PDA

View Full Version : Roasted Red Peppers

Ramble~On
10-18-2005, 22:19
Getting ready for a recent trip I was digging around in my kitchen and came across a couple red peppers. I took them along and decided to try roasting them with my stove. If you've ever tried roasted red peppers you know whether you like them or not.....I am one of those who do. If you are one of those that do not...READ NO FURTHER.

Anyway...where was I...oh yeah, roasted red peppers.
I roasted them over my stove and put them into a ziplock to steam...
Peeled them, seeded them and cut them up...and yeah, I ate some too...pretty good:sun .

I added them into that nights dinner which was tortellini with ****ake mushrooms and stewed tomatoes.....what's that guy on tv say ? "BAM"

I am going to try roasting some at home and dehydrate them to see how they
rehydrate and if they retain their fire cooked flavor.

Fresh roasted red peppers on the trail...no doubt a welcome addition to your Lipton.

Ramble~On
10-18-2005, 22:22
Well how about that ! If you don't spell Shiitake Mushroom with the second "i"
it gets censored. Aren't most mushrooms grown in **** ?:confused:

Ramble~On
10-18-2005, 22:23
:-? Looks like I forgot the second "i" again

CynJ
10-18-2005, 22:31
those peppers sound good! did you use sweet or hot peppers?

saimyoji
10-18-2005, 22:41
Soak them in vinegar (diluted) before you dehydrate them. Then, when you rehydrate, add garlic, olive oil, lots of spices and stuff. Very yummy.

Ramble~On
10-18-2005, 23:30
Regular Bell peppers

Ramble~On
10-18-2005, 23:36
:-? So now I ponder couscous with feta cheese and other add ins stuffed inside whole roasted peppers.

Whistler
10-18-2005, 23:37
I'd say toss some hummus in the foodbag as well. Take your peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, maybe add some sprouts or cheese or meat of choice. Spread the hummus. Insert bagel. You can warm the bread on your pot. Nice hot sandwich for dinner or breakfast.
-Mark

Doctari
10-19-2005, 01:34
That sounds good. I would like to try it with a few Chilis, or jalapinos. AAARRRG, my mouth is watering, and I'm not even hungry.
Usually, peppers are light weight, taste great, and go with almost anything.
This is one of those ideas that I already knew about, but didn't think of, at least for on the trail use. Sigh!

Thanks for the post. Now I need to experiment.

Doctari.

Mags
10-19-2005, 14:00
Funny how food brings back great memories...

We had these almost every Sunday at our Grandmother's house growing up. They were marinted with oil and garlic. Throw them on some crusty bread, add some hot capicola and provolone. Ahhhhhh....

In RI, they were so easy and cheap to get. In Colorado, only in small speciality markerts or the "gourmet" section of the grocery store.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane (stomach?)

CynJ
10-19-2005, 17:12
I love to take some sweet red peppers - roast them up. Then take some fresh plum tomatos and slice them and sear them really quick in a little olive olive. Slice some fresh mozzarella cheese - plate them all together and drizzle more olive oil and a little fresh ground black pepper....YUM

:-? Sounds like supper tonight! lol....