PDA

View Full Version : VA travel logistics for 2015 - help me finish my hike??

HockeyGirl
10-27-2014, 14:03
Just some advice from those who know the trail in VA well please....

In 2012 due to Hurricane Sandy I had to get off trail in the middle of nowhere on VA632 mile 662.6 going sobo. Was heading to Damascus.

I'd really like to finish this section and wondered if I fly into Roanoke and bus it to Blacksburg, are there any shuttles/locals nearby to grab to the trail?
I only managed a hitch out due to luck so wanted a solid plan for getting back in there.

Any advice or other easier logistic suggestions welcomed!

Cheers :-)

illabelle
10-27-2014, 14:41
Sent a PM.

msumax1985
11-10-2014, 17:38
Might be a lot cheaper/easier to fly into Wash DC, then take Megabus to Blacksburg/Christiansburg. Then have a prearranged shuttle driver drive you up to the trail. Our Greyhound buses are not the greatest. But the Megabus I took reminded me a lot of the nice, clean, prompt buses in the UK.

http://us.megabus.com/

"Christiansburg, VA: Effective August 4th, 2014, the megabus.com bus stop will be relocated to a Park and Ride Lot off I-81 Exit 118B at Route 460 (Roanoke Road), opposite Hubbell Drive."

Looks like there is a Dollar General and Food Lion 1/3 mile down the road for resupply before you catch your shuttle.

Ken.davidson
11-10-2014, 19:41
Another option is fly into Washington and take Amtrack . Here is a link to the Amtrack web page. Amtrak is cheap and clean. Good luck in finshing your hike. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=LYH

ratfaceraines
11-10-2014, 20:16
fly to roanoke, smartway bus to blacksburg, shuttle to 632/156 or fly to d.c., megabus to christiansburg. shuttle to 632. international flight to d.c. maybe cheaper than the additional flight to roanoke. feel free to call 540-921-7433(RIDE) anytime--i shuttle in that area.

Odd Man Out
11-10-2014, 23:15
I camped by that road crossing on my first night out this summer. I flew to BWI and took the late afternoon Amtrak train to Lynchburg. This connects with a bus to Roanoke that gets in late at night (about 10:30 PM). It worked for me as I was staying overnight with a friend in Roanoke who picked me up at the bus stop and drove me to the trailhead the next morning. I suggest contacting HikerMom on Facebook.

The Megabus schedule could be a problem. Currently, the Megabus from DC either in the morning (9:00 AM) so your flight would have to arrive very early to get to the station on time. If you can't make that, there's an evening bus, but that will drop you off in a parking lot by the highway at 2:15 AM. Without local transport, that wouldn't be very practical.

Flying to Roanoke is easy. Taking the train or bus from DC will be more of a hassle, but could save you money, if that is a concern, although I have found that sometimes connecting to a small airport after an overseas flight is cheaper than flying to a major hub (go figure). If you do decide to fly to DC, compare prices for all three airports (BWI, IAD, DCA). You can get to the city easily from all three airports by bus or train (I've done all three), but DCA and BWI are easier than IAD. If flying from overseas, you can't fly to DCA unless you connect at another US airport.