PDA

View Full Version : Theft of a Georgia to Maine sign?

somers515
10-25-2014, 21:30
On the AT in NJ, at the base of Sunrise Mountain in Culver's Gap there used to be, as recently as earlier this year, a sign that pointed one way to Georgia and the other to Maine. Went on a hike today and the sign was gone. It appeared to have been stolen! What kind of hiker would steal a sign? How could that person look at that sign and feel good about themselves? If it wasn't a hiker why would they want it? Some people are just jerks I guess. An annoying start to my hike but luckily the rest of the day was nice!

QHShowoman
10-25-2014, 21:48
People steal the Mason-Dixon line sign just north of PenMar all the time.

johnnybgood
10-25-2014, 22:15
Sign stealing is nothing new, some people will steal anything. Could be day hiking teenagers with nothing better to do or locals gunning for a souvenir.

squeezebox
10-25-2014, 22:38
Maybe the ATC could offer these signs for sale?
I know how to make them even say 50 at a time. What kind of wood? Distressed? What size? What script? Do you want your name and dates inscribed?
Just don't trash with the trail.

Bronk
10-25-2014, 22:48
If they sold them they would just be attaching a price tag to something that is on a post in the woods with nobody guarding it.

Another Kevin
10-25-2014, 22:49
It makes me think of a village in Austria whose name will hit the profanity filter here, that has trouble with English and Australian tourists stealing the [village name] signs. http://tinyurl.com/63byd (http://tinyurl.com/63byd) .

Don't Do That.

July
10-25-2014, 23:11
Maybe the ATC could offer these signs for sale?
I know how to make them even say 50 at a time. What kind of wood? Distressed? What size? What script? Do you want your name and dates inscribed?
Just don't trash with the trail.

I like the way you think Squeezbox :)

illabelle
10-26-2014, 05:37
It makes me think of a village in Austria whose name will hit the profanity filter here, that has trouble with English and Australian tourists stealing the [village name] signs. http://tinyurl.com/63byd .

Don't Do That.

Thank you Kevin. I had never heard of that town. The story made me laugh. :)

saltysack
10-26-2014, 08:17
Just this week noticed AT sign was gone from NC glassmine gap....I got turned around crossing hwy at night not well blazed and sign gone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
10-26-2014, 08:18
Just this week noticed AT sign was gone from NC glassmine gap....I got turned around crossing hwy at night not well blazed and sign gone...

Winding stair gap not glassmine.....

squeezebox
10-26-2014, 08:52
A little epoxy on the bolt threads would make it much more difficult to unbolt a sign.
Bronk - Yea I see your point, don't think I agree.
With the current price of beef, I don't see any extra folks heading out for deer hunting.

squeezebox
10-26-2014, 08:57
Somebody with the trail name "Epoxy" could carry a small syringe of epoxy and treat all the sign bolts he comes across?

Bronk
10-26-2014, 11:05
Somebody with the trail name "Epoxy" could carry a small syringe of epoxy and treat all the sign bolts he comes across?This sounds like a cheap and effective solution...these are probably crimes of opportunity rather than planned out, so once they find they don't have the right tools to steal it they will probably give up the idea.

Slo-go'en
10-26-2014, 11:47
Signs need to be replaced once in a while from weather or critter damage. The local club (RMC) has a yearly sign auction and they go for big bucks.

Bearleg
10-27-2014, 10:09
For christmas last year my daughter had a local craftsman make a sign simular to an AT sign. Best gift ever. hanging on my man cave wall.

saltysack
10-27-2014, 10:14
For christmas last year my daughter had a local craftsman make a sign simular to an AT sign. Best gift ever. hanging on my man cave wall.

Any pic?

mdschill
10-27-2014, 12:59
Is it possible it was just too weathered and it fell down? I remember the sign there at the parking area was falling off the tree a few years ago just due to weather. My son had to pick it up off the ground to hold it up for a picture we took. (and yes, i promise we left it there!)

Gambit McCrae
10-27-2014, 15:12
Nothing like walking 100 miles looking forward to seeing a state line sign and it being stolen!!!!!!

somers515
11-04-2014, 10:44
Nothing like walking 100 miles looking forward to seeing a state line sign and it being stolen!!!!!!

I hear you Gambit! When I reported the missing sign to the NY-NJ trail conference, I also mentioned that I thought they should consider painting a PA/NJ sign on the sidewalk on the Rt 80 bridge to mark the border. The NJ/NY sign is painted on a rock so that's a nice touch that makes it impossible to steal.

BillyGr
11-04-2014, 15:38
After reading this a second time, I didn't realize that they had signs for specific people (again, read the title of the post a second time).

;) :)

lemon b
11-05-2014, 00:18
Just kids. But can be an issue if it causes mis direction. Common sense is if some sign seems emotionally important one could make their own. I mean what does a thief do brag about being a thief when someone visits their home and asks about the sign?

somers515
11-05-2014, 08:16
After reading this a second time, I didn't realize that they had signs for specific people (again, read the title of the post a second time).

;) :)

LOL! Ok now let's see if I can fix that . . .

somers515
11-05-2014, 08:22
I don't appear to have the ability to edit the tittle to correct George to Georgia. Is that correct?

bangorme
11-06-2014, 00:52
Why do people topple grave stones in a cemetery? It's just a subculture that is everywhere, even on the AT.

Trillium
11-07-2014, 09:43
It makes me think of a village in Austria whose name will hit the profanity filter here, that has trouble with English and Australian tourists stealing the [village name] signs. http://tinyurl.com/63byd .

Don't Do That.
The things you learn on White Blaze.

LIhikers
11-07-2014, 23:44
A little epoxy on the bolt threads would make it much more difficult to unbolt a sign.
Bronk - Yea I see your point, don't think I agree.
With the current price of beef, I don't see any extra folks heading out for deer hunting.

If there are bolt threads involved bend the tail of the bolt or hit the threads with a hammer, hard.
Even epoxy would eventually fall off due to weather

CrumbSnatcher
11-08-2014, 00:19
Signs need to be replaced once in a while from weather or critter damage. The local club (RMC) has a yearly sign auction and they go for big bucks.
i saw one of those auctions just the other day, 1 sign was up to 625.00 with a good bit of time remaining on the auction.

CrumbSnatcher
11-08-2014, 00:21
The 6 signs were all from the White Mountain area, they all had multiple destination on them but the high price tag was mentioning Mt. Washington

Old Hillwalker
11-08-2014, 18:03
Want old NH trail signs. Be prepared to pay through the nose.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/appalachianmtnclub/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=