PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry Patch Hostel - Closed for 2015

Koozy
10-22-2014, 14:52
I have been in contact with Gary Poteat of the Blueberry Patch in the last few days and he has informed me that next year (2015) he will not be operating the Blueberry Patch Hostel. I believe they are only taking a year or so off in order to rest and take it easy. Gary said that this year (2014) even with the new hostel (Top of Georgia), that he has a record number of hikers stay at his hostel. If you have ever had the pleasure of meeting Gary then you know he is a genuinely nice man, but I believe at his age he and his wife could use a break from the chaotic hiker season. He told me that I am the first to know (he has yet to inform AWOL), so please don't inundate him with requests to stay open.

I met Gary and his son Shane in 1991 as they completed their northbound thru hikes, and we have maintained close contact throughout my thru hike this year. IF he does decide to reopen in the future, I HIGHLY suggest you stay...best breakfast on the trail.

Sly
10-22-2014, 18:23
I met Gary and his son Shane in 1991 as they completed their northbound thru hikes, and we have maintained close contact throughout my thru hike this year. IF he does decide to reopen in the future, I HIGHLY suggest you stay...best breakfast on the trail.

You met them when you were 6!?

Thanks for the info...

Lone Wolf
10-22-2014, 18:26
i met them in 91 also at Elmer's in Hot Springs. been to the Patch a bunch of times. good folks

dangerdave
10-22-2014, 20:08
I was so looking forward to staying with them. Dang 2014ers had to have good weather and overwhelm the old folks with there numbers! Way to go, guys!

I'm very disappointed...

lonehiker
10-22-2014, 20:36
I regret not staying there in 08. A few people told me about their experience there. I stayed at Cloud 9(?) instead. It was a dump.

swamp dawg
10-22-2014, 21:02
Blueberry Patch was one of favorite and unique stops on my many AT adventures. The Poteats have served the trail community as part their special ministry. I hope once again, I can sit at the table with fellow hikers waiting for mounds of pancakes with fresh blueberry syrup. Folks like the Poteats, make life good on the trail. God speed folks, swamp dawg

Teacher & Snacktime
10-22-2014, 22:53
Snacktime and I stayed with Gary and Lennie last spring on our school trip. They are wonderful people, and we left feeling like we'd truly made some friends there.

hikeandbike5
10-22-2014, 23:52
You met them when you were 6!?

Thanks for the info...
yeah..some strange maths going on in here.

Koozy
10-23-2014, 08:29
yeah..some strange maths going on in here.

Yes, I met them when I was 6. My grandparents were trail angels in CT and their family friend (Lightning Rod) was thru hiking in 1991. They did trail magic for Lightning Rod somewhere in CT and Gary and Shane Poteat just happened to be hiking with Lightning Rod at the time. I have a photo of Gary taking a picture of me (when I was 6) during the trail magic on the first entry of my trailjournal (see link in signature block below). And when I stopped in at the Blueberry Patch, Gary and Shane brought their photo albums from their thru hike to share with me. He said it was the first time that he ever shared his thru hike photos with hikers, and there were photos of me, my sister and my mother in his thru hike album. I also took photos of those pics, and they are on my trailjournal as well. It's a small world, and it definitely came full circle with me and the Poteats. I plan on visiting them within the next few years, not as a hiker, but as a friend. Read the first entry of my trail journal and you'll get the full story of how I met the Poteats.

atmilkman
10-23-2014, 09:28
Yes, I met them when I was 6. My grandparents were trail angels in CT and their family friend (Lightning Rod) was thru hiking in 1991. They did trail magic for Lightning Rod somewhere in CT and Gary and Shane Poteat just happened to be hiking with Lightning Rod at the time. I have a photo of Gary taking a picture of me (when I was 6) during the trail magic on the first entry of my trailjournal (see link in signature block below). And when I stopped in at the Blueberry Patch, Gary and Shane brought their photo albums from their thru hike to share with me. He said it was the first time that he ever shared his thru hike photos with hikers, and there were photos of me, my sister and my mother in his thru hike album. I also took photos of those pics, and they are on my trailjournal as well. It's a small world, and it definitely came full circle with me and the Poteats. I plan on visiting them within the next few years, not as a hiker, but as a friend. Read the first entry of my trail journal and you'll get the full story of how I met the Poteats.
Great story. Very cool.

Grampie
10-23-2014, 09:45
The closing of the Blueberry Patch Hostal will be a great loss for the AT community. Happy trails to Gary Poteat and his family. I'll always remember my great stop there in 2000.

Speakeasy TN
10-26-2014, 17:48
Sorry to hear this. I missed a chance to stay there in '11 but got to visit as I picked up a mail drop. I had looked forward to fixing that this Spring! Bad for me but good for Gary! Happy Trails.............

Sir-Packs-Alot
10-28-2014, 19:19
I'm the proprietor of the new "Top of Georgia Hostel & Hiking Center" just up the road from Gary and the Blueberry Patch (we are 1/2 mile west off the trail in Gary's direction towards Hiawassee). Even though we were the competition to each other this past Spring - Gary is a class act - and we worked well together - sending hikers to each other and trying our best to make it all about the hikers. Enjoy your break Gary - I look forward to seeing you when you return :) All the best: Bob "Sir-Packs-Alot" Gabrielsen

Lone Wolf
10-28-2014, 19:33
I'm the proprietor of the new "Top of Georgia Hostel & Hiking Center" just up the road from Gary and the Blueberry Patch (we are 1/2 mile west off the trail in Gary's direction towards Hiawassee). Even though we were the competition to each other this past Spring - Gary is a class act - and we worked well together - sending hikers to each other and trying our best to make it all about the hikers. Enjoy your break Gary - I look forward to seeing you when you return :) All the best: Bob "Sir-Packs-Alot" Gabrielsen

gary and lenni don't "compete" with anyone. the BP is a ministry. not for profit. you are a business, for profit

dangerdave
10-28-2014, 19:33
Prepare to be overrun in 2015, Bob. You are on my list!

Sir-Packs-Alot
10-28-2014, 22:00
Sorry Lone Wolf - my misspeak - the point was to say how much I like Gary and wish him well ...

lonehiker
10-29-2014, 21:52
Sorry Lone Wolf - my misspeak - the point was to say how much I like Gary and wish him well ...

There was nothing in your earlier post that requires an apology.