PDA

View Full Version : Input Wanted

reh1966
10-18-2005, 20:01
I am trying to consider all options. All of my hikes on the AT have been carrying tents but the majority of the time I have stayed in a shelter. Not being completely sure of what I want I have reviewed many posts concerning tarps, bivys and tents. I can tell you that I don't like mice and am not crazy about other critters trying to spend the night with me. I understand that staying in a shelter exposes me to everything that a tarp would. I am planning on trying a tarp but would like some more input. If I go with a tarp what size do you recommend and what would you do to protect (if you can really call it that) yourself from the critters. I am considering some netting but am wondering if that would just be a waste of time , effort, money and space. Thanks.

reh1966

SGT Rock
10-18-2005, 20:15
Well the topic is wide open. You could go with a light tent which will weigh about 3 pounds. Or you could go with a tarp-tent and do it for 1.5-2 pounds. Or you could go with a hammock and have about a 2 pound shelter. Or you could go with a tarp and get used to the possibility of critters.

What do you want to spend and how much weight are you willing to carry?

reh1966
10-18-2005, 20:35
Trying to be frugal (cheap) and weight conscious I am leaning toward the tarp. To help eliminate some of the critter concern I am considering some netting like used for pup tents in the military. This would keep bugs and other less determined critters away. I did look at the hammocks but with the cold weather concern I don't know that I would be happy going that route. Thanks again for the help.

reh1966

fiddlehead
10-18-2005, 20:51
check out the Integral Designs "Sil Shelter" It has the weight of a tarp (13 oz), is aprox 9' long so you can fit your gear inside too, uses a stick (not supplied, can use a hiking stick or just find one each time you want to camp), Battens down fairly tight to the ground if you want to be snug, or has the flexibility to leave airflow/space between it and the ground. You can add about 8" of "no-seeum" netting like my friend did to around the bottom edge and a bigger piece on the back if you are afraid of critters. It is what i use and have always stayed dry in it. You can set it up many different ways like a tarp but is really bombproof if you batten it down everywhere. (I use a piece of Tyvek as the ground sheet inside, cut plenty big (aprox 4'X8'). When expecting rain, i batten it down and crawl in thru one side. Good luck with a tough decision.

Whistler
10-18-2005, 22:54
An 8x10 silnylon tarp will be your best balance of weight and cheap. Campmor/ Equinox has an 8x10 siltarp they sell for about $70, so it's a good starter model.

As far as critters go, I've never had large critters come visit me under a tarp. Experience will help you manage those fears. Small ones like mosquitoes, yes. Several companies make bugnets in the 3-8oz range that will work well under a tarp. The ones I can think of are Equinox, Dancing Light Gear, Oware, Adventure 16, Integral Designs, and GoLite. Some of those are full bug protection including groundsheets; some are just drapes for over the torso. Depending on the bug shelter you choose, an 8x10 siltarp + bugnet combo will run you between 15-30oz and total about $90 to maybe $150 or so.
-Mark