PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry south for a week. What a great adventure

Gambit McCrae
10-20-2014, 10:43
Well I got back saturday night after 8 days on the trail. Man where to begin. This was my longest trip thus far and what a success it was! We planned for 115 miles and came out iwth 105. Had lots of rain the first 4 days and that slowed our pace. Below are just some bulletpoints of my highlights including some shout outs to some great folks I met.

People I met:
Southbounders:
Freebird
Cottton
Mellow and Yellow(dog)
Snags

I met a yoyo'r who I think is going to make it the whole way back to Springer, His name was Fynn

Bussiness' along the journey:
Mark Strings was our shuttle and was A+ Proffessional, communication was good and informative. Great trip and at $1 a mile it couldnt havebeen beat.

The caretakers at Blackburn were very nice

Bears Den was great

We hitched into Purcellville for dinner and a beer-Appalachian Outdoors was very helpfull and friendly

we ate at Magnolias and it was pricy but very good

The Cabbin- Front Royal hostel/ B&B in the making. Scott and Lisa put us up $20 a night for 3 nights as we slackpacked the rainy days and they could not be of better class. They understand the needs of hikers and cater directly to that. You feel more like you are in their home then a hostel. Great place.

A1 taxi service in Front Royal. Great people as well. Pretty much $1 per mile

SNP rangers: They let us in the park driving wise for free because we asked nicely lol

Breaktime Billiards,Laundry, Front Royal Post office - all very friendly

What a great trip, I didnt want to come home!

favorite climbs were Marys rock and Old stony Man Summit.

I pulled 3 purest acts of backtracking 1 mile each time due to looping around on blue blazes and taking the horse trail down old stony man, so I walked back up stony man just to touch the blazes lol

Im glad I completed the roller coaster but probably wont be doing it again lol

wornoutboots
10-20-2014, 12:04
Sounds like a fun trip!! I'm heading out @ Thanksgiving to hike from HF to Buena Vista.

johnnybgood
10-20-2014, 12:45
I pulled 3 purest acts of backtracking 1 mile each time due to looping around on blue blazes and taking the horse trail down old stony man, so I walked back up stony man just to touch the blazes lol

Im glad I completed the roller coaster but probably wont be doing it again lol

Did you do the Bearfence loop rock scramble ? Only 0.1 tenth mile off the AT it loops back around to reconnect . Perfect time for a slack pack if you can arrange it.

The rollercoaster is boring. Done it once...never again.

Gambit McCrae
10-20-2014, 12:52
Skipped the bearfence loop, by this time we had all the walking we could handle lol
rolloercoaster was a good conditioner for the rest of the week. Marys rock was amazing. I rock scrambled all the way up to the benchmark in the highest rock...a little nerve racking but I didnt fall lol

DeerPath
10-20-2014, 15:55
Glad you had great hike.

illabelle
10-20-2014, 16:18
We might be doing the rollercoaster over Thanksgiving weekend. Can't say I'm looking forward to it exactly, but it will get it out of the way anyhow.
Please send me contact info for your shuttler. We'll be going from Ashby Gap to HF.

JeffBliss
10-20-2014, 16:51
Honestly, the roller coaster isn't that bad. For me, it was the heat and humidity that made it especially brutal. There are climbs yes but there are also some flat spots in between the climbs and streams in between those climbs. Go in it with the right attitude and you will enjoy your 13 mile hike through the roller coaster :)