PDA

View Full Version : Theoritical hiking plan.

Cedar1974
10-26-2014, 13:29
OK, I have the crazy idea of thru hiking to Burning Man. Now this may sound insane, and it probably is, but I thought it might be an interesting exercise to plan this hike, starting from Mobile Alabama to Black Rock City Nevada, to see how long it would take, and just what I might need to pack with me for this cross country trip. If anyone can help lead me to any resources I would appreciate it. I was thinking getting on the GET up to the ADT, and walking the ADT to Nevada, but then I need to head north west to the corner of Nevada where the Event is. Anyone know where I can get the resources to plan this out? Once I am done I will post my plan.

Slo-go'en
10-26-2014, 15:13
According to Google maps , the distance is 2272 miles and will take 743 hours of walking, which we can assume is the most direct route. Good luck! Personally, I think this kind of cross country trip would be best done as a bicycle tour. Which comes up as 2350 miles, but only takes 196 hours. For reference, if your driving it only takes 37 hours.

Slo-go'en
10-26-2014, 15:21
A closer look at the google walking route shows you walking along a lot of highways. Your also crossing a lot of dry and barren land. Having enough water will be an issue, as will keeping from getting sun burnt.

Malto
10-26-2014, 16:07
Check out the American discovery trail. That will get you cross country and within spitting distance of Burning Man. You could take the AT north to the ADT.

4eyedbuzzard
10-26-2014, 17:37
I believe WB member Lion King has thru-hiked both the AT and ADT (and likely every other long trail in the US as well). Hasn't posted though in quite a while. You might try searching his posts, trail journal, and such for info.

Tuckahoe
10-26-2014, 18:01
Here is a link to Lion King's Youtube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/DEVELOPEXEC/videos

There are sixty-some videos of his ADT hike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdngYmZavU&list=UU-9Pv_8zG85VdgMRi2U-QlQ

Cedar1974
10-27-2014, 08:25
Check out the American discovery trail. That will get you cross country and within spitting distance of Burning Man. You could take the AT north to the ADT.

Remind me never to get into a spitting contest with you. I mean if you can spit half way across Nevada.

Cedar1974
11-05-2014, 20:50
Well I came up with a blaze logo for my trip from Alabama to Burning man. Mind you this trip won't be for a long time. I need to get all the gear together I need. I will also need to find people to help me by setting up water cashes through the desert as well. I do plan on carrying 6 2qt Army canteens with me so I will be able to carry 3 gallons plus what's in my water bladder for while I am walking. I am actually thinking of starting a gofundme campaign to help me finance the movie I plan to make of my journey, though I doubt anyone would be willing to help me with that, but it is an idea. Anyway, at least I have been looking at some important equipment, new shoes.