PDA

View Full Version : packing the tent

squeezebox
10-27-2014, 03:59
I'm thinking about getting separate stuff sacks for the tent and rain fly. Because of packing reasons. One bag might fit here, the other there, rather then one place for the whole thing. And then there's the question of how /where to pack the ground cloth. currently thinking Tyvek.

daddytwosticks
10-27-2014, 07:11
I think keeping the fly separate from the inner is a great idea. Especially when packing up a wet tent. Keep the fly outside of the pack to facilitate drying during the day when you take breaks. :)

saltysack
10-27-2014, 07:48
No need for stuff sacks....wrap up in ur Tyvek ground cloth like a burrito....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swjohnsey
10-27-2014, 07:51
Or just skip the ground cloth.

ericmcdaniel
10-28-2014, 01:46
If you're using a sleeping pad that rolls up to pack (either inside your pack or on the outside of your pack), you can roll up your rain fly and put it inside the rolled up sleeping pad. I bought tyvek to make a ground cloth; didn't do it and ended up not missing it. Didn't see too many people with groundcloths on trail either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starchild
10-28-2014, 05:45
I have never needed or desired a ground cloth, there was never a time when if someone, say a trail fairy popped out of a leprechaun's rear side and offered me a groundcloth at the camp site and they would pack it out, I still would not use one. It just seems highly awkward to me. I have a tent, that's what a tent does already.

As for packign the tent in separate baggies, for me no, I like my tent in one place, and that place is already at the rock bottom of my pack, all complete (ok I do carry the stakes in a separate area) and I have a bag suitable for that position. Dividing the tent up has the potential to have pieces mislocated.

daddytwosticks
10-28-2014, 07:18
I have never needed or desired a ground cloth, there was never a time when if someone, say a trail fairy popped out of a leprechaun's rear side and offered me a groundcloth at the camp site and they would pack it out, I still would not use one. It just seems highly awkward to me. I have a tent, that's what a tent does already.

As for packign the tent in separate baggies, for me no, I like my tent in one place, and that place is already at the rock bottom of my pack, all complete (ok I do carry the stakes in a separate area) and I have a bag suitable for that position. Dividing the tent up has the potential to have pieces mislocated.

When you stop for the day in the pouring rain, how do you retrieve your tent without getting the entire contents of your pack soaked? :)

Ktaadn
10-28-2014, 09:48
I don't use any stuff sacks. I just stuff my tent into my pack. And, I don't use a ground cloth.

Starchild
10-28-2014, 11:08
When you stop for the day in the pouring rain, how do you retrieve your tent without getting the entire contents of your pack soaked? :)

The packed items (contents) are in drybags, or are in a trash compcator bag with the tent excluded under that bag instead of in, also my backpack has a bottom zipper allowing me to retrieve it that way.

Slo-go'en
10-28-2014, 11:52
I for one use a ground cloth, which is Tyvek. I spent a lot of money on my tent and I want to protect the floor. It also keeps it from getting all muddy and/or having moisture seeping through. If you do end up in a shelter it is good to lay it out there. That way you don't roll around on the dirty floor or have your head right in the dust and mouse poop. Finally it makes a good emergency tarp to hunker under during a thunderstorm or something to sit on during a lunch break. So, a ground cloth has plenty of uses other then just under the tent.

As to where to carry it, since I don't use water bladders I'll fold it up and slide it into the bladder pouch at the back of the pack.

bmanice
10-29-2014, 18:53
skip the ground cloth and the stuff sack and save the weight. i just roll mine up and put in my bag how ever it fits best around the other gear.

redseal
11-02-2014, 09:41
No ground cloth for me. The tent gets placed in its stuff sack. The rain fly I roll up like a burrito. Both get shoved into the mesh pocket on the outside of my pack.

wornoutboots
11-02-2014, 09:51
I don't carry a ground cloth for my tent but I do carry a 2' X 6.5' sheet of Tyvek for shelters or for the JMT when cowboying since I use an inflatable prolite. When I do tent I pack up the tent & fly into a small compression sack inside my pack.

Havana
11-02-2014, 10:23
Instead of using the stuff sack my tent came with I use a dry bag. If the fly and groundcloth/footprint are wet I'll put them in the dry bag and roll the tent up and place in loose in my pack. That way I don't have two bags. Poles are in an outside pocket held with a compression strap.

rusty bumper
11-02-2014, 10:33
Tent in stuff sack it came with and put in outside mesh pocket in pack. No ground cloth.

lal2wx
11-09-2014, 12:10
I also use a ground cloth. My tent cost too much for me to not be willing to spare a couple ounces for it's well being. And I second the alternative uses of a groundcloth, makes a great tarp in various situations such as going through my pack's when the grounds wet or to block rain from gear when in a shelter during rain.

squeezebox
11-09-2014, 20:09
It doesn't seem to me putting the tent in a compression sack would hurt the tent. Maybe even something lighter than a compression sack DIY

bangorme
11-10-2014, 13:59
I use the footprint manufactured for my tent. It not only protects the floor, but also allows me to keep the inside of the tent dry when setting up in the rain. I just stick the poles in the footprint, attach the fly, then set up the tent under the fly. The footprints used to be heavy, but the one I have is very light.