PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather sleeping bags

JumpMaster Blaster
10-23-2014, 00:31
Looking at dropping a few dollars on another bag. What I'm looking for: a "true" 10 degree or lower bag; under 3 1/2 pounds, and down. Dont need synthetic as I have synthetic heavy-duty military issue gear. Not looking to spend $500 but also dont want a $180 "value" bag.

I've already seen some bags (Western Mountaineering, etc) but I'd like to hear from anyone who has a bag in this category, i.e. did it pick up moisture, did the down compress and clump, would you buy it again...thanks!

Feral Bill
10-23-2014, 01:21
In that price. weight, and warmth point there are many choices. Look for generous fill with good down and for fit. Too narrow-> cramped and compressed down. Too wide-> too much air movement.

Starchild
10-23-2014, 01:52
In that price. weight, and warmth point there are many choices. Look for generous fill with good down and for fit. Too narrow-> cramped and compressed down. Too wide-> too much air movement.

Bold mine

It depends on how the bag was made if 'too narrow actually equals compressed down' & loss if insulation. On some mummy bags I have had it is cramped but that is only the inner 'bag' that is restricting me, the outer bag, and the down, fully lofts.

saltysack
10-23-2014, 07:23
It's a 15 deg but my marmot helium just over 2lbs has been a great bag for $300 on sale...had it down to around 10 deg wasn't warm but survived

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattjv89
10-23-2014, 17:26
Very happy with my Marmot Lithium 0*, 850 fill and about 2 and 3/4 pounds for regular 3 for long. It would normally be a $500 bag but backcountry.com happens to have it on sale for $391 right now. Buying this bag was when I learned to always try discount codes even if they're supposed to exclude the brand, got this for 20% last winter with a code that allegedly wasn't valid on Marmot.

I've pushed it to about -15 using a liner and heavy sleeping clothes, as it so happened the weekend i got the bag and just HAD to try it out last year was about the coldest of the whole winter. It's a stretch to say I was toasty warm but I wasn't cold either. In slightly higher temps it is oh so warm and cozy, anything above about 30* is too warm to have the bag fully closed. Regarding your question about moisture I've had no issues, it is hydrophobic down but I also usually use this bag in a temp range where everything is frozen anyway.

HooKooDooKu
10-23-2014, 19:32
I know you specified you didn't want synthetic, but I would suggest that you at least look at the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 0 degree bag.

The reason I suggest this bag is because it meets your specs in weight and cost, and compresses down as small as some of the down bags suggested above.

Example:
Marmot Lithium 0: 2lbs12oz, 7.5x16" (700cuin), $500.
MH Ultralamina 0: 3lbs4oz, 8"x14" (700cuin), $250

bmanice
10-29-2014, 18:56
Marmot Lithium would work pretty well.