PDA

View Full Version : Looking at UL 2 mans tents

bayoutrail
10-27-2014, 20:32
Don't have a ton to spend but just discovered my REI 1/4 Dome's fly is delaminating and the tent's too old to warranty... So I'm surviving with it while I start looking...
Anyone have a good condition BA, MSR, etc 2 man ultra lite they're looking to unload? Thanks in advance all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalebJ
10-28-2014, 00:00
There's an expiration date on the REI warranty?

bayoutrail
10-28-2014, 00:37
Yes, they changed the policy a little over a year ago. They only warranty/replace products up to one year.

CalebJ
10-28-2014, 00:48
To my knowledge that doesn't apply to products sold under the earlier warranty. They can't go back and change the warranty terms after the sale.

bayoutrail
10-28-2014, 02:22
I would agree on that, but the original warranty doesn't apply to me because I'm also not the original owner of the tent. I bought it used and it had an issue with a zipper and i called to ask about warranty work on that; that's when I learned about the new policy. They told me the age of the tent and the fact that I'm not the original owner equalled to them not being able to do anything for me. I wound up fixing the zipper locally, but called again just to ask if they had any older flys I could potentially purchase and they didn't have any nor did they offer any replacement.
It's REI's policy; I guess I can't get that upset that they didn't offer to replace an older tent that I got for a song with a brand new one for free, right? :-)

Gambit McCrae
10-28-2014, 08:34
Mail it to them in WA, with a nice note and they will probably replace it

bayoutrail
10-29-2014, 14:46
Mail it to them in WA, with a nice note and they will probably replace it
I have a trip soon... Couldn't afford to be without a tent for that long.
That would be nice if that worked though :-)

bayoutrail
10-29-2014, 14:47
Anyone have a Hubba Hubba they are looking to transition out of?

HooKooDooKu
10-29-2014, 17:15
Is this tent for one or two people?

If you're using it as just a large one man tent, I would suggest looking at the Kelty Salida 2. REI currently has them on sale for $130. It's got a foot print similar to the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. The primary differences are that it is about 1 pound heavier than the $400 Copper Spur, and only has one door.

bayoutrail
10-30-2014, 02:07

If you're using it as just a large one man tent, I would suggest looking at the Kelty Salida 2. REI currently has them on sale for $130. It's got a foot print similar to the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. The primary differences are that it is about 1 pound heavier than the $400 Copper Spur, and only has one door.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Havana
10-30-2014, 10:13
My son uses a BA Copper Spur UL2 that he likes it for two people or one. Two doors allows for a good breeze to pass through and ease of entry if you're using for two people. I have a BA Fly Creek UL2. It's really a roomy one person tent. Since the vestibule is not really functional for a pack (it's small and when the rain fly door is fully open it will let rain fall into the main tent) you really have to bring you gear inside.

bayoutrail
10-30-2014, 10:47
My son uses a BA Copper Spur UL2 that he likes it for two people or one. Two doors allows for a good breeze to pass through and ease of entry if you're using for two people. I have a BA Fly Creek UL2. It's really a roomy one person tent. Since the vestibule is not really functional for a pack (it's small and when the rain fly door is fully open it will let rain fall into the main tent) you really have to bring you gear inside.
I'm not much for vestibule storage either. My gear comes inside with me.
Would love a spur 2... Just can't handle the sticker shock.

Mags
10-30-2014, 11:07
Yes, they changed the policy a little over a year ago. They only warranty/replace products up to one year.

I believe the one year stipulation is for "no questions asked returns". Very generous. They will still honor defects on products regardless of time, though.

http://www.rei.com/help/return-policy.html

A delaminating tent fly may or may not be considered a defect or just normal and wear tear. If you call and politely ask, who knows what may happen?

EDIT: Saw you are not the original owner...never mind. :)

bayoutrail
10-31-2014, 01:06
I believe the one year stipulation is for "no questions asked returns". Very generous. They will still honor defects on products regardless of time, though.

http://www.rei.com/help/return-policy.html

A delaminating tent fly may or may not be considered a defect or just normal and wear tear. If you call and politely ask, who knows what may happen?

EDIT: Saw you are not the original owner...never mind. :)

Yes, not original owner. :-(
In some respects, I completely understand and in some I don't.
Osprey guarantees their packs for the life of the "product." I wonder why more do not.. I suppose the ultimate answer is abuse of the system.

Bluegrass
10-31-2014, 12:44

I have a Kelty Salida 2 that I carry when backpacking with my girlfriend. We bought it summer of 2013, and have probably used it about 10 nights in the last year, including two nights of car camping.

Pros:
Cost cannot be beat
Durability - so far we have had no issues with it
Packs relatively small
Weight is manageable - I carry it all including footprint
Decent headroom
Setup and take down is very easy
Decent sized vestibule area

Cons:
For two people the lack of a second door is annoying.
Not the lightest two person tent out there
Ventilation with the fly on could be better
It is a little cramped with two people - there is no way you could do two people and all their gear

I keep considering replacing it with a Tarptent Double Rainbow, but the Salida 2 has proven itself worthy enough that spending the money on the TT does not make sense.

bayoutrail
10-31-2014, 13:38
I have a Kelty Salida 2 that I carry when backpacking with my girlfriend. We bought it summer of 2013, and have probably used it about 10 nights in the last year, including two nights of car camping.

Pros:
Cost cannot be beat
Durability - so far we have had no issues with it
Packs relatively small
Weight is manageable - I carry it all including footprint
Decent headroom
Setup and take down is very easy
Decent sized vestibule area

Cons:
For two people the lack of a second door is annoying.
Not the lightest two person tent out there
Ventilation with the fly on could be better
It is a little cramped with two people - there is no way you could do two people and all their gear

I keep considering replacing it with a Tarptent Double Rainbow, but the Salida 2 has proven itself worthy enough that spending the money on the TT does not make sense.
Solid info. Thanks for sharing!

HooKooDooKu
10-31-2014, 14:22
If you're not in a hurry for a new tent, I would also suggest that you wait and see what can be found on either Black Friday or after Christmas clearance sales.

I've twice scored clearance prices on a tents after Christmas (especially on tents that were discontinued or undergoing changes for the next year's model).

bayoutrail
10-31-2014, 15:30
If you're not in a hurry for a new tent, I would also suggest that you wait and see what can be found on either Black Friday or after Christmas clearance sales.

I've twice scored clearance prices on a tents after Christmas (especially on tents that were discontinued or undergoing changes for the next year's model).
Great suggestion. I do have a trip before black Friday... But that doesn't mean I can't get another one during that time... If the price is right ;-)

bayoutrail
11-07-2014, 12:59
Thanks for the help everyone. I wound up with a great Copper Spur UL2. Deertrail, thanks!

Havana
11-07-2014, 13:08
Glad you got over the sticker shock. You won't be disappointed.

bayoutrail
11-07-2014, 17:45
Glad you got over the sticker shock. You won't be disappointed.
Can't wait to use it!

NY HIKER 50
11-07-2014, 20:31
Let's be realistic. A "two man" tent is an acronym for ONE PERSON WITH GEAR.

Havana
11-07-2014, 22:09
Amen, brother!

bayoutrail
11-08-2014, 00:08

Amen, brother!
Couldn't agree more!

rhinodyson
11-25-2014, 19:16

Watch in January (if you are an REI member) they will have their yard sale. That's when I'm getting the majority of my gear.:sun

HeartFire
11-25-2014, 19:44

Just how much room do you need in a 2 person tent? My LightHeart Gear Duo tent will easily fit 2 adults AND their gear - on sale on black Friday - use coupon code save25 for 25% off on tents and rain gear. www.lightheartgear.com

amuroray
12-29-2014, 12:28
I have a BA Fly Creek UL 2 with footprint if interested.

rhinodyson
01-04-2015, 15:32
I have a BA Fly Creek UL 2 with footprint if interested.
I am interested amuroray. Let me know how much and pics