PDA

View Full Version : AT at Watauga Dam Road?

joec
10-20-2014, 14:14
I am going to take a group of newbies to do a short hike this Friday. I want to get to the AT crossing at Watauga Dam road but am having a difficult time finding this on Mapquest. It gets me to Wilbur Dam Rd. Has the road names been changed? I will be coming into this hike from Boone and dropping one car at the Hwy 321 crossing, and going onto the Dam. Any info appreciated.

wornoutboots
10-20-2014, 14:24
This is actually one of the only confusing parts of the AT I have come upon. The trail here, I was told in some guide books have 2 options, the road & the trail through the woods are both the AT? Is that correct?? So when you do find the correct road, make sure you do go all the way to the dam where the trail exits the woods South of the dam. Sorry I wasn't any help, but I wanted to point this out due the confusion.

10-K
10-20-2014, 14:35
The best bet is to park on Hwy 321 where the AT crosses the hwy. There's parking for several cars there.

(oh, I see you're already doing that with one car, sorry.)

hikernutcasey
10-20-2014, 15:31
I am going to take a group of newbies to do a short hike this Friday. I want to get to the AT crossing at Watauga Dam road but am having a difficult time finding this on Mapquest. It gets me to Wilbur Dam Rd. Has the road names been changed? I will be coming into this hike from Boone and dropping one car at the Hwy 321 crossing, and going onto the Dam. Any info appreciated.I must be confused. I looked at Google Earth but only see Wilbur Dam Rd. as well. You say you dropping one car at Hwy 321...the Watauga Dam Rd you speak of...how many miles is it supposed to be from the Hwy 321 parking area? The Wilbur Dam Rd crossing is only a short distance (like just over a mile or so) from Hwy 321. I'm assuming you want to hike further than that?

joec
10-20-2014, 15:47
I must be confused. I looked at Google Earth but only see Wilbur Dam Rd. as well. You say you dropping one car at Hwy 321...the Watauga Dam Rd you speak of...how many miles is it supposed to be from the Hwy 321 parking area? The Wilbur Dam Rd crossing is only a short distance (like just over a mile or so) from Hwy 321. I'm assuming you want to hike further than that?

It looks to be about a 4 mile hike from my AT Map. I will drive out of Boone, drop a car at 321 and then drive around to Elizabethton and come in from that direction to get to the road crossing with the AT on the other side of the lake. On my AT map, it shows Watauga Dam Road on the profile map, but I do not see it on the map itself.

illabelle
10-20-2014, 16:14
We hiked that area a while back. I found this picture online that looks pretty much how I remember it. Wilbur Dam is an earthen dam, and I'm not sure they allow traffic on it.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzyi1Hssa4IBxzYOYmBK42RBPfY3OSL IvmjG_vviGc1GzsZ_qg
Maybe this map will help. Or maybe not. It shows the AT at Watauga Dam, not Wilbur.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMdL-lZ0tA49hxw3aThChQCdqhqkZ2ML_3XqYarlcYiZd8uhSy

Seatbelt
10-20-2014, 16:31
It looks to be about a 4 mile hike from my AT Map. I will drive out of Boone, drop a car at 321 and then drive around to Elizabethton and come in from that direction to get to the road crossing with the AT on the other side of the lake. On my AT map, it shows Watauga Dam Road on the profile map, but I do not see it on the map itself.
I think the road got misnamed in the past and is actually Wilbur Dam road; however, you can't drive all the way down to the north edge of the dam even tho the road is there--one must hike up the road(NOBO) and then into the woods for a short ways to the next road. I forget the name of this road, but there is a small parking place there. Reverse the course if going SOBO. You can leave a car by the picnic area at the side of the lake if desired. Hope this doesn't confuse you more!!

joec
10-20-2014, 16:38
I think the road got misnamed in the past and is actually Wilbur Dam road; however, you can't drive all the way down to the north edge of the dam even tho the road is there--one must hike up the road(NOBO) and then into the woods for a short ways to the next road. I forget the name of this road, but there is a small parking place there. Reverse the course if going SOBO. You can leave a car by the picnic area at the side of the lake if desired. Hope this doesn't confuse you more!!

I did the northbound hike several years ago, and hired a shuttle to drop me on what I thought was Watauga Dam Road, and I hiked back into Damascus. I just remember him driving down some paved road and dropping me where the AT crossed. I thought it was a regular state road, but cannot remember that clearly.

Seatbelt
10-20-2014, 17:10
I did the northbound hike several years ago, and hired a shuttle to drop me on what I thought was Watauga Dam Road, and I hiked back into Damascus. I just remember him driving down some paved road and dropping me where the AT crossed. I thought it was a regular state road, but cannot remember that clearly.

Was that on the south side of the lake or up on the ridge north of the dam?? 321 is the state hiway on the south side of the dam and the AT crosses right at the picnic area. The county road(paved) north of the dam is what I was referring to that gets mistaken with different names sometimes.
As far as a road named Watauga Lake Rd, I am not the person to ask about that, a local person can help you more there. Your shuttler should be able to answer these questions, I would thing. Good Luck!!

joec
10-20-2014, 18:12
Was that on the south side of the lake or up on the ridge north of the dam?? 321 is the state hiway on the south side of the dam and the AT crosses right at the picnic area. The county road(paved) north of the dam is what I was referring to that gets mistaken with different names sometimes.
As far as a road named Watauga Lake Rd, I am not the person to ask about that, a local person can help you more there. Your shuttler should be able to answer these questions, I would thing. Good Luck!!

I had Mount Rogers Outfitters take me there from Damascus and would imagine they came in from the north but cannot remember.

mountain squid
10-20-2014, 19:02
The name of the road is Wilbur Dam Rd. You'll drive right by Wilbur Dam before hitting the trailhead. Watauga Dam is the 'earthen dam' and there is a road which leads to it, but it is behind a locked gate (the AT is on that road for several hundred yards).

Bear in mind (pun intended) that this area (from 321 to Wilbur Dam Rd) is 'closed' due to bear activity. You should be ok, but see this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?104407-Bear-Closure-around-Watauga-Lake-TN&highlight=).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

LittleRock
10-21-2014, 16:21
Just hiked this section last week. There is a road going over the dam but it is closed to public traffic. The trail follows this road over the dam and a little ways beyond. The first public road about 1.5 miles north of the dam is Wilbur Dam Rd, and there is parking nearby.

joec
10-21-2014, 17:52
I finally found a good map. It looks like I can drop a car at 321 AT crossing, go onto toward Hampton and take a right on Siam Road and follow that until it connects with Wilbur Dam Road and follow that to the trailhead.

redseal
10-22-2014, 18:03
Wilbur Dam Rd is the correct place. We actually left our vehicle there recently. There are parking spots for about 3 - 5 cars.