PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Knob

TurboPants
10-21-2014, 11:21
I am going to do an overnight with a few friends up Mt Rogers and back. I wouldn't expect any SoBo thrus in this area this late in the year so I'm ASSUMING there is ample space for 3 people?? So I have a couple questions for those who have been to Thomas Knob shelter:

1) If space is limited are there any flat areas near the shelter for a tent? The pictures I've seen look VERY rocky
2) My friends are princess campers, so are there any privys in the area?
3) The elevation is around 5000'; any advice on climate in early November would be appreciated.
4) Is it worth the trek up to Mt Rogers?
5) Are fires permitted at the shelter?

I've tried searching but what I found were old threads. Hopefully someone can give me a better idea what to expect at this shelter. This is my 1st overnighter on the AT, kinda exciting!

mankind117
10-21-2014, 11:30
To answer your questions:
1. There are many flat areas nearby, within 1/2 a mile as you head north on the AT campsites abound.
2. There is a pit toilet at the shleter
3. I was there in early October and it was cold, expect it to be considerably colder up there than down at lower elevations and plan on it being windy.
4. There is no view from the top of mount rogers, it is a nice spruce forest on top. Views abound on the AT near the shelter.
5. I believe so but bear in mind that since this is a very popular camping spot it will probably be picked over for firewood.

Lone Wolf
10-21-2014, 11:33
go past the shelter NOBO for great camping. no fires at the shelter plus it's nasty too

Slo-go'en
10-21-2014, 11:51
Thomas Knob shelter is specified to hold 16 people and is two stories. Keep in mind this is a popular weekend area, so if the weather is good there maybe a lot of others about. If the weather is bad, not so much. It will likely be chilly up there, but how chilly will depend on which way the wind is blowing. Try to get a local forecast shortly before the trip to give you an idea.

I don't remember if there is a fire ring or not. If there is, it is a bit removed from the shelter area. With all the wild ponies wandering around there, I'd be a little leery of tenting in the area.

July
10-21-2014, 11:57
With all the wild ponies wandering around there, I'd be a little leery of tenting in the area.

Why? Ponies are in no way a threat to camping.

TNhiker
10-21-2014, 11:58
I was in the general area back at the first weekend of this month (I didn't go out to Thomas knob though)...

like someone mentioned, it's a popular area in general----I must have seen 75 or so people backpacking and many more on day hikes up there...

and be prepared for all weather---it snowed one night and I had frost covering tent in morning....

illabelle
10-21-2014, 12:21
I was in the general area back at the first weekend of this month (I didn't go out to Thomas knob though)...

like someone mentioned, it's a popular area in general----I must have seen 75 or so people backpacking and many more on day hikes up there...

and be prepared for all weather---it snowed one night and I had frost covering tent in morning....

Wow, snow already? I bet that was pretty!
As mentioned, there is a lot of wind at Thomas Knob. A little further north you can find sheltered camping spots among the trees below the crest of the hill. And the ponies are cool! Be sure you allow time to wander around till you find some. You can usually find them near Wilburn Ridge or the Rhododendron Trail.

Slo-go'en
10-21-2014, 12:25

Apparently they like to eat pack straps, t-shirts and boots for the salt. Putting those inside your tent may or may not discourage them from trying to get to them.

July
10-21-2014, 12:31
Apparently they like to eat pack straps, t-shirts and boots for the salt. Putting those inside your tent may or may not discourage them from trying to get to them.

I have woke in the morning a few times with several laying all around me, but never caught them gnawing on anything. I can see your point though :)

TurboPants
10-21-2014, 12:44
I appreciate all the quick replies. Now I have SOME idea of what to expect. According to the oh-so-reliable weather.com, it will be 55-60 in the day and around 40 at night on Mt Rogers. And if the weather channel says it, you can take that to the bank!! lol

My buddies don't have tents or any trekking gear yet, they're pretty green when it comes to hiking so they're in store for whatever the shelter offers. If the shelter gets full I'll have my copper spur UL1 for backup. I've warned them about the temps so they have decent down bags now but that's about it.

If the weather is a total wash out I don't think they'll have the clothing for rain/snow hiking so we may just dayhike and bail to the state park to camp at lower elevation. I don't want to turn them off to hiking on their first trip, so I'll try to be flexible with them.

The Cleaner
10-21-2014, 13:30
At this time of the year and at that elevation, I would expect daytime temps only in the low 50s and very windy. Unless it's cloudy the night time temps could dip into the low 30s with wind which will make it seem much colder.

TNhiker
10-21-2014, 16:02
Wow, snow already? I bet that was pretty!

it was just a little flurries........no accumulation...........just flurries..

but, regardless---it was snow............

kinda threw me off.....

TurboPants
10-21-2014, 16:22
Brrrr it's too cold too early this year. Up here in Ohio we've been 10-15 degrees below average the last 2-3 weeks and actually saw sleet the other morning. Hope that trend breaks. It's supposed to be an El Nino year but clearly the Sun forgot.

Hey folks, for this particular trail that goes up to the shelter... obviously its just dense forest towards the peak of Rogers, but if we decide to just do a dayhike loop instead are there any little hot spots that we MUST do? The plan is park at Massie Gap and go up to the shelter then just go back down the next day.

TNhiker
10-21-2014, 16:29
i think you'll be overwhelmed by the views and the rock formations, is you do a dayhike from massie gap out to rhododeron gap......

and along the way, you'll more than likely see ponies......

but, for that stretch i just mentioned---except for a small portion, you'll be hiking on a the bald.......or a bald area...

sweeping views and all that...

the AT goes up to some rock formations that will be prime to climb up and see the views........(at least it did it for me)........

TurboPants
10-21-2014, 16:32
I've read story after story about the grayson highlands on here so I'm sure it won't disappoint.

canoe
10-21-2014, 17:24
Its a great place to hike. Beware of the ponies. They are not aggressive but they will eat what they can. We were there this summer. Saw a small group of about 10. We were eating breakfast. Then they saw us. Then they came into camp. Then they started trying to eat our clothes and boots and packs. oh and our breakfast. I was afraid they were going to bust our tent.

JumpMaster Blaster
10-23-2014, 00:09

We had a small herd come up to our campsites just north of Thomas Knob around 9 pm. You could hear them ripping up the grass and chewing, the closest was 3 feet away from my tent. The next morning they were still in the AO, hanging out on the ridge. Hands down the best camping experience. They were not nusiances at all. I love them.

JumpMaster Blaster
10-23-2014, 00:11
Its a great place to hike. Beware of the ponies. They are not aggressive but they will eat what they can. We were there this summer. Saw a small group of about 10. We were eating breakfast. Then they saw us. Then they came into camp. Then they started trying to eat our clothes and boots and packs. oh and our breakfast. I was afraid they were going to bust our tent.

One little fella last month tried chewing on my hiking pole. He was still young so I'm sure he hadn't learned yet. I just let him figure out on his own that aluminum doesn't taste good. Then he started trying to nibble on my gaiters. Poor silly pony.

JumpMaster Blaster
10-23-2014, 00:21
I appreciate all the quick replies. Now I have SOME idea of what to expect. According to the oh-so-reliable weather.com, it will be 55-60 in the day and around 40 at night on Mt Rogers. And if the weather channel says it, you can take that to the bank!! lol

My buddies don't have tents or any trekking gear yet, they're pretty green when it comes to hiking so they're in store for whatever the shelter offers. If the shelter gets full I'll have my copper spur UL1 for backup. I've warned them about the temps so they have decent down bags now but that's about it.

If the weather is a total wash out I don't think they'll have the clothing for rain/snow hiking so we may just dayhike and bail to the state park to camp at lower elevation. I don't want to turn them off to hiking on their first trip, so I'll try to be flexible with them.

One thing- whatever the Weather channel tells you is probably NOT being reported from the same elevation as Thomas Knob/Mt Rogers. When you check the weather, say for Mouth of Wilson or Damascus or Troutdale, note the reporting station's elevation. Thomas Knob is 5400 feet. For every 1000 feet of elevation difference, its wise to subtract 5 degrees from the temp. Err on the cold side, and pay attention to winds. Some of the better campsites up there are exposed, although there are several tucked in the woodline.

bigcranky
10-23-2014, 10:23
A decent point-source weather forecast for the High Country (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.65919310676313&lon=-81.54550552368164&site=rnk&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en). This is the NOAA site that I use for planning hikes in this area.

If you hike up the AT from Grayson Highlands SP backpacker parking lot, you'll climb Wilburn Ridge to Rhododendron Gap. The AT hangs a left here to continue to Thomas Knob Shelter and the summit side trail. There are many obvious campsites in the stretch between Rhodo Gap and the shelter. Please don't tent inside the fence line right at the shelter.

There is a decent privy at the shelter, and a spring in a corral behind the shelter. NO FIRES at the shelter. Using firewood destroys habitat for an endangered salamander. The large signs don't prevent ignorant people from building fires anyway, of course, but don't be one of those people.

The trek to the summit is worthwhile. It's very peaceful at the top, though of course there aren't any views.

tiptoe
10-23-2014, 12:42
Ponies? When I hammocked near Thomas Knob last May, I was awakened around 1 a.m. by a woman yelling for help. I knew there were medically trained people in the shelter (an army medic and an MD), and I heard people getting up, so I didn't go myself. What had happened? A herd of ponies had surrounded a tent and were bumping into it, and the hikers apparently panicked.

As others have said, the ponies are beautiful, very used to people, and not exactly aggressive but very insistent. At one point, with a pony nearby, I stupidly sat down to eat a granola bar, and the pony practically ended up sitting in my lap begging for a bite. I just rubbed his nose and told him I needed it more than he did, and after the last bite, he wandered off.

tagg
10-23-2014, 16:59
If y'all decide to overnight it and your buddies are set on staying in the shelter, I'd definitely take my tent if I were you. These were taken from my campsite just a stone's throw north of the shelter...

Lone Wolf
10-23-2014, 17:27
the shelter is ugly, the campsites are beautiful

dale1627
10-23-2014, 21:36
I stayed at the shelter this past summer during a very windy and rainy night. It was the one and only time that I've slept in a shelter. It will definitely be the last time....

Planner01
10-22-2015, 12:44
I use this weather station (seams accurate to me):

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Rogers/forecasts/1746 (http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Rogers/forecasts/1746):

carouselambra
10-22-2015, 13:20
I have been in that area many times in many parts of the year. Usually stay at the campsites north of the shelter. About ten years ago I got snowed on pretty hard with temps in the 20s on the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. Be prepared.

Kolo
10-22-2015, 19:17
Has anyone taken the forest road up to the Scales? I'm curious what kind of shape it's in. Good shape, bad, don't try it without a 4X$, bring a winch 'cause you might need it, etc.

Kolo
10-22-2015, 19:18
Has anyone taken the forest road up to the Scales? I'm curious what kind of shape it's in. Good shape, bad, don't try it without a 4X$, bring a winch 'cause you might need it, etc.

oops, without a 4X4....

Lone Wolf
10-22-2015, 19:34

took it 2 months ago. i go up there 2-3 times a year. it's the same as always. ya need a high clearance vehicle. but i've seen small cars up there. no 4WD needed

Kolo
10-22-2015, 19:52
took it 2 months ago. i go up there 2-3 times a year. it's the same as always. ya need a high clearance vehicle. but i've seen small cars up there. no 4WD needed

Thanks for the info Lone Wolf.

Shooting Star
10-22-2015, 23:26

We camped in the open field north of the shelter once. Overnight, a dozen horses
moved in and milled about the tent. Several tried licking condensation off
the tent but we're not a bother. It was a treat to camp with them.

SS

Kaptainkriz
10-23-2015, 18:51
Had a great time staying at Thomas Knob. Shelter was quite nice. :)
Pesky Ponies...be sure to treat your water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bepJCKEaUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gosN5k00jqQ