PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting hostel

cajunqueen
10-19-2005, 12:45
:confused: :confused: I'm 10 minutes from Harper's Ferry and am thinking about starting hostel at my farm. I would like to provide camping, trading post for provisions (Ben & Jerry's, ramen noodles, socks,whatever), shuttle service. I have a large pond for fishing, bathing, and swimming. Any ideas on what hikers are looking for would be helpful. "Will work for beer" works for me, but what would be a reasonable charge for those wanting to just hang out? Would electric and water hookups be helpful? Thinking of maybe a bath house with hot showers, platforms to pitch tents (how big??), and maybe a couple of shelters. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2005, 12:49
$15 minimum and do yourself a favor and don't allow alcohol.

Footslogger
10-19-2005, 12:57
Agree with L Wolf that $15 is a reasonable over night fee. I also agree that skipping the alcohol would be doing yourself a big favor.

In terms of what hikers really NEED, I would say the following:

Shower
Laundry
Dry Bed

Internet Access is often requested but not an absolute necessity. Also, a shuttle into town for food re-supply would be a good thing to offer.

'Slogger

Rollergirl
10-19-2005, 13:48
If you need help building shelters, platforms, etc, I'd be thrilled to come on down for a weekend or two of helpful assistance! Let us know how it comes along!

Hammock Hanger
10-19-2005, 17:34
Agree with L Wolf that $15 is a reasonable over night fee. I also agree that skipping the alcohol would be doing yourself a big favor.

In terms of what hikers really NEED, I would say the following:

Shower
Laundry
Dry Bed

Internet Access is often requested but not an absolute necessity. Also, a shuttle into town for food re-supply would be a good thing to offer.

'Slogger
Ditto! Those are all a hiker needs to get refreshed and back on the trail. If you make it too cushy some hikers will remain TOO long. SOmetimes putting a limit of 2 days on the stay is good (with exceptions from you for an injured hiker.) NIX the alcohol. Let the hikers go to town for that. JMHO

Peaks
10-19-2005, 17:46
I know that Profile and Almanac went through a lot of planning before they committed to a hostel. I suggest that you talk with them, as well as other hostel owners such as Bob Peoples and Miss Janet. Then figure out what you want to do.

SGT Rock
10-19-2005, 18:26
Don't forget a Drill Sergeant style hostel owner to keep if from being too good a place for the leaches and to keep people from trashing it on a drunk weekend.

Sly
10-19-2005, 18:33
A kitchen or a place to cook out of the weather.

Downunda
10-19-2005, 18:53
Harpers Ferry is a great place to stop off. However, for hikers wanting a low cost stay not too far from town the only place I could find was the KOA RV park about 2 miles from town and they give the hikers the really crumby spots to put their tents.

Is your location 10 minutes walk or 10 minutes by car? Whatever, I think it's a great idea in the right location

Agree with previous posts... don't allow alcohol. Hikers can easily get a beer in town if they want.

Jack Tarlin
10-19-2005, 19:07
All good advice so far, especially the folks who suggested you visit a couple of functioning hostels to get an idea of what they're like. Terrapin Station near Front Royal is one place to check out; you should definitely contact Miss Janet in Erwin (you can send her a Private Message right here as she's a longtime member of Whiteblaze) as she'll happily answer any or all of your questions.

As far as what to charge, this depends entirely on the level of services provided. A "simple hostel", i.e. with the bare necessities (Bunk/Tentsite, Shower, Laundry, Telephone) should run about $15.00, as other folks have already suggested. If you add amenities such as Internet services, a working kitchen, rec room with TV, movies, etc., you might charge a bit more. Obviously, for "extras" such as prepared meals or shuttle rides, there would be an additional charge.

Depending on how far you are from the Trail, a free ride back to the Trailhead would be a big draw for your place. Periodic shuttles to the closest town, market, or restaurant would also be a plus, and it's perfectly OK to expect folks to pay for this.

But once again, the best way for you to get an idea of what a functioning hiker hostel is like is to visit one during hiker season, and I strongly urge you to do this at some point.

10-22-2005, 22:47
First check and see what your county will allow you to do . They will more than likley have what facilities you mus to have at a min. Also remember if you have a hostle for people passing thru they will require much more time since they have no transportation.
IMO, you must be in it for the love of the hiker. When at our peak we "work " about 18-20 hours a day. And when you figure the money we make per hour most would shake their head, and offer sympathy.

If you want more ideas from our buisness plan email me and would be happy to answer questions.

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2005, 07:50
First check and see what your county will allow you to do . They will more than likley have what facilities you mus to have at a min. Also remember if you have a hostle for people passing thru they will require much more time since they have no transportation.
IMO, you must be in it for the love of the hiker. When at our peak we "work " about 18-20 hours a day. And when you figure the money we make per hour most would shake their head, and offer sympathy.

If you want more ideas from our buisness plan email me and would be happy to answer questions.Ahhhh, but You and Almanac just love to be around us hikers....:banana

BTW: What adventure did you draw out of the bowl this year???

Uncle Silly
10-23-2005, 18:33
I think $15 is on the high end of "reasonable" for a single night's stay. Most of the hostels I stayed in this summer were free (or donation): Rusty's, the Waynesboro Y campground, Woodshole, the Church of the Mtn in DWG, Upper Goose Pond, the Birdcage. I did stay at Bears Den ($13?) and the Pine Grove Furnace hostel ($13?) but was not entirely satisfied with these -- because of my dog I couldn't stay in the regular hiker lodgings. (In fact, the earliest I ever got on the trail was the morning I left Bears Den.)

On the other hand, I should say that the folks running Bears Den and the Pine Grove Furnace hostel were super nice in that they let me stay at all...

back on topic, I don't have any problem with folks deciding to charge for staying at their hostel. $15 is not terribly expensive, and can be a great deal for a hiker depending on location and amenities provided. But hikers on a shoestring budget may decide to pass up your place before ever even seeing it -- this is why I didn't bother going to Terrapin Station, even though from all reports it sounded like a great place. Naturally, your mileage will vary.

10-23-2005, 20:25
Ahhhh, but You and Almanac just love to be around us hikers....:banana

BTW: What adventure did you draw out of the bowl this year???

Nepal. We are thinking of going for 2 months, bu tnot till next Nov. If you still plan on doing the FLA trial in Jan/Feb we are in for about 2-4 weeks.

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2005, 21:14
Nepal. We are thinking of going for 2 months, bu tnot till next Nov. If you still plan on doing the FLA trial in Jan/Feb we are in for about 2-4 weeks.
Nepal... that sounds interesting.

Yepper.... I will be hiking from the Alabama border down towards Key West as of Dec 5th.

We had to change direction (so now we are SOBOs) due to all the rain and a lot of trail closures down south. We will get off the trail around the 24th for the holidays and then get back on around Jan 2ndish.

I would love to have you join us for a couple of weeks.

Sue

cajunqueen
10-25-2005, 09:29
Ditto! Those are all a hiker needs to get refreshed and back on the trail. If you make it too cushy some hikers will remain TOO long. SOmetimes putting a limit of 2 days on the stay is good (with exceptions from you for an injured hiker.) NIX the alcohol. Let the hikers go to town for that. JMHO
I just went thru that. I had to clean house. I will contact the hostels mentioned and get ideas and much needed advice.

Thanks.

cajunqueen
10-25-2005, 09:35
If you need help building shelters, platforms, etc, I'd be thrilled to come on down for a weekend or two of helpful assistance! Let us know how it comes along!
Thanks!! I have the labor, I need to know specs. How far apart, what size, etc..
My cowboy is an excellent chef. Dinner & a horseback ride??

cajunqueen
10-25-2005, 09:37
Don't forget a Drill Sergeant style hostel owner to keep if from being too good a place for the leaches and to keep people from trashing it on a drunk weekend.
How about an HBIC??:D

Bayou
11-05-2005, 15:34
I have started two section hikes from HF, one north and one south. A hostel there would be a great service for hikers starting and ending hikes in HF.

Offer a mail drop, train station pick-up and drop-off, also "fuel supplies".

Bayou

One Leg
11-05-2005, 19:00
Thanks!! I have the labor, I need to know specs. How far apart, what size, etc..

The shelter system setup at Laurel Highlands was pretty sweet. There were about 4 shelters per area, and they were around 50'-100' apart, each had its' own fireplace that faced the shelter. There was a nearby privy. A couple even had functional showers with real hot water!!!

Peaks
11-05-2005, 20:41
I have started two section hikes from HF, one north and one south. A hostel there would be a great service for hikers starting and ending hikes in HF.

Offer a mail drop, train station pick-up and drop-off, also "fuel supplies".

Bayou

There is the Harpers Ferry AYH in Maryland.

MedicineMan
11-05-2005, 23:53
what gives here? are you also setting up for RV's ???
well i happen to stage some hikes and paddle trips from a small RV so if you get hookups let me know and i'll test them out!

bfitz
11-06-2005, 00:26
I think $15 is on the high end of "reasonable" for a single night's stay. Most of the hostels I stayed in this summer were free (or donation): Rusty's, the Waynesboro Y campground, Woodshole, the Church of the Mtn in DWG, Upper Goose Pond, the Birdcage. I did stay at Bears Den ($13?) and the Pine Grove Furnace hostel ($13?) but was not entirely satisfied with these -- because of my dog I couldn't stay in the regular hiker lodgings. (In fact, the earliest I ever got on the trail was the morning I left Bears Den.)

On the other hand, I should say that the folks running Bears Den and the Pine Grove Furnace hostel were super nice in that they let me stay at all...

back on topic, I don't have any problem with folks deciding to charge for staying at their hostel. $15 is not terribly expensive, and can be a great deal for a hiker depending on location and amenities provided. But hikers on a shoestring budget may decide to pass up your place before ever even seeing it -- this is why I didn't bother going to Terrapin Station, even though from all reports it sounded like a great place. Naturally, your mileage will vary.
That was a joke, right?

MisterSweetie
11-06-2005, 10:41
I would think a computer with high speed internet would be great, especially if you had a drive like this:

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/9060/20176813063kn.jpg

installed in it so people with digital cameras could unload their cameras... maybe even have a stack of blank discs for 50 cents each so they could burn and mail them home...

MedicineMan
11-06-2005, 22:29
I say excellent idea because how many hikers starting out wouldnt be carrying a digital? i'd bet 60% will have one.

weary
11-07-2005, 00:30
ATC has a wonderful guide to shelter building written by a volunteerr for the Maine Appalachian Trail Club. It costs $4-$5 or so. However, I would recommend a single large bunkhouse, or bunk room, as opposed to shelters.

I would also contact Margery and Earle at the Cabin in East Andover, Maine. They started from scratch 11 years ago with a "donation" suggested operation -- and quickly went to a fee facility. Around $15 for an overnight bunk and about the same for two all you can eat meals -- breakfast and dinner.

By ordinary standards, it is not a profitable operation. But it does help pay the mortgage and taxes and keeps them busy and active in their "retirement."

Weary

MedicineMan
11-07-2005, 00:34
will ever get to the point where you can do like they do in europe and hike hut to hut, or in this case hostel to hostel?

weary
11-07-2005, 00:52
will ever get to the point where you can do like they do in europe and hike hut to hut, or in this case hostel to hostel?
I hope not. I hope it remains as much as possible a wild trail, where most nights are spent in a tent or a primitive shelter.

MedicineMan
11-07-2005, 00:57
but you know how things grow and spread, think of the number of hostels today compared to when you and i started hiking (me when there was still significant road walking in places)....not that i'm completely against it, i mean the roads are already there and aren't going anywhere.....in new zealand on the tracts we did you had many choices, hut to hut lavishly supported, hut to hut you carry the food, hut to hut but you cant stay in the hut but can have the water and can buy the food, and so on......to me its all good and i say that because in some ways i accept that i cannot change much on planet earth....if i could:
Skyline Drive would dissapear
441 through GSMNP would dissapear
the ATC would grant 2000miler status if you choose the BMT to Davenport Gap
and of course pigs would fly :)

weary
11-07-2005, 01:09
but you know how things grow and spread, think of the number of hostels today compared to when you and i started hiking (me when there was still significant road walking in places)....not that i'm completely against it, i mean the roads are already there and aren't going anywhere.....in new zealand on the tracts we did you had many choices, hut to hut lavishly supported, hut to hut you carry the food, hut to hut but you cant stay in the hut but can have the water and can buy the food, and so on......to me its all good and i say that because in some ways i accept that i cannot change much on planet earth....if i could:
Skyline Drive would dissapear
441 through GSMNP would dissapear
the ATC would grant 2000miler status if you choose the BMT to Davenport Gap
and of course pigs would fly :)
MedicineMan, I concur with your list of options. But the AT corridor is simply too narrow and too hemmed in by buildings. Some such options may exist for the Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide, but not on the AT.

A possible exception may be Maine where the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust dreams of providing two-mile wide buffers for the corridor. If we succeed many new possibilities would exist, though the most important -- and likely -- alternative probably would be simply a greater sense of wildness for those hiking through Maine.

For those who may want to learn more, our MATLT web site is:

www.matlt.org

WE have bought and paid for the summit of one mountain and the southeast slopes of another.

But much, much remains to be done.

Weary

MedicineMan
11-07-2005, 01:25
MALT makes me want to turn the clock back many years and duplicate the efforts from Springer to Katahdin, can you imagine if the entire AT had a 30 mile buffer.....now that is some serious fantasy work eh? The other night the techs were discussin what they would do if they won a major lottery....i told them i would buy land corridor for the AT...i better start buying lotto tickets.

Peaks
11-07-2005, 09:04
MALT makes me want to turn the clock back many years and duplicate the efforts from Springer to Katahdin, can you imagine if the entire AT had a 30 mile buffer.....now that is some serious fantasy work eh? The other night the techs were discussin what they would do if they won a major lottery....i told them i would buy land corridor for the AT...i better start buying lotto tickets.

Gee, maybe we can start something here:

Maine ATC: The way the AT should be!

weary
11-07-2005, 11:21
Gee, maybe we can start something here:
Maine ATC: The way the AT should be!
Aside from a few miles of state-owned land, 10 years ago all the land abutting the narrow Maine AT corridor was owned by paper companies and a handful of independent family corporations and the land was all dedicated to growing raw materials for lumber and paper mills.

The private corporations still exist and they own a relatively few miles along the trail corridor. But all the paper company lands have been sold to "land investment" corporations, i.e. developers and speculators. Growing trees is no longer a primary goal. Development and profit are now the goals.

The good news is that the forest land near the trail in Maine is almost all on the market. The bad news is that money is increasingly hard to get. I'm active in two land trusts, a town land trust and the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Sadly, I find it is far easier to raise money to purchase land in a tiny coastal Maine town, than for the Appalachian Trail.

Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that MAT Land Trust is a new group and major funders are reluctant to step in until we have a track record.

But miles of buffers are truly possible along much of the trail in Maine. We have a one time opportunty to make the 283 miles of the AT in Maine, among the great trails of the world.

But this is not something that a small state like Maine can do by itself. It needs the support of trail lovers everywhere.

Weary www.matlt.org