PDA

View Full Version : ellicott rock wilderness?

TNhiker
10-20-2014, 17:41
howdy...

has anyone done any backpacking in the ellicott rock wilderness?

looking to pick a few brains and gather some info........

thanks...

Dogwood
10-20-2014, 19:50
Just the part along the Chattooga River mainly near/on the Foothills Tr and nearby area.

Finding Ellicott Rock in the river was a challenge. It's marked faintly on the rock though. Even though I later found out it's not surveyed exactly correct to coinside with the three states, GA, SC, and NC, at the time when I stood on the rock I thought it historically and geographically nostalgic - standing in three states in the middle of a river at once.

Dogwood
10-20-2014, 19:51
Where you live there are Ellicott Rock Wilderness maps that are fairly well done from a hiker's pt of view - trails, boundaries, connections, etc.

NC Hiker/Angler
10-20-2014, 20:40
I've not backpacked the area but I've spent a lot of time hiking the area and fishing the Chatooga River which runs through it. Very pretty area. The trail network is not extensive if you were looking for a long trip but the Foothills Trail is nearby offering the potential for more extended hikes.

Happy to to try to answer more specific questions.

TNhiker
10-20-2014, 21:16
Dang......probably knew I shoulda just asked you straight up dogwood...

btw---looked for that big south fork but couldn't find it right off......I know I have it somewhere just haven't looked in right box yet.....

basically for this wilderness---I'm looking to hear how easy/hard the trails are to find and follow...

and to hear if there are any good camping spots..

im looking to maybe make a loop of the river trail, fork mountain and east fork....

really haven't heard much about this area so looking for any info...

i have heard it is tough find the rock...

apparently there's two that are marked in that area....

bwb49
10-20-2014, 21:26
A couple of good resources for the area are: Hiking Trails of the Southern Nantahala Wilderness, Ellicott Rock Wilderness and Chatttooga National Wild And Scenic River by Tim Homan and the US Forest Service map Chattooga National Wild and Scenic River.​ I have had these a long time and don't remember exactly where I got them, but REI or any outfitter that carries maps and books might have them.

TNhiker
10-20-2014, 21:53
Yeah....I have the book and have the national geographic map but I wanted to hear first hand current accounts.....

The Solemates
10-21-2014, 09:53
Dang......probably knew I shoulda just asked you straight up dogwood...

btw---looked for that big south fork but couldn't find it right off......I know I have it somewhere just haven't looked in right box yet.....

basically for this wilderness---I'm looking to hear how easy/hard the trails are to find and follow...

and to hear if there are any good camping spots..

im looking to maybe make a loop of the river trail, fork mountain and east fork....

really haven't heard much about this area so looking for any info...

i have heard it is tough find the rock...

apparently there's two that are marked in that area....

this is an awesome area, the trails are easy to follow, and camping spots abound. ellicott rock is a little difficult to find but prepped with maps you should be able to pinpoint it. dont expect to walk right up to it first try though. and dont expect to be wowed into it being a huge landmark :)

this was literally my backyard growing up so I've spent many the nights in the beloved chattooga area wandering around.

have fun!

NC Hiker/Angler
10-21-2014, 10:18
The Solemates sums it up perfectly. For high-level information about the trails in the area (there are tons of them) check out http://sctrails.net/Trails/ALLTRAILS/Hiking/Upcountry/UPCOUNTRY.html. I think the southern boundary of Ellicot Rock Wilderness is near the intersection of the East Fork and Chattooga River trails. However the section of the Chattooga River trail below the wilderness (extending for over 10 miles to Route 28) is incredibly beautiful. This section is more crowded especially around Burrells Ford road which is a primary access point.

Dogwood
10-21-2014, 12:57
Good loop Kevin. I've never done this loop as one entire hike but have hiked all the legs of the loop - the Foothills Tr., Fork Mt, and Chattooga River Trails(the loop actually involves a bit of the Bad Creek Trail which seems to simply change names to the Chattooga River Tr). Leave a car at Burrells CG. Lots of very nice campsites along the Chattoga River. The Foothills Trail Guidebook has all these trails described and documented in it and on the FHT Map for an on the ground topographical looksie. I bought my FHT Guidebook and Map at the Greenville SC REI where they normally also stock Bartram Trail and Ellicot Rock Wilderness materials(maps). For the FHT leg you'll go by the Walhalla Fish Hatchery which might be worth the short road walk to check out. You might have to look around a bit to find the Fork Mt TH at the Sloan Bridge Picnic area. There are a couple of impromptu out of sight possible stealth campsites at Sloan Bridge. I don't recall any No Camping signs there but you should double check that. Here the loop is described well.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1148992 (http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1148992)

If considering hikes in the area you might also consider Ceasar's Head and Jones Gap SP's as well as Bridge Mt Area which have lots of near/on water and ridge hiking opps. Waterfalls abound in the area.

Dogwood
10-21-2014, 12:59
http://www.secretfalls.com/hiking/fork-mountain-trail

Sorry, that's Mountain Bridge Wildereness Area.

TNhiker
10-21-2014, 16:04
much thanks for all the info.....

was exactly what i was looking for....

probably head down there in a few weekends..

this weekend is dedicated to my last allman brothers concerts in NYC.........