PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap - January 2015

GABuckeye311
10-27-2014, 12:35
Planning a section hike from Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap during a 3 day weekend in January. I know the deal with how cold it will be and the chance of snow. We did Springer to Woody a few years back and almost got snowed in on that Saturday night.

My question is about general crowds during that time. I have to guess there are not many section hikers venturing out that time of year. I really, really dont want to carry a tent but nervous about the possibility of crowds in the shelters. I guess I could purchase a hammock in the event that there is a large group in the shelters. We hit Hawk Mountain Shelter at the same time that a boyscout troop was coming thru for the night and it was crazy crowded.

Any thoughts or ideas?

saltysack
10-27-2014, 12:40
Wouldn't plan on any crowds that time of year...my favorite time to hike is winter...[emoji2]I'd carry a shelter just in case...tent is warmer IMO...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GABuckeye311
10-27-2014, 12:45
Thanks Salty! I am thinking the same thing about a shelter.

Winter is also my favorite time to get out in the woods. Other then the fact that it is about the only time my kids do not have anything going on. I also enjoy the peace and quite out there...and less bears!!

MuddyWaters
10-27-2014, 20:24
Icy rocks are biggest concern

Shelters are not for large groups.

saltysack
10-27-2014, 20:40
Icy rocks are biggest concern

Shelters are not for large groups.

Yep those rocks make it slow going....took me over 12 hours to hike 15 miles last winter...slow going....think I will buy micro spikes this winter...don't think they work good on rocks though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk