PDA

View Full Version : Hiking seasom protection

squeezebox
10-24-2014, 12:36
Just had a strange idea about hiking season. I'm thinking of doing a head start. Starting at Harpers Ferry going north, then returning to Harpers Ferry and finishing south. That would put me in Southern Appalachian hunting season. Yes wear orange make noise etc.
Here's my crazy idea. A lot of cyclists are now using those blinky lights, they have about a 180* spread. So if I make a elastic headband, most of the lights have a belt clip attachment, buy 3, put the lights on the head band and I become a walking " I'm a human" beacon"
Pretty cheap to do.

Coffee
10-24-2014, 12:39
Other than risking a trail name of "blinky" this could work.

runt13
10-24-2014, 13:04
Lmfao

runt ''13''

swisscross
10-24-2014, 14:31
http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-SL-LD100-Compact-Safety-Light/dp/B000R5PJV8

I have two red and one white of these that I use on my messenger bag when I commute via bicycle.
Considered using while backpacking during hunting season also.

swisscross
10-24-2014, 14:41
Would me a decent tent light too.

Speakeasy TN
10-24-2014, 15:05
The Flasher would be a great trailname !?!? Lots of alone time!

FatMan
10-24-2014, 16:50
It's really not an issue. Wear some orange and that is enough.

bigcranky
10-24-2014, 16:53
Even with wearing orange, I don't like hiking early or late in the day during hunting season. The problem is, the days are short so that cuts a lot of good hiking time. Wearing blinkies seems like a pretty good solution.

Sarcasm the elf
10-24-2014, 16:59
This really sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I hiked Georgia last fall during deer season, had zero issues and saw nothing out there that was cause for concern.

Slo-go'en
10-24-2014, 17:40
Even with wearing orange, I don't like hiking early or late in the day during hunting season. The problem is, the days are short so that cuts a lot of good hiking time. Wearing blinkies seems like a pretty good solution.

I'm pretty sure their not suppose to hunt a until half hour after dawn or before dusk so that there is enough light to see what their shooting at. An orange hat and maybe a vest over the pack is all that's needed.

So far as I know, no hiker on the AT has ever been shot by a hunter. One reason is that for the most part, the AT is too high up on the ridge line to find any game. Another is hunters don't want to wander too far from their truck or need to be able to get to the kill by ATV. You think their going to drag a 400 pound buck very far through the woods? I don't think so. Finally, most hunters know better then to hunt along popular hiking trails.

Another Kevin
10-24-2014, 17:56
What the Elf said.

I was just out on trail earlier this week - and it's deer season up here. I ran into one hunter, we had a nice chat, and he hiked on. It was early in the morning, and I wasn't rolling yet. I was just making coffee when he happened on my campsite. I was a little surprised to meet him as far from the road as I did. I certainly wouldn't want to hump a deer that far. But some people use a rifle as an excuse to go play in the woods. I just play in the woods without an excuse.

I did have my orange vest, tuque, and pack cover when I was hiking. But no blinking light or any such.

saltysack
10-24-2014, 18:10
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/24/e8ff77b31ea7d54fb1d6c18d1c7727cb.jpg

Been using this on my dog during hikes for several years...solid or blinking...made by night Ize....we night hike often..just Monday started hiking at 7pm standing indian campground til 11 arrived @ siler bald..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-24-2014, 19:33
It is a great idea, I am a hunter and I wear the bike red blinky light so that other hunters do not shoot me! Plus do not wear anything white.

Tuckahoe
10-24-2014, 19:49
I'm pretty sure their not suppose to hunt a until half hour after dawn or before dusk so that there is enough light to see what their shooting at. An orange hat and maybe a vest over the pack is all that's needed.

So far as I know, no hiker on the AT has ever been shot by a hunter. One reason is that for the most part, the AT is too high up on the ridge line to find any game. Another is hunters don't want to wander too far from their truck or need to be able to get to the kill by ATV. You think their going to drag a 400 pound buck very far through the woods? I don't think so. Finally, most hunters know better then to hunt along popular hiking trails.

To help folks out these are Virginia's hours

Hunting Hours

One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset for nonmigratory birds and game animals except during spring gobbler season.

One-half hour before sunrise until 12 noon during spring gobbler season, except the last 12 days when the hunting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset.

One-half hour before sunrise to sunset for Youth/Apprentice Spring Turkey Hunting Day.
Hours for bear hound training season are from 4:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m daily, including Sundays.

Bobcat, foxes, raccoons, and opossums may be hunted by day or night during authorized seasons.

Raccoons may be hunted until 2 a.m. on Sundays. No other Sunday hunting of raccoons is permitted.

Nuisance species may be taken day or night.

Wise Old Owl
10-24-2014, 20:09
Lmfao Try not to wear brown ...

bigcranky
10-24-2014, 22:37
So far as I know, no hiker on the AT has ever been shot by a hunter.

Unfortunately not true. (http://www.georgiatrails.com/gt/AT_Hiker_Shot)

MuddyWaters
10-24-2014, 23:07
Protection in hunting season

rocketsocks
10-25-2014, 01:23
Protection in hunting season

I can honestly say I've never seen individually wrapped Watch Caps...and certainly not in orange. Talk about sticky out like a sore thumb.

Tuckahoe
10-25-2014, 08:00
Talk about sticky out like a sore thumb.

You're doing it wrong! :p

The Cleaner
10-25-2014, 08:18
Lmfao Try not to wear brown ...
Over the years other than news stories of hunters either being shot at or actually shot while taking a dump and using white toilet paper I've never heard or read of a hiker being shot in the TN/NC section. I'd say the ones with close calls when nature called were hunters and now you can find camo TP. Most hunting accidental shootings occur when hunters climb over a fence or obstacle without removing live ammo from their firearm chamber of engaging the safety lock. I've hiked most sections in this area during hunting season and never met a hunter who told me "I was about to shoot you":eek:. This does not include possible hunters that I did not see but they may have seen me. I never wear any orange but there is usually something on my pack which is an odd color. IMO this issue is just paranoia. Can anyone post a link to a story about an AT hiker being shot during hunting season? Also usually during hunting season there are fresh fallen leaves and a hiker hiking along makes much more noise than do most wildlife. I've only been on WB a few years but every fall many threads pop up about this issue. Some states require ALL persons in active hunting areas to display orange and in TN there are a few places where only hunters are allowed to be during active hunting seasons and none of these areas include the AT. I can see where persons who have not hiked here and are from states many miles from the AT may be a little apprehensive about hiking this area. Well I've had problems with bear hunting dogs, as others have posted here. One way to avoid dog problems is to have your dogs leashed and it is a state law in TN for all companion dogs to be on a leash in any wildlife management area. The reason for this is to prevent dogs from harassing wildlife and to protect your dogs from wildlife. Seems like some hikers would suggest wearing orange head to toe, while many just wear an orange hat, vest or pack cover. IMO most hunters using the AT for hunting know that hikers are around and some may avoid the AT for this reason. I worry more about encountering unleashed hiker's dogs and the growing amounts of trash, unwanted gear and clothes left behind at campsites and shelters on the AT. Chill out and hike on....

The Cleaner
10-25-2014, 08:32
FWIW I just read bigcranky's link and that was in 02'. None since? Seems like the odds are really low so just wear a little orange and it may make you feel better. I'd worry more about getting the Ebola virus or NORO than being shot while hiking. Some are just paranoid and like to share their fears. Same thing with Ebola, only a few cases here and lots of folks worried about it.:confused:

gpburdelljr
10-25-2014, 09:17

If you could find 400 pound deer on the AT, the hunters would outnumber the hikers 10 to 1.

Mags
10-25-2014, 12:48
W
I did have my orange vest, tuque, and pack cover when I was hiking. But no blinking light or any such.

Yep. That's all you need. A lot less $$$ than blinking lights, too. :)

I stumbled upon this item a couple of weeks back. If you don't want separate head gear, and you wear a wide brimmed hat as I do, this item fits over the hat and your standard beanie. I bought two for $10 with S&H. (otherwise it would have been ~$7 for one with S&H)

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Breaux-Mfg.-Blaze-Hat-Cover/productDetail/Mens-Blaze-Accessories/prod9999002598/cat114789

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2014, 14:38
October 26, 2011
Hunter Shoots Hiker, Mistakes Him For Bear
by Chad Love (http://www.fieldandstream.com/people/chad-love)

In light of yesterday's post about accidents involving guns (http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/2011/10/reminder-stay-vigilant-about-firearms-safety), here's another tragic example of why you should always, always positively identify what you're shooting at before you squeeze the trigger.
From this story in the Salem, Oregon Statesman-Journal: (http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20111026/NEWS/110260422/Hunter-s-fatal-shooting-hiker-occurred-private-property?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CNews%7Cs)

A 67-year-old Turner man who shot and killed a hiker Friday while hunting for bear was on family-owned property, Marion County Sheriff's Office officials said Tuesday. Gene Collier and his 12-year-old grandson were hunting in the 6300 block of Silver Ridge Road SE, a rural area about one mile west of Silver Falls State Park at about 6:30 p.m. Oct. 21.
"The property he was shooting on belongs to Gene and other family members," said sheriff's office spokes-man Don Thomson. Collier told detectives that he thought he saw a bear moving in the brush and fired one shot from his .270-caliber hunting rifle. The shot struck Christopher A. Ochoa, 20, of French Camp, Calif., who was hiking with a friend through the field on their way to Silver Falls State Park. Ochoa, an active Marine Corps reservist, died at the scene.

"Matter of time" until a hiker got shot

With the way hikers and hunters share the same backwoods and the same trails, it was only a matter of time before an accident like the one last weekend that killed 54-year-old Pamela Almli, mistaken for a bear by a 14-year-old boy, a Snohomish County sheriff's deputy said.
By Christine Clarridge (http://search.nwsource.com/search?sort=date&from=ST&byline=Christine%20Clarridge)
Seattle Times staff reporter

http://seattletimes.com/art/ui/navbrdr_lt.gifhttp://seattletimes.com/art/ui/previousarrowActive.gifPREV 1 of 2 NEXT http://seattletimes.com/art/ui/nextarrowActive.gifhttp://seattletimes.com/art/ui/navbrdr_rt.gif

http://seattletimes.com/ABPub/2008/08/12/2008094529.jpg

Hiker Pamela Almli was killed last weekend.

Staying safe
The Washington Trails Association offers these tips for staying safe while on hiking trails during hunting season:

Be seen: Make yourself visible. Choose colors that stand out, like bright blue or green; avoid blacks, browns, earth tones and animal-colored clothing.

Be heard: Whistle, sing or carry on a conversation as you walk to alert hunters of your presence.

Be informed: Know when hunting is allowed, and where. Grouse and bear-hunting season is typically September through December, sometimes earlier. Hunting is not allowed in national parks.

With the way hikers and hunters share the same backwoods and the same trails, it was only a matter of time before an accident like the one last weekend that killed a 54-year-old woman mistaken for a bear by a 14-year-old boy, Snohomish County sheriff's Deputy Greg Rasar said Tuesday.
Rasar has been the county's forest-protection officer for nearly 18 years and a law-enforcement officer for almost 30.
In that time, he's seen a lot of dangerous behavior and a lot of close calls. He's written tickets, issued citations and given scores of lectures.
"We have tried all different kinds of ideas to educate people," he said, "but none of them were idiot-proof or bulletproof ... it was just a matter of time until somebody was accidentally shot."
The state lacks "simple and plain" guidelines and regulations that apply to national forests and could make the trails and woods safer for all, he said.
Rasar said many state prohibitions on firearms don't apply to hunters and that stricter regulations and setbacks from campgrounds, trailheads and other populated areas could be useful.
"It would help if there were a tool that law enforcement could use on irresponsible shooters so that when we get complaints we could actually do something instead of saying, 'Sorry, what they're doing is perfectly legal,' " Rasar said.
He said that while the state does have a statute that makes it illegal to recklessly discharge a firearm alongside or across a public highway, it's hard to enforce.
"It's very, very hard for us to prove negligence or recklessness unless somebody sees someone shooting in the road."
Many hikers, he said, are unaware that hunting is legal on most of the state's public lands and do not pay attention to hunting-season dates.
Pamela Almli, an experienced hiker from Oso, Snohomish County, who was aware of hunting seasons, was killed Saturday on a marked hiking trail on Sauk Mountain, Skagit County. She was shot from about 120 yards by a 14-year-old who told police he thought she was a bear.
The boy and his 16-year-old brother had been dropped off at the mountain by their grandfather.
Prosecutors will review the case, but no charges have been filed. Investigators with the Skagit County Sheriff's Department have not released their incident report. They said it is legal in this state for a 14-year-old who has been licensed and has taken a hunter-education class to hunt without adult supervision.
On Tuesday, members of the online group Hunting Washington were upset over the accident, which they said gave true sportspeople and legitimate hunters a bad name.
"Those kids should have been supervised," said member Scott Green. "Even a sharp and safe kid should be supervised."
Green said the shooter broke a cardinal rule of hunting: He failed to positively identify his target with binoculars before firing.
"We do not condone or accept the actions taken by this person and feel that we, as a community, must take a stand against such blatant disregard for safety of those we share the woods with," wrote Green in an e-mail statement Tuesday.
The group would likely oppose additional hunting regulations, but has started a memorial fund to promote educational awareness and outreach programs in Almli's honor, Green said.
"There are already regulations on the books and there are so many hiking trails that there is no way you could do a setback from them," Green said.
Rasar said Forest Service personnel don't like to make judgments about what kind of recreational uses is acceptable. The land is there for people to enjoy and use and protect, he said. He said he's not sure there is a perfect solution.
"The fact is that a lot of people hike and a lot of people are out there shooting, too. Sooner or later, they cross paths and a tragedy can happen," he said. "This is one that's going to haunt people on both sides for a long time."
Christine Clarridge: 206-464-8983 or [email protected]

rocketsocks
10-25-2014, 14:38
I can honestly say I've never seen individually wrapped Watch Caps...and certainly not in orange. Talk about sticking out like a sore foot.

You're doing it wrong! :pyou're right, good catch....fixed it.

rocketsocks
10-25-2014, 14:40
I use thishttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTRJv_XAoZ-H0J7V76lqu3uH7OuNHCwLHA4TPoB1eaoBqTTzqItA:www.bigc amo.com/media/OrangeKnitBigHead.jpg

rocketsocks
10-25-2014, 14:43
prolly the worst thing you could wear

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7Pdas7QfWsYh6flUBmidtv-qt3N5Fg3Lm4XVmNL11_KZUt_vjrA:workingperson.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_79685.jpg

with a white turtleneck, jacket unzipped.

rocketsocks
10-25-2014, 14:50
prolly the worst thing you could wear

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7Pdas7QfWsYh6flUBmidtv-qt3N5Fg3Lm4XVmNL11_KZUt_vjrA:workingperson.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_79685.jpg

with a white turtleneck, jacket unzipped.and these

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQobIv6zxMy2SvsLR4V89KUnNLlvAGdJ l1zsXhe95c9zOsQd4fJFQ:img0.etsystatic.com/004/0/5570203/il_fullxfull.385053038_1w0v.jpg

saltysack
10-25-2014, 15:26
I use thishttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTRJv_XAoZ-H0J7V76lqu3uH7OuNHCwLHA4TPoB1eaoBqTTzqItA:www.bigc amo.com/media/OrangeKnitBigHead.jpg

I use that exact hat by turtle fur....cheap and warm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colter
10-25-2014, 16:39
Hikers kill far more hikers than hunters do. Hunters are far more likely to rescue you than hurt you.

Even though the odds of being shot by a hunter are close to zero, it's still wise to wear bright colors during firearm season. Since the most dangerous time of all is right at first and last light when colors are hard to see, wearing some kind of light during those time periods isn't a silly idea in my estimation.

rafe
10-25-2014, 17:11
Hikers kill far more hikers than hunters do.

Do tell ?!?!

Colter
10-25-2014, 17:47
Do tell ?!?!

Well on the AT, for example, there have been several murders of hikers by hikers, and as far as I know there has never been a hiker killed by a hunter along the AT.

rafe
10-25-2014, 18:04
Well on the AT, for example, there have been several murders of hikers by hikers, and as far as I know there has never been a hiker killed by a hunter along the AT.

Murders of hikers by hikers? On the AT? Sorry I hadn't heard about any of that. Can you provide cites?

Colter
10-25-2014, 18:12
Murders of hikers by hikers? On the AT? Sorry I hadn't heard about any of that. Can you provide cites?

At least three of these murders were by fellow hikers (http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/outdoors/shooting/crime/appalachian-trail-murders.html).

MuddyWaters
10-25-2014, 18:51
As always, it matters not who is at fault, if you are dead.

One Half
10-28-2014, 11:38

It may depend on where and what is being hunted but your times are wrong at least in MA and NH. If hiking during hunting season is a concern I would suggest you find out the facts from the state website where you will be hiking. And while most hunters I know are very conscientious, accidents do happen.

Traveler
10-28-2014, 17:50
Accidents are most usually the result of carelessness, regardless of intent. For that reason I will wear color from mid October to the first of the year. Being seen is two thirds of prevention, the other third is luck.

That said, I'm wondering if there is a Sam Kinnison tape you can play loudly in the woods, "I'm not a @&^% deer you idiot" for the color identification impaired....

bmanice
10-29-2014, 19:18
Hahahaha! That is a great way to ensure you run into some doe in heat!