given the National Park Service's very small A.T. staff and ATC's lead partnership role in managing a national park that spans 14 states, we often assist in communication between the public and the NPS.

Laurie P.
ATC

Thanks Laurie

david_1
10-21-2014, 20:07
I got bit the other day, it was not the dogs fault he was quite happy to defend his house/back yard. I entered his domain... he bit me LOL his owners were worried I just laughed yes it hurt yes there was blood but. if I had stayed behind the gate I could never of been hurt. what is most strange is the dog turns to friendly when he works out your not going to back down.

runwyld
10-21-2014, 20:42
To the OP, if this happened LAST Saturday, the 11th, bear season had not yet opened in NC. If this was the case, the hunters you encountered were hunting illegally.

I also had a negative encounter with bear dogs. See the thread in the Great Smoky Mountains forum.

Red Dog, I know you hate the idea that you are wrong about what happened, but feel free to look at the pictures on the Facebook page "Justice for Kadie." You can see this wasn't "some poor startled girl who was scared of dogs." Pretty sure the wounds speak for themselves.

To anyone else who is interested, hunting dogs appear to have more protection than you do. Check out the laws in NC to be informed. (E.g. dogs in a lawful hunt appear to be excluded from being cited for aggressive behavior). This is one law we are going to try to change.

The Cleaner
10-21-2014, 21:41
To the OP, if this happened LAST Saturday, the 11th, bear season had not yet opened in NC. If this was the case, the hunters you encountered were hunting illegally.

I also had a negative encounter with bear dogs. See the thread in the Great Smoky Mountains forum.

Red Dog, I know you hate the idea that you are wrong about what happened, but feel free to look at the pictures on the Facebook page "Justice for Kadie." You can see this wasn't "some poor startled girl who was scared of dogs." Pretty sure the wounds speak for themselves.

To anyone else who is interested, hunting dogs appear to have more protection than you do. Check out the laws in NC to be informed. (E.g. dogs in a lawful hunt appear to be excluded from being cited for aggressive behavior). This is one law we are going to try to change. This was the main reason I contacted the Greene co. Sheriff's Dept. and had them give my cell # to the TWRA who returned my call. He was going to follow up and contact the owner of the dog that bit me. The bite was not bad at all, I just wanted to report in case something else happened to some hiker from out of the area not familiar with how bear hunters were out in the area. The TWRA officer told me that bear season is indeed open in this section of NC. As for RED DOG'S ATTITUDE, well I guess his comments are covered by the 1st amendment. I have been hiking in this area for over 30 years and had many encounters with bear hounds, mostly annoying 1st time bitten though.

One Half
10-22-2014, 05:54

Keep in mind that some states allow archery hunting during the firearms season as well. AFAIK most/all states are open to something right now for archery season and I think bird season is open in most areas (shotguns). If you are out at this time of year in New England - wear orange.

saltysack
10-22-2014, 09:50
Currently hiking between standian indian and telico gap...came across 2 of these bear dogs.....both were mostly friendly. One did growl at my jrt.....got kicked w my size 12.....mostly friendly as he followed is for about 5 miles..they are not all bad as I witnessed it clean up a fresh steamer... paper and all!!! Nasty sh.. Eaters[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/3da1e516d28135e304f33a3401a889fb.jpg[/IMG

saltysack
10-22-2014, 10:06
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/9987e657c470403aafd385f25d06f5f4.jpg

Bucketfoot
10-22-2014, 19:17
Another hikers dog could very well have done the same thing. When bear hounds take off after a bear they often end up miles away from their owners. most pose no threat. The person who got bit was seen by the dog as someone taking his food.

JumpMaster Blaster
10-22-2014, 23:29

No need to carry a gun unless there are aggressive "hunting" dogs and irresponsible assed hunters. Thank you but if someone wants to carry there's no need to argue their decision, just like if someone chooses to sleep with their food or filter their water.

HYOH

August W.
10-23-2014, 00:04
If you use dogs to hunt bear you aren't doing half the hunting that your dogs are. What do you really hunt other than bear habitat and access to it? Your dog's do all the hunting and you simply point and shoot. Give your dog's all the credit because they do all the hunting. I say this as a hiker and a hunter who has successfully hunted bear with nothing more than stealth, patience, and a camera. Train your dog's well and accept the fact that if they attack a human and/or someone's pet they may likely meet the same fate as the bear they are hunting.

LittleRock
10-27-2014, 12:11
Had a similar encounter in TN a couple weeks ago. Stopped for the evening at Iron Mtn Shelter when a hunting dog (with no collar or tags) shows up and goes straight for my food. Poor thing looked like it had gotten lost and hadn't eaten in days, but I didn't have any extra food and didn't want it following me all the way to Damascus.

Thankfully, I managed to secure my food and after some yelling and a couple of gentle kicks it ran off into the woods again. But, if it had gotten aggressive I wouldn't have hesitated to put it down.

WILLIAM HAYES
10-27-2014, 22:13
I have never known a hunting dog to be aggressive to humans other dogs may be a different story. I have encountered hunting dogs and hunters on the trail many times both the dogs and hunters have always been friendly. I came from a family of hunters who raised hunting dogs our dogs were trained to hunt and be obedient They were aggressive with game but never with human beings,The only aggressive dogs I have ever encountered were poorly trained pets not hunting dogs-