PDA

View Full Version : Best instant coffee

Cedar1974
10-27-2014, 16:45
Well, considering everyone in my last post thinks I'm some kind of monster for not wanting coffee, I'll ask now, what would be the best coffee to pack on the trail? Would it be smarter to buy a large jar and repackage it, or just buy the prepacked stuff. I also like cream and sugar for my coffee so I package my own coffee I could add the cream and sugar into the new Straw package I learned how to make.

Starchild
10-27-2014, 16:52
I go back and forth between 2 , the Starbucks via series and the Taster's choice 100% Colombian coffee. Nothing else has come close. If I had to chose I'd go for the 100% as it tastes more like coffee and it costs about 1/2 the price of the 'rich' but somewhat uncoffee flavor of the Starbucks brand.

I typically use the creamer powered packages, no sugar.

I have seen some 3 in 1 coffee, sugar, creamer powder, which is OK if you like all three and very convenient. I have also repackages my own but find the single serving packages of coffee and creamer to be the way to go.

The Solemates
10-27-2014, 18:26
i dont drink coffee on the trail either although i am a 4-6 cup a day guy at home.

but if i did drink it on the trail i certainly wouldnt ruin it by drinking instant coffee polluted with sugar and fake powdered cream substitute :)

drink it black like a real man:)

Odd Man Out
10-27-2014, 18:33
Starbucks Via for me. I'm going to experiment with hot cocoa/mocha made with Starbucks, Cocoa and Nido.

colorado_rob
10-27-2014, 18:40
Yep, SB's Via's, 66 cents each at Costco. Two every morning. Folgers Black Silk is close and a tad cheaper, but SB's tastes pretty darn good for instant.

ocasey3
10-27-2014, 18:51
We really love this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Sugar-White-Coffee-Ounce/dp/B0087JAAA6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1414450202&sr=8-4&keywords=old+town+coffee

Hikes in Rain
10-27-2014, 19:58
Just before a hike, I grind beans I roast a day or so prior. Make cowboy coffee with hot water, just below boiling, steep for five minutes, and then pour though a small strainer (so I don't end up chewing grounds). Add a little honey and a sprinkle of NIDO. Yeah, I'm a fanatic.

vamelungeon
10-27-2014, 20:11
I use a coffee press. I HATE instant. I love my morning coffee out in the woods.

lowcountry legend
10-27-2014, 20:17
Africafe, drank it on Kili. Always in my pack now.

July
10-27-2014, 20:21
I am wondering why the starbucks via does not taste as much like 'coffee' as tasters choice or nescafe? I have used all the aforementioned while in the woods. For instance with the nescafe I will buy a large jar, and repackage into 'straws'. Works well as I can load a straw with the amount, 'strength' I like to taste.

MuddyWaters
10-27-2014, 20:25
I think via all tastes burnt

Despite the processing, I prefer nescafe singles.

Malto
10-27-2014, 20:25
Starbucks Via for me. I'm going to experiment with hot cocoa/mocha made with Starbucks, Cocoa and Nido.

I do exactly this only with the Folgers packets. I discovered that this makes an excellent cold coffee drink. Possibly one of the best drinks I have had on the trail.

bigcranky
10-27-2014, 20:26
+1 for the Via, though the Nescafe single serving tubes are not terrible, and way way cheaper.

Starchild
10-27-2014, 20:28
I am wondering why the starbucks via does not taste as much like 'coffee' as tasters choice or nescafe? I have used all the aforementioned while in the woods. For instance with the nescafe I will buy a large jar, and repackage into 'straws'. Works well as I can load a straw with the amount, 'strength' I like to taste.

IDK biut have you noticed how myou can't make a hamburger that tastes like McD's ? I suspect something similar, make a taste that can not be duplicated.

Another Kevin
10-27-2014, 20:31
One of the luxury items in my pack is an old-fashioned pour-over Melitta coffee filter.
If I can't have real coffee, I'm not going!

10-K
10-27-2014, 20:33
If you have a 500 ml or bigger pot the coffees that come with hotel room coffee makers are pretty awesome.

Fill pot with cold water, float a coffee "pod", heat water to almost boiling, remove from heat and let steep for 5 minutes.

As good as coffee from a coffee maker.

If you're a total hiker-bum you can ask the front desk for a few extras.

The Solemates
10-27-2014, 23:22
If you have a 500 ml or bigger pot the coffees that come with hotel room coffee makers are pretty awesome.

Fill pot with cold water, float a coffee "pod", heat water to almost boiling, remove from heat and let steep for 5 minutes.

As good as coffee from a coffee maker.

If you're a total hiker-bum you can ask the front desk for a few extras.

i always snag these!

One Half
10-27-2014, 23:23
caffeine makes me pee frequently so I try to avoid it n the trail

10-K
10-28-2014, 06:52
I was so inspired by this that I just ordered 150 packages of hotel room coffee for $46.66, shipping included. Each packet contains 0.5 oz of coffee which is about perfect for 400 ml IMO.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ellis-regular-5-oz-room-service-coffee-packets-150-case/110C1045171.html

daddytwosticks
10-28-2014, 07:12
I have reduced my caffeine intake to about zero. However, when I hike, I still like a hot cup of Joe in the AM. I now like Trader Joe's 3 in 1 instant coffee (coffee, creamer, sugar). I'll sometimes throw in one of those tiny tubs of half and half to make it blonder. Like my coffee blonde and sweet. :)

OCDave
10-28-2014, 09:22
I preferred fresh brewed but, when that's not convenient I have 2 suitable substitutes;

http://www.kavacoffee.com Instant coffee
and
http://www.medagliadoro.com/espresso-products.aspx Instant espresso

Both taste better and are more economical than Sb Via packets

Damn Yankee
10-28-2014, 10:47
I also use a coffee press. I grind my beans before leaving and place in a ziplock baggie however, I am in the process of looking at grinders for hiking. I love coffee to much to settle for less than what I drink at home.

colorado_rob
10-28-2014, 11:35
I preferred fresh brewed but, when that's not convenient I have 2 suitable substitutes;

http://www.kavacoffee.com Instant coffee
and
http://www.medagliadoro.com/espresso-products.aspx Instant espresso

Both taste better and are more economical than Sb Via packetsThanks for these suggestions, OCDave, hard to believe I'll like them as much as Via's, but worth a shot; the major flaw with Via's (for those of us that like their taste) is their packaging and cost.

Sir-Packs-Alot
10-28-2014, 11:37
Although it's prcier than the rest of the brands - Starbucks Via wins hands down for me - I personally prefer the blonde roast :)

Starchild
10-28-2014, 13:12
Thanks for these suggestions, OCDave, hard to believe I'll like them as much as Via's, but worth a shot; the major flaw with Via's (for those of us that like their taste) is their packaging and cost.

What is the flaw with their packaging? The little pre-proportioned tubes I find a great and light weight convenience out there and I know exactly how many servings I am packing. With all my coffee in a ziplock I find I usually carry more then I need and it gets messy after a while.

One Half
10-28-2014, 13:43
I think like most things hiking related (and life related) what is best for me may not work for you. I am a coffee snob at home. Though I have severely cut back on my caffeinated drinks. I try not to drink caffeine on hikes as I said previously, it makes me have to pee frequently. But if I was bringing caffeine on hikes I likely would opt for the VIA packs.

BillyGr
10-28-2014, 15:40
What is the flaw with their packaging? The little pre-proportioned tubes I find a great and light weight convenience out there and I know exactly how many servings I am packing. With all my coffee in a ziplock I find I usually carry more then I need and it gets messy after a while.

The thought maybe that if they offered a multi serving package it would be a bit cheaper? Kind of like those K-cups vs. coffee in a bag as to a per serving cost.

atraildreamer
10-28-2014, 16:31
Just before a hike, I grind beans I roast a day or so prior. Make cowboy coffee with hot water, just below boiling, steep for five minutes, and then pour though a small strainer (so I don't end up chewing grounds). Add a little honey and a sprinkle of NIDO. Yeah, I'm a fanatic.

Real cowboys didn't worry about the grounds...besides, they can be a source of nutrition on the trail! :D

BTW, has anyone figured out how to dehydrate a donut to go with that coffee? :confused:

Starchild
10-28-2014, 16:40
The thought maybe that if they offered a multi serving package it would be a bit cheaper? Kind of like those K-cups vs. coffee in a bag as to a per serving cost.

That goes to cost, which was mentioned as a disadvantage. And as for k-cups, Starbucks notoriously sold them in 10 packs, instead of 12 packs, leaving space in the box for 2 additional k-cups. Starbucks likes to market their product as high end expensive as part of their mystique and bottom line. Again that only goes to cost.

But the package seems, as i pointed out above, highly efficient for a hiker - no excess carried, no water absorbed instant coffee bits in a ziplock, no mess. Seems like very favorable hiker friendly packaging, unless colorado_rob feels the need to carry the cardboard package the tubes come in.

Cedar1974
10-28-2014, 17:50
You know, this may sound strange, but I think I may try the instant coffee that Dollar Tree carries and see how that is and package straws with that cream and sugar, then I can use the straw to stir the coffee as well.

4eyedbuzzard
10-28-2014, 17:58
I've used the Melitta Senseo pods http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/senseo-pods which are single cup servings like an overstuffed coffee tea bag meant for their machine. Convenient packaging and brews up well in a small pot. Also carry a few of those no refrigeration needed Mini-Moo 1/2 & 1/2's on my short weekend hikes. What's an ounce or two extra in order to have really good coffee the way I like it.

Cedar1974
10-28-2014, 20:32
What's an ounce or two extra in order to have really good coffee the way I like it.

I'm glad to hear this. I am glad to see not everyone is a gram Nazi on this forum. I can understand the concept of every gram counts, but sometimes you just have to toss that out the indow for comfort foods, like self dehydrated Mac and cheese (Yes I saw a video where a guy did that for a hike.)

Havana
10-28-2014, 21:44
I alternate between carrying the French press attachment for my Jetboil and Starbucks Via. You can't beat the convenience of Via. I hate putting food (including coffee grounds) in my Jetboil cup preferring only to boil water in it. I hate cleaning the damn thing. That said, sometimes I just can't resist fresh brewed.

Superbugz
10-28-2014, 22:37
I like the Trader Joes 3 in 1 packets. I make 2 in 12oz water and it comes out perfect. I'd liken myself to be rather coffee snobbish but this works great for me. I only pack what I know I need, so there's no sharing in my camp : )

brianb2
10-29-2014, 01:01
+1 for cowboy coffee. Use an espresso grind for better results.

rocketsocks
10-29-2014, 06:30
I got this little French press thingy, prolly weighs a 1/2 lb...Via's not bad, but I gotta have real cream, at lest those little liquid half shots.

colorado_rob
10-29-2014, 07:44
What is the flaw with their packaging? The little pre-proportioned tubes I find a great and light weight convenience out there and I know exactly how many servings I am packing. With all my coffee in a ziplock I find I usually carry more then I need and it gets messy after a while.Well, those little packs seem silly, hard to open for my fumbling fingers, I wish you could just buy the Via product in a jar/box or something, like a lot of other instant coffees, that's all. I've also made the mistake a couple times of thinking I had more Via's than I did, counting empty packets, that sort of thing. No biggie, fine product! We even carry Via's car camping these days, shunning our old French press method.

Sly
10-29-2014, 08:02
MSR MugMate

2Ply
10-29-2014, 10:43
Folgers real coffee singles are nice too. Regular coffee in tea bag form is really easy to make and light as well.

Tuckahoe
10-29-2014, 15:45
I have come to really like the Trader Joe's 3-n-1 instant coffee. In my goal to reduce my food bulk its nice to have it all contained in a single package. No repackaging of coffee, sweetener or creamer from larger packaging, and no accumulation of many individual empties either.

Has anyone tried the Jiva Cubes yet? http://www.jivacubes.com/

OCDave
10-29-2014, 17:05

I like my coffee black, unsweetened and unflavored. It looks like these come sweetened at a minimum. Am I miss reading?

Tuckahoe
10-29-2014, 17:54
I like my coffee black, unsweetened and unflavored. It looks like these come sweetened at a minimum. Am I miss reading?

No you are not misreading. Most of their products are flavored and sweetened. But it looks like from their home page picture slider they're starting a Kickstarter campaign to bring "Jiva Black" to market as a non-sweetened non-flavored coffee cube. Watch the picture slider cycle through and it should come up.

Like I said I have not tried them yet myself and was wonder if anyone has.

Cedar1974
10-30-2014, 05:14

I'm actually interested in these because they have a hot chocolate version and I'd prefer a nice hot cocoa to coffee any day.

KillerKarma
11-02-2014, 15:18
I only drink black coffee so I think I'm leaning towards using a press. Haven't made coffee on any shorter trips, but I'm not sure tea will cut it on my thru.

Cadenza
11-02-2014, 17:32
I insist on good, fresh ground coffee. My favorites are Jamaican Blue Mountain and Starbucks Verona.

This is my method to the madness:
The filter fits the Nalgene bottle. The Nalgene nests in the mug.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=60554&original=1&c=694

The whole works go into a nifty cozy.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=60555&original=1&c=694

Furlough
11-02-2014, 18:58
Nescafe Clasico is my instant brand of choice. A better, bolder taste than Via and less expensive as well.

ZenRabbit
11-03-2014, 21:14
+1 for the Nescafe Classico. Also available in the Caribbean and South America :)

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk4

DeerPath
11-04-2014, 15:01
drink it black like a real man:)

Ditto...............

winger
11-04-2014, 15:02
Did a very cold hike over the weekend along the Chattooga River Trail and part of the Foothills Trail and had the Jiva cubes. Delicious. But are compressed with raw cane sugar so those coffee drinkers who prefer theirs black wouldn't care for them.

Connie
11-05-2014, 01:45
I like Nescafe Classico and Nescafe Suave instant coffee made with three measured 1/4 tsp. in smoking hot water or just arrived at a roiling boil (not later).

This particular instant coffee has all the good coffee flavor without the big caffeine "hit".

The only other coffee, except barrista coffee, I like is International Delight iced coffee. I have not figured out how to repackage and backpack. Ice cubes, the tiny ice cubes?

I also like Coffee-Mate Latte or French Vanilla coffee creamer in the Nescafe Classico or Nescafe Suave instant coffee prepared as I described I have also not figured out how to repackage and backpack well. The pre-packaged individual serving-size can get smashed.

Gram Weenie
11-22-2014, 21:20
+1 for Starbucks Via

Connie
11-22-2014, 21:25
I heard about the coffee cubes at Stick's Blog. He liked coffee cubes.

Coffee
11-22-2014, 21:33
I've been trying to find an acceptable instant other than Starbucks via that I am likely to find in trail towns. So far, no luck. I'm not doing food mail drops but might have to resort to ordering 50 pack Vias from Amazon every 2-3 weeks...

Traveler
11-23-2014, 09:47
Since I drift between hot cocoa and coffee, I have found myself experimenting with a mixture of the two and making a mocha blend. Sometimes better than others, but I have not yet found the right mix of instant ingredients. I have not seen any blends in stores (admittedly I don't look all that hard), does anyone know of any or if you make this, what instants have you found to work best?

Coffee
11-23-2014, 09:49
I've gone with a cocoa/coffee blend at times as well. I do this when I can only find the typical instant coffees which I don't like except when combined with chocolate. Usually I would mix one Swiss Miss packet with a tablespoon of instant with ten ounces of hot water. I guess this is my fallback if I run out of Vias and a small town grocery doesn't have good instant coffee in stock.

Furlough
11-23-2014, 10:00
Coffee - Try the NesCafe Clasico. You can get it at Food Lion and Giant. I used Via for awhile but switched to the NesCafe and have not looked back.

fiddlehead
11-23-2014, 10:04
Must say I tried Starbucks coffee the other day.
No thanks.
It tasted burnt to me.
I'd take my Nescafe instant over that high-priced hyped up black **** any day..

I guess it depends on what you are used to.
I'm used to instant at the moment.

I prefer not to have my life more complicated than it is, so, go for the simplest coffee. (and I learned to like it)

juma
11-25-2014, 19:41
One I've found has become my goto - Bustello instant espresso. You can only find it at the very exclusive 500+ Big Lots everywhere. Its always tucked away from other coffee so you have to really look close and go over every aisle but I have always found it. Usually about 5$ for a giant azz jar. I pour it into a gallon baggie. In the the morning, I like a 12-16 oz cup at heavy strength. during the day I make a 2 oz espresso strength. If you want to save on stove fuel, you can just make small espresso cups all the time. I also mix 3 spoonfuls with two paks of hot chocolate served cold. Makes a great morning shake done in the tent. You'll come out of the tent at 4 mph.

Coffee
11-25-2014, 20:15
I was recently given a can of Cafe Bustelo ground coffee. Not bad when made in my drip coffee machine. Is the instant a different product?

Lyle
11-25-2014, 21:17
I've settled on Nescafe "Clasico". Just empty the jar into a ziplock. I also carry a small ziplock of creamer. I've found this arrangement allows me to make whatever size cup of coffee I want, as strong as I want. The taste is pretty pleasant. Very light weight solution as well.

The packets never had the proper amount of coffee for the cups I used, and I've gotten two boxes of the Taster's Choice brand that had apparently gotten wet and crystallized in the packet (bought this way). They were not usable, so had to go without coffee.

The coffee bags work well also, but are more expensive and produced more trash without any real advantage to taste. They contain a fair amount of instant coffee in each bag, so taste similar to other instants.

Grey Ghost
11-26-2014, 09:05
I've settled on Nescafe "Clasico". Just empty the jar into a ziplock. I also carry a small ziplock of creamer. I've found this arrangement allows me to make whatever size cup of coffee I want, as strong as I want. The taste is pretty pleasant. Very light weight solution as well.

The packets never had the proper amount of coffee for the cups I used, and I've gotten two boxes of the Taster's Choice brand that had apparently gotten wet and crystallized in the packet (bought this way). They were not usable, so had to go without coffee.

The coffee bags work well also, but are more expensive and produced more trash without any real advantage to taste. They contain a fair amount of instant coffee in each bag, so taste similar to other instants. Nescafe Clasico, not too expensive and tastes great for instant coffee.

colorado_rob
11-26-2014, 10:13
Must say I tried Starbucks coffee the other day.
No thanks.
It tasted burnt to me.
I'd take my Nescafe instant over that high-priced hyped up black **** any day..

I guess it depends on what you are used to.
I'm used to instant at the moment.

I prefer not to have my life more complicated than it is, so, go for the simplest coffee. (and I learned to like it)"Complicated" coffee? that's a new one. "Hyped up Black ****", that's downright rude. But anyway, on one point we agree: it depends on what you're used to. I grew up back east drinking Folgers and other weak coffee brands because my parents did, then maybe 20 years ago out in the west I drank my first cup of nice, strong, "burnt" (AKA: dark roasted) coffee from Seattle... wow, I thought I had died and had gone to heaven. Why had I been drinking that weak dark-colored hot water all those years?

Anyway, nothing magic about Starbucks in particular, I actually like Pete's and a few other Seattle coffees better, it's just that Startucks is the only "burnt" brand that comes micro-ground (AKA: Via's), to my knowledge, at least. The micro-ground coffees have much more surface area than conventional instant coffees, hance the much stronger flavor. Not for everyone, but sure works for a heck of a lot of folks.

juma
11-26-2014, 11:10
I was recently given a can of Cafe Bustelo ground coffee. Not bad when made in my drip coffee machine. Is the instant a different product?

yes, in that its an instant. You see bustelo in the grocery stores all the time as a whole coffee ready for a machine. You never see the instant. the only place I've found it for sale is Big Lots. There are a couple of other instant espressos around in the grocery stores like megaladorio and one other. I think the bustelo is just as good or better.

bobp
11-27-2014, 11:12
You see bustelo in the grocery stores all the time as a whole coffee ready for a machine. You never see the instant.

Score one benefit to living in the Garden State! I get Cafe Bustelo instant at Wegmans (grocery store for those who have never heard of it). It is my first choice for backpacking (I shipped a crazy amount of it to Philmont with our stoves and some cheaper Folger's instant for the youths).

double d
11-27-2014, 14:41
I use a coffee press. I HATE instant. I love my morning coffee out in the woods. Good point, but how do you carry the press hiking? seem like a heavy item.

HeartFire
11-27-2014, 19:11
I find the Bustelo instant coffee at Ingles market in Asheville all the time (It's what I drink).

vamelungeon
11-28-2014, 10:49
Good point, but how do you carry the press hiking? seem like a heavy item.
It's 10.8 ounces, including the cup. http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/personal_java_press

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2014, 11:39
As I read this post there is miss-apprehension about drinking coffee with fake creamers such as coffee mate. My wife switched to this instead of Half and Half to control her cholesterol and it made in her eyes a significant difference.

Corn syrup solids are the dry form of corn syrup, a sweetener derived from corn. It is used in foods where it is impractical to use liquid syrup. It is less sweet than cane sugar (table sugar or sucrose) and is available in three different sweetness levels or dextrose equivalent (DE) ratings. The level of sweetness determines the ingredient function and foods that it can be used in.
Corn syrup solids are used in powdered coffee creamers and dry beverage mixes. Corn syrup solids are also added as a thickener as it adds texture and mouth-feel to many processed foods. It is also an ingredient in baby formula. Corn syrup solids are also used to encapsulate food ingredients, like flavors. The “sugar coated” flavor is protected from degradation, oxidation and rancidity.

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2014, 11:50
Alternatives would be Mini Moo's, ( My fav ) Half and Half, almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, even soy milk.

And now an interesting message from the Huffington Post & Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters....

Pssst (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/02/coffee-creamer-flavor_n_4531259.html). lots of stuff we eat catches fire.....

Praha4
11-28-2014, 12:12
I love the Starbucks Via Instant Iced Coffees, carry them on every 3 season hike. For hot instant coffee, I could go with just about any instant coffee, those Folgers pouches are okay.

shelb
11-28-2014, 23:34
I like Starbucks individual instants....