PDA

View Full Version : looking for a tent

garyp
10-24-2014, 00:36
hello, i am looking for a tent. it will be used in the high sierra's.

it needs to meet the following functions. room for a min of two comfortably, and it can be used solo as well.

my price range is $120-230.00

any suguestions ?

Gambit McCrae
10-24-2014, 08:17
A tarptent by henryshires I have always been satisfied with his stuff and he has lots of options

http://www.tarptent.com/allproducts.html

The Cleaner
10-24-2014, 08:34
+1 for TarpTents. They have several 2 person tents but are a little above your price range. Spend a little extra, you won't be disappointed.....

garyp
10-24-2014, 10:58
I am not familiar with the tarpent. what do you use as a floor and how do you keep it from not getting wet in a rain?

bigcranky
10-24-2014, 13:05
Tarptent is a brand. Their shelters have floors and the canopy keeps you from getting wet in the rain, like any other tent. Their main appeal is light weight.

There are so many tents that meet your basic criteria. If you can go to a hiking outfitter, I am sure you'll find one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
10-24-2014, 20:43
My idea of "two comfortably" and "can be used solo" don't go together very well... (unless you want a very over-weight solo tent).

Looking at typical 2 man tents around the $200 price range, you'll find tents like:
Mountain Hardware Drifter 2
Marmot Limelight 2P
Both have only 32sqft of floor space.

But for the same ball-park price and for only a relatively small weight penalty, you can get the Kelty Gunnisson 2.2. It boasts 37sqft of floor space, providing plenty of room two large adults.

But at the same time, a 37sqft tent is going to be over the top for solo use.

My idea of good solo use are tents like Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 and the Kelty Salida 2. Both have 29sqft of space. You can squeeze 2 people inside these tents if both use tapered 20" wide sleeping pads. But there won't be any room for gear.

With two sons that might join me on hiking trips, I currently have 3 tents: solo, 2P, and 3P.

For solo use, I carry the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. The UL1 is only a little bit lighter, but there isn't any room for gear, just you. Of course the price of the Copper Spur is way out of the price range you're looking for. A good alternative is the Kelty Salida. Similar foot print, lots of room for 1 person, and can be had for well under $150 when on sale.

For two person use, I carry the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2. I only have it because I got it on clearance. It has similar floor dimensions as the Kelty Gunnisson 2.2. Because I seem to always have condensation issues with Big Agnes tents, if I had to do it all over, I'd get the Gunnisson.

For three person use, I carry the Kelty Gunnisson 3.1. I got it at a clearance price when they were switching over to the 3.2.

As a simple comparison, when I was looking at 3 person tents, I looked into the Mountain Hardware Drifter 3. My boys carry tapered 20" pads and I have a tapered 25" pad. The three pads by themselves could not fit into this 'typical' 3 person tent. But once again, for the price range, the Kelty Gunnisson had lots of floor space with only a minor weight penalty.

My suggestion (if you want to only stick to 'typical' tents you'll find in the average gear store) is to look for the Kelty Salida 2. It's about a 4lb tent with tons of room for solo use. If you want tight quarters for occasional 2 people, two tapered 20" pads should fit. You should be able to find the Salida on sale for about $130.

rafe
10-25-2014, 07:57
Browse through the Campmor, REI and EMS websites for brands and prices. Cottage brands include Tarptent and Lightheart Gear among many others.

Most folks want maximum floor space, but don't be greedy. Out in the woods, level floor space may be hard to find.

Over the years I've had mostly good luck with Eureka tents. (They're inexpensive.) Two that were excellent and served me well for years. A third was purchased, tested overnight in the back yard and returned to the store.

Back in the day, the Sierra Designs "Clip Flashlight" was an extremely popular 2-person backpacking tent.

Old Hiker
10-25-2014, 09:35
Full disclosure: I have one - not affiliated with LHG.

Humidity level in the Sierras?

LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 is roomy, fits two (squeeze) and is light. LOTS of room for gear when solo with two doors and the awning.

http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents/product/view/7/7

Downside: $300. I get condensation here in FL and saltysack stated he got it when camping in a meadow up north. I just use a piece of camper towel.

Good luck.

garyp
10-25-2014, 21:00
I am not sure what I want.

I have been looking at these because I get discount pricing due to I am with the scouts.
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/tents/backpacking-tents/chaos for $127-$140

or
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/tents/backpacking-tents/aries for $133 - $150

However I want this for packing and they both come in at the 5 lbs range. I am not sure if that is a good tent or not. But if there is something better for me I am listening because I definitely am no expert by any means. However I have seen what others are using and wondering if the tarpent thing is a good idea or not. I don't know the pro's or con's to be able to make a well informed decision on them and why they are good.

Old Hiker
10-25-2014, 22:08
[QUOTE=garyp;1917844]I am not sure what I want.

I have been looking at these because I get discount pricing due to I am with the scouts.
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/tents/backpacking-tents/chaos for $127-$140

Edited: this on Steep and Cheap. LOTS of ALPS tents and gear on sale - I still like my Zephyr 1. One day or so left. $115.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/big-brand-camp-gear-on-sale/ALM0113-DARCLA

Franco
10-26-2014, 16:43
"However I have seen what others are using and wondering if the tarpent thing is a good idea or not'
As already mentioned there are tarp tents and there is the Tarptent brand.
Within the Tarptent brand we have several designs so they vary in size and weight but mostly are lighter and or larger than the mainstream offerings due to design and the materials we use.
Our 30D silnylon is generally stronger (and more expensive) but lighter than the typical nylon or polyester used for the mass produced tents.
BTW, we have been around since 1999 and still growing.
Take a look at the Double Rainbow (41 oz) and the Double Moment (52oz 2015, about $360) , however neither is in your price range but if you really want to go lighter and still have full protection maybe you will be tempted.
http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html
franco @ tarptent

Franco
10-26-2014, 19:11
BTW, I just realised that this is the WTB section, so SH you are not going to find the Double Moment but a DR or ,if you are reasonably good at pitching tents (that is how non freestanding tents should be pitched) the Squall would be lighter and occasionally they do come up for sale.

Franco
10-26-2014, 20:05
Oh dear , I was looking at two different forum threads in different forums...
ignore my last comment.

July
10-26-2014, 20:14
Close to your $ range and plenty of room,I've got a lotta good service from the Tarptent Rainshadow2.

garyp
10-27-2014, 00:23
@ Franco,

I like those. I am really debating on saving a few more dollars and going that route instead. The double rainbow looks cool as well. Do you have any retailers in Fresno California so I can go look at the tents? I tried looking for the double moment but couldn't find one. I did see the cloudburst 3 and that would be a nice tent, however I don't really know the size without seeing it. I liked the ease setup on the Rainshadow 2. It looks like you can set it up in the rain and not worry about the inside of the tent getting wet. I like that.

I like to live by the fishing gear code. I am too poor to buy cheap. I want to make one purchase not 3 or 4 cheap purchases and then I would be at the same boat I am in and would have spent that much money anyway.

Franco
10-27-2014, 02:00
Hi Garyp
Tarptent sells directly from Nevada City, so there are no retailers for our products.
That is how we can still have them made in the USA (Seattle)
The Double Moment is under Products, Whats New .
All of our shelters set up "dry inside" so fly first or fly and inner together for the double wall versions (like the Double Moment)
Each shelter has its on product page with a section called "specifications"
In there you will get the dimensions including a floor plan and a 3d video clip with a yellow mat or two or three to give you an idea of how they fit.
Those yellow mats are the std 20"x 72" type.

Siestita
10-27-2014, 03:27
When I got my Tarptent Rainbow (replacing a conventional double walled backpacking tent) my pack weight dropped three pounds, a major improvement. I opted for the one person version of the Rainbow. I did that because I usually travel alone. Also, here in forested parts of the Southeastern USA it's sometimes challenging to find wide spaces of clear, flat ground.

You are extremely fortunately to live in Fresno and thus have the Sierras close by. Before I had my Tarptent I did three and half weeks of wonderful late July/early August backpacking there. For me, the Sierras would be an exceptionally good area for using a Tarptent because:

1. Occasionally one needs bug protection there in the Sierras. Fully enclosed by nylon and mosquito netting, Tarptents provide that protection. At times and places without mosquitoes and other biting insects backpackers can get by comfortably by instead pitching simple tarps, the lightest and cheapest form of shelter.

2. The Sierras usually have low humidity. That means the ventilation provided by Tarptents, and other good single wall tents, should usually be be sufficient to prevent condensation from developing on the shelter's interior walls.

Staying dry in Tarptents can be a bit more challenging in places other than the Sierras. During exceptionally humid conditions in Kentucky or the southern Appalachians, for example in misty gorge bottoms or during all day rains, I've occasionally found it helpful to use a small piece of pack towel to remove small quantities of condensed water from my Tarptent. And, judging from post #8, Old Hiker has had similar experiences. My double walled backpacking tent handles condensation better, but for a substantial weight penalty. That extra weight is a disadvantage that I'm no longer willing to accept, even here in the East. For the Sierras, a Tarptent would, I think , be ideal.

3.In parts of the Sierras backpackers are now required (apparently with good reason) to store their food in bear canisters. Those bear cans add to one's load, making reduction of shelter weight and volume more important than would otherwise be the case.