PDA

View Full Version : Books about flora along trail

CynJ
10-19-2005, 00:45
Anyone got a good book recommendation about plants/trees/fungi common to the trail?

Newb
10-19-2005, 09:33
Your best bet is Edible plants of north America. Also, pick up a copy of Wildman Steve Brill's book.

Finally, go retro and get (sp?) Ewell Gibbons's "Stalking the Wild Asparagus".

You'll find on the trail that not all of those plants are available. I've spent the last year stalking edible plants on the trail and I've found that the way to learn them is to select ONE at a time and go out and find it, become very familiar with it. The first thing to learn is plants you can make Teas from, then move on to greens. Greens are fun and really add to your hiking diet. Next, learn your roots and tubers like Burdock and Cattail and wild potato, etc.

It's a blast.

CynJ
10-19-2005, 09:42
Cool thanks! I hadn't even thought about the whole edible thing! lol.....I was just realizing how little I know about local flora (I was browsing the Wildlife photo gallery and was amazed at how folks can identify all these different plants etc)

Cheesewhiz
10-19-2005, 21:06
National Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers, Eastern Region.

cascader
10-19-2005, 21:54
Leonard Adkins' *Wildflowers of the AT*. A beautifully produced, informative book--won't give you every flower you might see, but covers a lot of them.

soulrebel
10-20-2005, 07:00
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-7281747-3283838

search pocket naturalist at amazon--search link might be broken

http://www.amazon.com/

waterford press

They weigh about .5oz each and have waterproof laminate. Fold out pamphlets

They have one called wildlife on the AT, edible/medicinal plants (good one), trees, birds, night sky etc...

Blue Jay
10-20-2005, 23:33
Leonard Adkins' *Wildflowers of the AT*. A beautifully produced, informative book--won't give you every flower you might see, but covers a lot of them.

If you are at all interested in flowers along the AT you have to see this book. The pictures by Joe and Monica Cook are stunning. The author used to live across the street from the Homeplace, next to the store. Since you're going to stop there anyway, look him up. This is my favorite AT book after Model T's book. It even tells you where on the trail you can find each plant.

burger
10-21-2005, 18:10
If you're interested in wildflowers and really want to know them, try Newcomb's Wildflower Guide. It's easy to use, the drawings are outstanding, and it covers just about every species in the northeast. I'm seriously considering taking a copy with me on my 1000-mile section hike next summer.

CynJ
10-21-2005, 19:14
my next Barnes and Noble trip is gonna be expensive :D