PDA

View Full Version : Greetings all... I need your expert advice

bayoutrail
10-26-2014, 20:35
Question for tenters out there:
I have an older REI 1/4 dome two man that I picked up used. Loooove this tent... But I wanted to ask this question: the underside of my fly has become VERY tacky... Without a doubt I need to reseal my seams as they are flaking and cracking, but I've noticed now the Fly is sticking to itself when I unpack it.
Aside from needing to reseal, is my fly still alright for the foreseeable future?

Slo-go'en
10-26-2014, 22:54
If it looks like a coated nylon and the coating is sticking or peeling off, you might need a new fly. If it's spent a lot of time set up in direct sun, that can degrade the coating on the fabric and the fabric it's self.

But first, I'd give it a good washing, dry it and repack it with some baby powder sprinkled on it. The powder should keep it from sticking together. You might need to give it a new coat of waterproofing spray.

bayoutrail
10-27-2014, 01:05
I had someone recommend McNett's tent waterproofing products. Reviews seem to be mixed on their product's ability to deliver. It looks like a wash, scrub and recoat will be in order. Is this a good product or do you have a better recommendation? Thanks so much.

If it looks like a coated nylon and the coating is sticking or peeling off, you might need a new fly. If it's spent a lot of time set up in direct sun, that can degrade the coating on the fabric and the fabric it's self.

But first, I'd give it a good washing, dry it and repack it with some baby powder sprinkled on it. The powder should keep it from sticking together. You might need to give it a new coat of waterproofing spray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trailweaver
10-27-2014, 02:03
I also have this problem with my tent, and would like a reliable answer. . . anyone? So far it's been O.K., even in a heavy rain, but then there's next year. I have been very careful with this tent; it hasn't been stored in extreme heat or cold, and wasn't exposed to direct sunlight over time either. I was surprised to find it in that condition when I unpacked it at the beginning of this year.

Kaptain Kangaroo
10-27-2014, 02:24
If the coating has become sticky that indicates that it has degraded and is probably past it's useful life. The fly may still be waterproof for some time, but I probably wouldn't want to test it out in really bad conditions. You may also find that the nylon fabric of the fly itself is also more brittle than when new & may not stand up to wind so well. I have had a couple of tents show these symptoms over the years & have always taken the conservative approach & replaced them.

4runner
10-30-2014, 09:42
It's a known issue with REI "dome" series tent. If u google it you'll see lots of others having the same problem.

When I took my 2009 model to the local store, they blew me off claiming it was beyond its useful life. With nothing to loose, I sent it back to REI HQ with a nice note explaining the situation and they sent me an REI gift card for the new retail value of the tent.

That was last year, after their one year had been put into effect.

Good luck!

bayoutrail
10-30-2014, 10:49
It's a known issue with REI "dome" series tent. If u google it you'll see lots of others having the same problem.

When I took my 2009 model to the local store, they blew me off claiming it was beyond its useful life. With nothing to loose, I sent it back to REI HQ with a nice note explaining the situation and they sent me an REI gift card for the new retail value of the tent.

Good luck!
Appreciate your story... I wonder if they'd do that if I brought it to REI myself?

bayoutrail
10-30-2014, 10:50

Good luck!
Wait... You said you brought yours in first... Never mind haha.