PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a back up flash light?

saltysack
10-27-2014, 22:19
This past week while night hiking my zebra light turned off unexpectedly....turns out while climbing through a downed tree near Wallace gap a branch must have hit the power button...made me wonder if I should carry one of those lil keychain type led lights as a back up.....guess could use my cell phone light....thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

July
10-27-2014, 22:21
This past week while night hiking my zebra light turned off unexpectedly....turns out while climbing through a downed tree near Wallace gap a branch must have hit the power button...made me wonder if I should carry one of those lil keychain type led lights as a back up.....guess could use my cell phone light....thoughts?

Carry matches http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php

Slo-go'en
10-27-2014, 22:38
On a winter trip in February, I forgot my headlamp up at a cabin when I packed up in the morning and didn't notice until it got dark and was too far along to go back. I had to hike 1.5 miles of icy trail with only some feeble moon light to see by. It took hours to do those 1.5 miles and I was lucky I knew the twists and turns of that trail pretty much by heart. Opps, going down a drainage ditch, not the trail. Back up and try again...

So yeah, ever since then I carry a spare flashlight, even in summer. In the summer it's a key chain type, in the winter something more substantial.

rafe
10-27-2014, 22:41
Keychain LED light weighs a few grams, good for peace of mind.

MuddyWaters
10-27-2014, 23:07
No
My backup plan if my light fails is to spend night right where I am if necessary.
Then arrange next few days so I don't need any artificial light till I get to town and replace it.

I expect I could make fire if necessary too, enough to make camp by.

Honestly, unless I'm planning to night hike, I really don't need a light for much. Once its dark I'm in shelter for night. When I do night hike, its usually in morning, not evening. Part of the reason is in case of light failure, Im not stuck all night somewhere. Besides that, I just prefer early morn hiking to late night.

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2014, 23:08

Same here. I keep the led keychain clipped inside my pack so that it's always in the same place. It's useful when I don't want to dig my headlamp out or when I'm over tired and can't remember where I put down my headlamp.

July
10-27-2014, 23:25
The Thing Is, if you follow the Moon, and Eat Right, all Else Follows.

Second Hand
10-27-2014, 23:36
I'm with muddy waters. I'm not a huge fan of night hiking, but we've all been there. If my headlamp died and I wasn't feeling comfortable, I would find a place to make camp. I use a Hammock which makes spontaneous camping a little easier. Unless I want to sit up and read, I can generally manage without using my headlamp much.

Mags
10-27-2014, 23:37
I carry a Photon II, a p-51 can opener (http://www.pmags.com/light-versatile-and-cheap-the-p38-and-p51-can-openers) and a Swiss Army Knife classic on a key chain. Not only while hiking, but in every day life. Amazing amount of utility in this little mini tool kit. The LED light makes a nice backup for almost no weight penalty.

http://www.pmags.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/p51.jpg

squeezebox
10-28-2014, 00:21
I plan on carrying an extra little 1 oz flashlight , hang it in the tent, as a front porch light when I go out to pee etc, or a nice little light to read by etc.
Well worth the miniscule wt.

Dogtra
10-28-2014, 00:57
No, I don't carry a backup.

shakey_snake
10-28-2014, 01:40
Photon x-light (a keychain light) has become my only light I carry in the woods. I figure I'm not going to nighthike (too many obstacles, too dark) and the photon works fine to get up and pee.

Out west in the desert, I'll actually carry a headlamp. Easier going.

cbr6fs
10-28-2014, 05:09
I'm a convert to18650 torches, I used a H600 for hiking and a H602 for around camp.

The H602 weighs around 40 grams so no real weight penalty.

Starchild
10-28-2014, 05:33
Backup #1 smartphone - screen light (for very short term needs), then the flashlight app
Backup #2 Steripen (Freedom model) has a white LED flashlight
Potential but never tried backup #3, I have a batterypack to recharge the above 2 items that also has a flashlight mode.

jimmyjam
10-28-2014, 06:36
I take one battery out of my headlight when not in use so i don't have the problem the OP did. And i carry one of those tiny led button type lights .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

10-K
10-28-2014, 06:47
No.. I try not to carry too many "Well, I might need this and I might need that." things.

Traveler
10-28-2014, 06:58
Yes, I carry the small keychain LED light as a backup. Having been caught on moonless nights with a balky headlamp it makes a bit of sense for minimal weight.

10-K
10-28-2014, 07:03
Just to add to my comment about not carrying extra stuff - my phone (as do most smart phones) has a built in flashlight. So, carrying yet another would make 3 lights.

From the Department of Redundancy Department....

daddytwosticks
10-28-2014, 07:08
I'm like Mags...Photon keychain light and the smallest swiss army knife together in my pocket everyday. When hiking, this combo (at .9 ounces) acts as a back-up to my normal headlamp. :)

saltysack
10-28-2014, 08:28
I take one battery out of my headlight when not in use so i don't have the problem the OP did. And i carry one of those tiny led button type lights .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I was using it....when it shut off...

Alligator
10-28-2014, 08:37
I carry a small keychain light as backup. I have been caught before with headlamp failures.

A cell phone is a bit like a bandana in that it has multiple uses but you can't always use it for everything the same trip. Depends on the model but I have found the assistive lights to drain the battery. I tested mine and lost 1% of battery in 5 minutes. Wouldn't be using it in the rain either, it's an expensive replacement.

I will mention I just picked up a new 5200 ma/hr charger and it has an LED light as a bonus. Seems like a decent option to get devices on the same battery back up, kind of like having all the devices on AAA batteries. I have a lighter less powerful 2000 ma/hr one to use if I want too (no LED on it though).

wormer
10-28-2014, 08:41
I always carry a couple of back up flashlights. As the days get shorter I sometimes need a light to finish out the last mile or so of a section hike. When my lights aren't being used and are stored in my pack I turn the batteries around so the light won't accidentally come on in the pack.

Lyle
10-28-2014, 08:42
Photon.

Back in the early days of DuraBeam, field serviceable devices I never felt the need for back-up, unless you counted the candles we all carried.

Today with the electronic switches - push once for red, twice for white, press and hold for flashing red, press then press and hold for flashing white, once light is on press and hold to dim, etc. etc. Yeah, today I carry a backup.

colorado_rob
10-28-2014, 08:46
In 45 years of hiking/backpacking, I've never had a light fail, other than simply running out of juice. some years ago, high on a mountain after dark, I did run out of headlamp juice at a critical time; managed to change out the batteries by feel and all was well, but after that started carrying a small backup light. Since I started carrying a phone, however, as has been pointed out, the phone now serves as a backup; simply turn it on and the screen provides plenty of light for temporary use.

bigcranky
10-28-2014, 09:06
Like Mags, I have a little piece of cord with a Photon light, smallest SAK, but with a whistle (no can opener.) It's always in the front pocket of my waist pack, which is either worn (while awake) or right next to me in my tent.

All that said, I've never had a headlamp fail either.

saltysack
10-28-2014, 09:17
Like Mags, I have a little piece of cord with a Photon light, smallest SAK, but with a whistle (no can opener.) It's always in the front pocket of my waist pack, which is either worn (while awake) or right next to me in my tent.

All that said, I've never had a headlamp fail either.

Looks like the lil photon would be good to hang in the tent to eat or read with...red or white light???

RangerZ
10-28-2014, 09:21
I plan on carrying an extra little 1 oz flashlight , hang it in the tent, as a front porch light when I go out to pee etc, or a nice little light to read by etc.
Well worth the miniscule wt.

+1, like on the first night in the woods thread, we'll leave the light on for you.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1604/10000369/1040707

Cheap, $4.08/10, it took a month to get here from Switzerland. Different colors available. I don't have an idea on life yet. I've got one inside the top of the tent, one in the little pocket on my sleeping bag, and now you guys have convinced me to put on on my pack somewhere. Department of Redundency Department?

One night I'll strangle on the dummy cords on everything.

lonehiker
10-28-2014, 11:41
I don't and have never even considered carrying one.

As an aside: Even during the darkest night I've never had an issue walking the 8-10 steps away from my tent, urinating, and turning around and finding my tent......

Dogwood
10-28-2014, 12:04
Carrying a back up light depends on what one intends to do with the back up light. My main backup light should my headlamp fail and I need emergency light is the light of a Mp3 player and a cell ph for emergency light. I'm always carrying a Bic lighter, maybe two, or two ways to start a fire as well. If my headlamp failed as I was night hiking, which I do often, and it was a gnarly dangerous trail/bushwack with no moon light I'd stop hiking ASAP. No, I don't carry two headlamps.

Had one Petzl headlamp malfunction though. It was constantly stuck in stobe mode yet it had no stobe feature?

CarlZ993
10-28-2014, 12:20
This is what I do. Minuscule weight penalty for an extra source of light.

FYI - I met a PCT thru-hiker than used such a light as his source of light for the entire PCT hike. And he did a lot of night hiking. Not something I'd do, but he made it work.

Mags
10-28-2014, 12:38
For me it is not so much a backup, just something I carry daily. Since the whole kit weighs less than an ounce, it is easy enough to take with me. It would take more effort to remove the light. :)

For winter backpacking, the extra light is very handy. I had a client whose light died. Luckily I had the photon. Very hard to cook dinner without light in winter esp since it gets dark so early.

Other clients ski poles were loose. The p-51 tightened the poles...and opened up a can of chilies for the group meal ...and scraped ice out of the bindings.

As I said, a very handy sub-1oz tool kit!

1azarus
10-28-2014, 12:57
Just to add to my comment about not carrying extra stuff - my phone (as do most smart phones) has a built in flashlight. So, carrying yet another would make 3 lights.

From the Department of Redundancy Department....

...i carry an extra battery for my samsung phone, and no other extra light. that would be my nod to redundancy.

QHShowoman
10-28-2014, 13:01
When backpacking, I usually carry a:
headlamp & an extra set of batteries
iPhone (which has a great flashlight function)

If it's an extended trip, my external battery/charger also has a built-in flashlight, should I need it.

Alligator
10-28-2014, 13:21
For those saying never.
Never expended all your batteries?
Never forgotten extra batteries?
Never forgot to change old batteries?
Never blew a bulb?
Did not have bulb backup?
Forgot bulb backup was already blown?
(I know, bulbs are obsolete.)
Light got turned on in pack, no juice?
Forgot to flip batteries, light turned on no juice?
Dead battery cell in spares?
Inferior quality light POS breaks?
Forgotten light at home?
Light fell out of pack in car?
Soaked your light?
Dropped light, broke?

Ever been caught after dark in a spot unsuitable for setting up shelter? Were you low on water? (Cause water is heavy, one cup weighs a bit more than 30 or so Photon II lights.) Or was it raining/foggy/snowing?

I have not ever soaked and broke a light that I recall nor have completely forgotten a light but the other failures to have light have occurred. Increases in battery life and switching to LEDs has improved reliability IMO. You can certainly get by without it, but you may experience a lot of inconvenience over 7 grams.

Miner
10-28-2014, 13:30
On the PCT, I lost 2 flashlights. First one I left at my campsite in SoCal. The second one happened in the High Sierra. It was in my hipbelt pocket that I forgot to zip closed and then bent over into a deep fast moving creek to fill a water bottle and it fell in. Never found it. On the AT, I lost 1 by leaving it in a pit toliet in the early morning and only noticed it the following night. Having some of those Photon Freedom keychain LED lights saved me for very little weight penalty.

Not having a light was not going to work: Just try getting up on a cloudy night to go the toilet without a light is asking to trip on something. Or realizing that something is in your tent (ever have a mouse chew into it during the night? It's happened to several people I know). Or realizing that some large animal is a few feet away from you while cowboy camping and wondering if it's a bear (for me it's turned out to be a deer, racoon and a skunk)?

And as someone who likes to hike long days when doing a long trail, not having the option to finish dinner or setup camp in the dark due to not having a light is not going to work (Either due to the shorter days of spring/fall or not finding a campsite when you wanted and having to hike additional miles).

wornoutboots
10-28-2014, 14:05
No, just spare batteries.

10-K
10-28-2014, 14:10
No, just spare batteries.

What if you lose one?

What if one is dead?

Do you carry spare batteries for your spare batteries? :)

Cedar1974
10-28-2014, 14:29
Lets see, I have my Head lamp, a flashlight I lashed to a carabiner to hang from my pack, a flashlight in my walking stick, my iPhone, a torch lighter and special trail candles I made. So in my opinion I'd say yes, carry a spare. This message from the Redundant Department of Redundancy.

saltysack
10-28-2014, 14:31
Will be buying photon 2 pro.....$10....cheap insurance under an oz....

drifter
10-28-2014, 14:38
Redundant light is one thing I will not go without for the negligible wt. Admittedly I do wear contacts and many times do not pop them out until after dark but for many of the above mentioned possibilities believe it smart to have.

saltysack
10-28-2014, 15:15
Xtra TP and lite is a few oz I'll be glad to carry!!![emoji16]

Another Kevin
10-28-2014, 16:16
I carry spare headlamp batteries. My phone is a supplemental light source (and I carry extra battery power for it). My camera is also a supplemental light source (and I carry a spare battery for it.). No extra light source that isn't doing duty as something else.

atraildreamer
10-28-2014, 16:42

Used to have one of these as a backup to my full-size MagLite while doing security work. A friend suggested the backup light. He said that if you ever have a flashlight bulb burn out at 3 am in the middle of a dark warehouse, :eek: you'll appreciate the backup light.It is amazing how well they work once your eyes adjust to the darkness. :)

(He was wrong about the bulb burning out at 3 am. It happened at 2 am! :rolleyes: )

Feral Bill
10-28-2014, 16:46
I never have, but use fresh batteries + carry extras. Before LEDs I carried a bulb, too. If I was on a deep winter solo, I might carry a tiny spare.

rafe
10-28-2014, 16:50
This discussion is kinda funny, when you consider the amazingly lightweight and efficient portable lighting that we now have, for cheap. Seriously, a Photon light is maybe 0.1 ounce? A typical hiker's LED headlamp is maybe 1 ounce?

Does anyone remember Mag Lights? Now, that was heavy. Even the miniature and sub-miniature versions. There were versions for all standard alkaline batteries, from D down to AAA. I threw mine out a few years ago.

I think I spent maybe $2 or $3 for a LED keychain light at the hardware store checkout counter. I keep it clipped to the outside of my pack. I give it a quick test every now and then just to make sure it's OK.

10-K
10-28-2014, 16:53
Well, it's not about how light something is - it's about carrying things you don't really need. It's more to keep up with, something else to pack, and in the case of extra lights - carrying something you almost certainly won't need (but... "I might need this and I might need that....").

If we were hiking off into the vast wilderness - maybe. But on the AT and other trails we talk about here you're going to be in a town or can have something mailed to you within a few days at the most. So why bother taking stuff you don't need - even if it weighs absolutely 0.00?

Having said all that - HYOH and all. What someone else carries isn't any of my business.

atraildreamer
10-28-2014, 17:09
Does anyone remember Mag Lights? Now, that was heavy. Even the miniature and sub-miniature versions. There were versions for all standard alkaline batteries, from D down to AAA. ...

A bit heavy for hiking, to be sure, but the MagLite is the light of choice by police, security personnel, etc., and for anyone who needs a dependable light source. They are guaranteed for life. I have never had one break on me. I converted my 3-cell, full-size MagLite to LED 3 years ago and haven't needed to change the batteries since then.

Additionally, the full-size MagLite makes a decent club if someone jumps at you in the aforementioned dark warehouse at 3 am! :eek:

Traveler
10-28-2014, 17:20
This discussion is kinda funny, when you consider the amazingly lightweight and efficient portable lighting that we now have, for cheap. Seriously, a Photon light is maybe 0.1 ounce? A typical hiker's LED headlamp is maybe 1 ounce?

Does anyone remember Mag Lights? Now, that was heavy. Even the miniature and sub-miniature versions. There were versions for all standard alkaline batteries, from D down to AAA. I threw mine out a few years ago.

I think I spent maybe $2 or $3 for a LED keychain light at the hardware store checkout counter. I keep it clipped to the outside of my pack. I give it a quick test every now and then just to make sure it's OK.

I remember the days prior to MAG lights, the old dual or triple D cell battery flashlights that you had to keep shaking to get the light bright enough to do anything with. Those damn things were heavy as hell.

saltysack
10-28-2014, 17:35
For me it is not so much a backup, just something I carry daily. Since the whole kit weighs less than an ounce, it is easy enough to take with me. It would take more effort to remove the light. :)

For winter backpacking, the extra light is very handy. I had a client whose light died. Luckily I had the photon. Very hard to cook dinner without light in winter esp since it gets dark so early.

Other clients ski poles were loose. The p-51 tightened the poles...and opened up a can of chilies for the group meal ...and scraped ice out of the bindings.

As I said, a very handy sub-1oz tool kit!

+1 I carry a leatherman squirt ps4 while around 1.9 oz...it's amazining how much I use it....at least several times per day...scissors to trim nails....knife to cut cheese for dinner and pliars to pull out splinter...all in one day...I do clean it before eating with it!![emoji3]...

rocketsocks
10-28-2014, 17:52
Minin mini mag

rocketsocks
10-28-2014, 17:53
Minin mini mag
That's Mini, mini mag...one AA battery.

RangerZ
10-28-2014, 18:23
Xtra TP and lite is a few oz I'll be glad to carry!!![emoji16]

No such thing as "xtra TP", it's all necessary.

saltysack
10-28-2014, 19:56
Some gram weenies will disagree!![emoji1]

July
10-28-2014, 20:05
Lightening bug in an 8oz plastic bottle...:)

saltysack
10-28-2014, 20:08
[emoji100][emoji91]

Theosus
10-28-2014, 21:48

Good idea for outside the pack! I have the cell phone, of course it has a "flashlight" function (just another led light). In my food kit my mini multi tool has a little light on it (I have to use it to take my pot off the fancy feast stove - I stripped it down to just pliers and flashlight). There's matches in my food kit, too, with my stove.

But I like the idea of a little led light on the pack somewhere easy to find in the dark.

Another Kevin
10-29-2014, 08:49
Are you guys talking about some sort of particularly robust keychain LED light? I've wound up not carrying them even on my keychain, because even if I don't use them, they stop working after a few weeks in my pocket. I can't imagine how much faster they'd quit in my backpack!

10-K
10-29-2014, 09:11
Some gram weenies will disagree!![emoji1]

I would never disagree with someone's decision to carry something in their own pack - it's none of my business. I always try to qualify my opinions by adding that disclaimer.

FWIW, you see the same thing in the UL forum. Someone will post a question or comment about hiking fast/far and the 'stop and smell the roses, coffee press and spice rack carrying" crowd will chime in about how that's not the right way to hike .....

In this case you were hiking and a tree turned off your light, leading you to think "Mabye I need to add another light!". My thought was "Why not turn the light back on and keep hiking - no big deal." My comments were just another point of view - I wasn't trying to sound like a know-it-all and apologize if I did.

This forum is full of Type A "My Way or the Highway" types... that's just how it is. It's a wonder the server doesn't spontaneously combust.

saltysack
10-29-2014, 09:27
I would never disagree with someone's decision to carry something in their own pack - it's none of my business. I always try to qualify my opinions by adding that disclaimer.

FWIW, you see the same thing in the UL forum. Someone will post a question or comment about hiking fast/far and the 'stop and smell the roses, coffee press and spice rack carrying" crowd will chime in about how that's not the right way to hike .....

In this case you were hiking and a tree turned off your light, leading you to think "Mabye I need to add another light!". My thought was "Why not turn the light back on and keep hiking - no big deal." My comments were just another point of view - I wasn't trying to sound like a know-it-all and apologize if I did.

This forum is full of Type A "My Way or the Highway" types... that's just how it is. It's a wonder the server doesn't spontaneously combust.

Yep it's comical how some folks are....good laughs though...I'm not a gram weenie just thoughtful about what I carry...I don't own one of those lil scales and weigh everything... I try to buy lightest gear avail within reason...it's funny to me when a very overweight person is worried about a few oz....get off your arse start exercising regularly, eat correctly and you'll get rid of lbs not oz[emoji2] I'm sure if I plan to hike 1,000 + miles I'd change my tune... I'm lucky to do 40-60 sections at a time....

saltysack
10-29-2014, 09:34
Thinks I'll add this for a whopping 7 grams....http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/29/41afa187407983e78afb193e1125c6c9.jpg

rafe
10-29-2014, 09:39
Are you guys talking about some sort of particularly robust keychain LED light? I've wound up not carrying them even on my keychain, because even if I don't use them, they stop working after a few weeks in my pocket. I can't imagine how much faster they'd quit in my backpack!

I've had one of these clipped to my pack for ages. I don't think much about it. I give it a quick test every now and then to make sure it's still working, and it always is... going on several years now.

saltysack
10-29-2014, 09:47
I've had one of these clipped to my pack for ages. I don't think much about it. I give it a quick test every now and then to make sure it's still working, and it always is... going on several years now.

I'm sure there are tons of similar lights as someone posted earlier get 10 for $4.. I'd rather pay $10 get one that will last and is water resistant....work when needed....looks like photon has a lifetime warranty and great reviews...

rafe
10-29-2014, 10:14
OK, this thread has served a purpose: just checked that little light on my pack and it's finally dead. Time to replace it. My scale says it's 0.2 oz.

johnnybgood
10-29-2014, 10:15
I take extra batteries for backup purposes for my headlamp.
Never really had any issues with either my Petzl or BD headlamp outside of needing fresh batteries.

A pinlight on a carabiner for reading a map at dusk maybe.

Lone Wolf
10-29-2014, 10:19

i never owned any type of flashlight for 5 thru-hikes. always used a candle for light after dark to read. never saw the point of walkin' after dark

saltysack
10-29-2014, 10:47
I'm usually limited on my time off work and family....so it's usually late afternoon by the time I get to the trail... I enjoy hiking at night or anytime.....5 thru hikes I wouldn't bother hiking at night!! I'd be asleep[emoji2]maybe one day...

Mags
10-29-2014, 11:18

I can't speak for others, but I've had amazing luck with the Photo II over the years. I do not buy the knock-offs...that may or may not having something do with it? I honestly don't know. :)

i never owned any type of flashlight for 5 thru-hikes. always used a candle for light after dark to read. never saw the point of walkin' after dark

On thru-hikes, I'd often get to camp right at twilight. A little easier to set up camp and prepare dinner with a light. Esp when I did the BMT, and there was less daylight, a light was handy.

Needless to say for winter trips where daylight is a premium, a light is very handy.

bmanice
10-29-2014, 18:42
Waterproof matches and a lighter. no backup flashlight for me.

Sandy of PA
10-29-2014, 19:14
I carry 2 Photon lights, one red and one white, no headlight. I use the red one the most for potty trips, saves your night vision doesn't annoy other hikers if in a shelter.

saltysack
10-29-2014, 19:29
I can't speak for others, but I've had amazing luck with the Photo II over the years. I do not buy the knock-offs...that may or may not having something do with it? I honestly don't know. :)

On thru-hikes, I'd often get to camp right at twilight. A little easier to set up camp and prepare dinner with a light. Esp when I did the BMT, and there was less daylight, a light was handy.

Needless to say for winter trips where daylight is a premium, a light is very handy.

What color you use white or red?

Mags
10-29-2014, 20:50
White. I also have an old orange one that somehow is in my collection (it's my junk drawer now)

rickb
10-29-2014, 21:09
I'm assuming the flashlight app for our IPhones is that it's just a given, right?

In any event, I will always carry a head lamp so that I can find my real light in the dark. These Fenix lights (and similar) as so amazing here is really no reason why one should cower in their tent at the sound of bird or beast rather than jumping up jacking the critter up. Own the night, I say.

cbr6fs
10-30-2014, 16:40
Would like to add a few things to my previous comment.

First off i have to come clean and admit to being a bit of a torch nerd, my collection is pretty basic and cheap compared to some of the custom light fans, but i've pretty much got at least one torch for most likely scenarios.

Next up is the times i've found a torch useful while hiking.
1/ One of the kids took a really nasty turn and was rushed into hospital one night while i was out camping.
It was a off one as i had not had a phone signal all day, yet had one in the exact position i'd pitched my tent.
If i didn't have a good torch/headlamp with me i would probably have waited till the morning before hiking out, as it was i was able to safely hike out and make it to the hospital that night.
Anyone that has kids would know the sort of night it would have been if had no choice but to stay the night.

2/ Several time i have had to re-pitch my tent or hammock during the night.
Fallen trees, ground water rising making the camp spot soaking wet, wind picking up so i needed to move the tent round, there were also times where it was 100% my fault, maybe i was too tired to pitch properly and this caused problems during the night that annoyed me enough to rectify it.

3/ Thunder storm
Have to move down a mountain a few times over the years when a thunder storm rolled in during the night

4/ Kit and bodily maintenance.
Splinter removal, repairing a puncture mat in the night, sorting out kit for the next day, repairing shoes, blister treatment etc etc

5/ Locating kit.
Rats in kit, dogs even read one report of a fox dragging off a rucksack one night.
In my case a good torch with as decent beam was invaluable

6/ Emergency signalling

7/ Camp chores, cleaning pots after your meal, or your mug after your late night hot chocolate, toilet duties, reading, finding your ear plugs after your neighbour starts snoring.

I have a Zebralight H600 i use for night hiking and a H602 as a camp torch and spare.
The H600 has a tighter beam so i prefer that for longer distance stuff like hiking at night, the H602 has a amazing flood type beam so is great for close and camp work.
I have a length of 2mm Dyneema cordage with 2 loops that attaches to the inside of my tent roof, i've then used a small piece of inner tube that my H602 slides into.
This enables me to slide the torch forwards and backwards and tilt it to whatever angle i want, it gives a great spread of light that makes reading or doing anything in the tent very easy.

Talking about and recommending torches is difficult because different people do different activities, some prefer different batteries (both size and chemistry) and want different things from their torches (beams, outputs, tints etc).

Me personally i'm a completely converted to 18650 batteries now.

I have my H600 (129g with 3400mAh battery and head strap) and H602 (43g without battery and no head strap), both 18650 torches.
Plus i also have a battery bank for charging my phone/GPS charger that runs on 4 x 3400mAh 18650's (298g).
So about 470g all in

My battery bank can run on anything from 1 to 4 18650's so if i need more torch power i have the option of removing cells from the battery bank and using those in my torches.

The battery bank gives around 13500mAh, so more than enough for 10 days hiking.
If i use my phone and GPS for datalogging heart rate, GPS etc then i still get over 5 days.
With the H602 on the lower setting that i use around camp i'm getting at least 1 week out of 1 battery.

One good thing is the battery bank also acts as a charger, so i carry a 4-port usb charger (95g) and charge all my batteries at resupply points.

saltysack
10-30-2014, 17:37
Would like to add a few things to my previous comment.

First off i have to come clean and admit to being a bit of a torch nerd, my collection is pretty basic and cheap compared to some of the custom light fans, but i've pretty much got at least one torch for most likely scenarios.

Next up is the times i've found a torch useful while hiking.
1/ One of the kids took a really nasty turn and was rushed into hospital one night while i was out camping.
It was a off one as i had not had a phone signal all day, yet had one in the exact position i'd pitched my tent.
If i didn't have a good torch/headlamp with me i would probably have waited till the morning before hiking out, as it was i was able to safely hike out and make it to the hospital that night.
Anyone that has kids would know the sort of night it would have been if had no choice but to stay the night.

2/ Several time i have had to re-pitch my tent or hammock during the night.
Fallen trees, ground water rising making the camp spot soaking wet, wind picking up so i needed to move the tent round, there were also times where it was 100% my fault, maybe i was too tired to pitch properly and this caused problems during the night that annoyed me enough to rectify it.

3/ Thunder storm
Have to move down a mountain a few times over the years when a thunder storm rolled in during the night

4/ Kit and bodily maintenance.
Splinter removal, repairing a puncture mat in the night, sorting out kit for the next day, repairing shoes, blister treatment etc etc

5/ Locating kit.
Rats in kit, dogs even read one report of a fox dragging off a rucksack one night.
In my case a good torch with as decent beam was invaluable

6/ Emergency signalling

7/ Camp chores, cleaning pots after your meal, or your mug after your late night hot chocolate, toilet duties, reading, finding your ear plugs after your neighbour starts snoring.

I have a Zebralight H600 i use for night hiking and a H602 as a camp torch and spare.
The H600 has a tighter beam so i prefer that for longer distance stuff like hiking at night, the H602 has a amazing flood type beam so is great for close and camp work.
I have a length of 2mm Dyneema cordage with 2 loops that attaches to the inside of my tent roof, i've then used a small piece of inner tube that my H602 slides into.
This enables me to slide the torch forwards and backwards and tilt it to whatever angle i want, it gives a great spread of light that makes reading or doing anything in the tent very easy.

Talking about and recommending torches is difficult because different people do different activities, some prefer different batteries (both size and chemistry) and want different things from their torches (beams, outputs, tints etc).

Me personally i'm a completely converted to 18650 batteries now.

I have my H600 (129g with 3400mAh battery and head strap) and H602 (43g without battery and no head strap), both 18650 torches.
Plus i also have a battery bank for charging my phone/GPS charger that runs on 4 x 3400mAh 18650's (298g).
So about 470g all in

My battery bank can run on anything from 1 to 4 18650's so if i need more torch power i have the option of removing cells from the battery bank and using those in my torches.

The battery bank gives around 13500mAh, so more than enough for 10 days hiking.
If i use my phone and GPS for datalogging heart rate, GPS etc then i still get over 5 days.
With the H602 on the lower setting that i use around camp i'm getting at least 1 week out of 1 battery.

One good thing is the battery bank also acts as a charger, so i carry a 4-port usb charger (95g) and charge all my batteries at resupply points.

Love my zebra light....had a few years think it's the h52...single aa battery last around 7-8 hours on med which is great for night hiking

lemon b
10-31-2014, 08:49
Always, because no doubt someone is going to misplace our lose one. My extra is one of those little ones MD's usually have in their pocket. Light with a very focused beam. One AAA battery. On my 78 hike I also carried a mil spec pinflare gun I picked up in Fayetteville , NC pawnshop , traded it for food about 500 miles in after realising it was just extra weight. Realised the chances of having to signal in a helocoper were zero.

garlic08
10-31-2014, 13:39
I've never carried a spare. Back in the days of incandescent lamps, I would carry an extra bulb and extra batteries (and drill myself changing both with eyes closed and wearing gloves--that skill came in handy at least once that I remember). I never carried an extra light.

LEDs have a 100,000 hour lamp life and my headlamp burns 150 hours on 3 AAAs. Amazing. Now I don't even carry spare batteries--I can buy them in a town if the light starts getting dim, which gives me dozens of lamp-hours of warning.

My old Petzl headlamp has about 10,000 trail miles on it in ten years (the Triple Crown plus a few more). All I've done to it is change the batteries every few years. Now the headband elastic is shot and I'll probably need to buy a new one eventually. Obviously, I just don't use a light very much on my three season hikes. The lamp is basically an emergency thing for me, and one seems to be enough for my style of travel.

rocketsocks
10-31-2014, 18:26
I've never carried a spare. Back in the days of incandescent lamps, I would carry an extra bulb and extra batteries (and drill myself changing both with eyes closed and wearing gloves--that skill came in handy at least once that I remember). I never carried an extra light.

LEDs have a 100,000 hour lamp life and my headlamp burns 150 hours on 3 AAAs. Amazing. Now I don't even carry spare batteries--I can buy them in a town if the light starts getting dim, which gives me dozens of lamp-hours of warning.

My old Petzl headlamp has about 10,000 trail miles on it in ten years (the Triple Crown plus a few more). All I've done to it is change the batteries every few years. Now the headband elastic is shot and I'll probably need to buy a new one eventually. Obviously, I just don't use a light very much on my three season hikes. The lamp is basically an emergency thing for me, and one seems to be enough for my style of travel.

I've done this as well...with other toys we have also, and knots. When your climbing it's good to know the ins and outs of the knots your using, tie them behind your back, and try one handed too...still do for fun.

NY HIKER 50
10-31-2014, 18:49
I always carry a small backup. You would not believe how many times I ended up in the dark. The Maglight was the worst. Here's the fun: You are walking in the dark to camp and all of a sudden THE LIGHT GOES OUT!!!

Now's the time to start with getting the cap off, getting out the bulb and trying to put in two pins into a small hole. OH NO! I dropped the spring!!!!! I have also had LED's go out on me. Then I usually have to stop right where I am for the night in the dark.

YES, I carry a backup.

Here's what usually has the most problems on the trail in my opinion:

1- flashlights
2-flashlights
3-stoves
4-cell phone
5- water filter

handlebar
10-31-2014, 22:26
No need for extra light as cell phone flashlight feature serves. My Princeton Tec headlamp uses 2 AAAs. I had been having trouble with it accidentally getting turned on as I packed it up and thus burning thru batteries. Now I simply reverse the position of the batteries and the circuit is interrupted. I can do this in the dark.

+1 for Mags' toolkit. I sent my tiny can opener ahead in my bounce box and found no foil packs of tuna, etc in a couple of the AZT trail towns. I like the idea of combining it with my mini SAK on the same idiot cord.

rafe
10-31-2014, 23:08
Using a cell phone as a light source just seems wrong, somehow. :rolleyes:

Miner
10-31-2014, 23:17
Maybe it's because I'm an engineer who has worked with various communication devices over the past 15 years and I know many of the things that can go wrong with them. My cell phone is the thing I trust the least in my pack.

Another Kevin
10-31-2014, 23:22
+1 for Mags' toolkit. I sent my tiny can opener ahead in my bounce box and found no foil packs of tuna, etc in a couple of the AZT trail towns. I like the idea of combining it with my mini SAK on the same idiot cord.

That's what I do - Leatherman Squirt PS4, P51 can opener, and idiot cord. I'd call it a safety cord, but it's hard for me to think of myself as a safety.

scrabbler
10-31-2014, 23:33

Not necessarily. Many of the high powered LED lamps just STOP when they reach a certain voltage, there is no such thing as dimming - it's all high powered or nothing. Be sure which kind of LED lamp you have if you want to follow that practice.

squeezebox
11-01-2014, 00:38
What happens if your headlamp falls into water or gets forgotten somewhere etc. stuff happens. My spare flashlight weighs less than 1 oz.
And it's my porchlight to find my tent on the way back from a night time privy break. Some things , like light after dark, are so important that a light weight back up is worth while. I won't carry an extra tent, sleeping bag, etc. but a 1 oz light ? yes.

10-K
11-01-2014, 06:46
What happens if your headlamp falls into water or gets forgotten somewhere etc. stuff happens. My spare flashlight weighs less than 1 oz.
And it's my porchlight to find my tent on the way back from a night time privy break. Some things , like light after dark, are so important that a light weight back up is worth while. I won't carry an extra tent, sleeping bag, etc. but a 1 oz light ? yes.

Backup lights, a second pair of shoes, carrying an extra days worth of food, extra clothes to wear in town - these are all currently being discussed. I'm seeing a trend. :)

If my light fails I'll somehow manage until I get a replacement. (my iphone flashlight would have to fail too).

garlic08
11-01-2014, 08:35

I can't argue with that, with anyone whose hiking style requires light after dark. Mine doesn't. I did lose my headlamp for a week or so on the AT (found it again in the unused hydration pocket on my pack) and it didn't bother me a bit--I was going to continue another week like that until I hiked to an outfitter somewhere.

Like 10K says, somehow we manage. Like when I lost my multitool a decade or so ago and never missed it. Or forgot my spoon on a hike and realized there were disposable chopsticks all around me on the forest floor. Or ran out of toilet paper and now that's not so important to carry any more. Or hiked into town needing to wash all my clothing. Or had to sit around camp wearing the shoes I hiked all day in. Or ran out of food a day early. Worst was losing my tent stakes once, but somehow I managed with trees and rocks for a week or so.

Sure, all those things are good to have, but there are ways to cope without having a spare. I like to think of travelers in the days before flashlights.

Traveler
11-01-2014, 08:37
Backup lights, a second pair of shoes, carrying an extra days worth of food, extra clothes to wear in town - these are all currently being discussed. I'm seeing a trend. :)

If my light fails I'll somehow manage until I get a replacement. (my iphone flashlight would have to fail too).

So the iPhone is your spare..... lol

10-K
11-01-2014, 08:42
So the iPhone is your spare..... lol

Right - I said that about 50 messages ago. :) Carrying yet another would make *2* backup lights.

The general consensus is that a smartphone light isn't worthy enough to be considered a backup light so yet another, 3rd light is needed.

Coffee
11-01-2014, 09:04
My smartphone is also my backup light. While it is true that a smartphone could break, when you look at the probability of both my regular headlamp breaking or running out of batteries (I carry spares) AND my phone breaking during the same unlucky event, the risk seems pretty low. My phone's light is actually bright enough to blind someone and could be used for hiking if needed, plus it doesn't seem to drain the battery more than running other apps.

Matt65
11-01-2014, 15:49
I usually carry my BD Headlamp and a 4Sevens Mini CR123X with a spare CR123.

Mags
11-01-2014, 15:52
Maybe it's because I'm an engineer who has worked with various communication devices over the past 15 years and I know many of the things that can go wrong with them. My cell phone is the thing I trust the least in my pack.

Never trust machinery more complicated than a knife or fork. -RAH

:)

rafe
11-01-2014, 17:09
Not necessarily. Many of the high powered LED lamps just STOP when they reach a certain voltage, there is no such thing as dimming - it's all high powered or nothing. Be sure which kind of LED lamp you have if you want to follow that practice.

Umm, that's not true. Both of my LED headlamps have two brightness settings, plus a blink mode. I'm pretty sure that's done with PWM (pulse width modulation) rather than a resistor. So the low-brightness setting really does save juice. Battery life is just not a consideration. I did a 600 mile section with one set of batteries (four CR-2032 coin cells.)

Miner
11-01-2014, 18:50
Rafe, you misunderstood his poorly written response. It use to be that as the battery started getting low, the light would start to dim from it's rated power output at that setting. Many LED lights today, no longer do so. They stay on at their rated power until they can no longer work, then they stay off. Well my 0.2oz photon keychain lights (weight without the keychain) do still dim as the coin battery dies, but they are pretty primitive compared to most modern flashlights/headlamps such as my Fenix brand flashlights.

10-K
11-01-2014, 18:57
.................... nevermind.. I misunderstood what you wrote Miner. I agree with you.

From the REI website:

Rather than gradually dimming as batteries drain, regulated headlamps offer a steady brightness level throughout the life of the batteries. This is a positive—and deservedly popular—feature.

The downside: When batteries are exhausted, the light of a regulated headlamp can go dark abruptly. This may leave you scrambling to replace batteries in the dark. A dimming light on an unregulated headlamp gives you early warning that batteries are nearing the end of their usefulness.

July
11-01-2014, 19:06
For hiking a simple e-lite and photon are great for me. For higher end flashlights/leds/batteries these guys can answer ALL your questions http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php (sorry for repost)

July
11-01-2014, 23:09
Check it... moon.

saltysack
11-02-2014, 08:34
July
That's what I'm thinking...I have a zebra head light at under 2.9 w battery think I'll add the photon as u and mags....sounds like good set up for me.

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2014, 09:40

As a veteran of electronic school & as a Amateur Radio Operator- its the end of the life of the battery that causes the dimming in LED's and the first indication of replacing or recharging them. SO yes there is dimming! And the lamps can dump you in the dark with some models. Have you really used these lamps in the field?

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2014, 09:41
Check it... moon.
Excellent but its never in the right place when you need it.

lemon b
11-02-2014, 10:31
Whats a smartphone? ( too much fidget factor to have even entered my mind as to buying one) Usually I don't even pack a regular cell phone.

Glacier
11-02-2014, 10:36
I carry a fenix e11 to back up my headlamp. It has come in handy.

rafe
11-02-2014, 13:31
Whats a smartphone? ( too much fidget factor to have even entered my mind as to buying one) Usually I don't even pack a regular cell phone.

It's a phone that doubles as a handy-dandy flashlight. Doncha know? :rolleyes:

10-K
11-02-2014, 13:33
It's a phone that doubles as a handy-dandy flashlight. Doncha know? :rolleyes:

..and camera, and GPS, and PDF scanned guidebook carrier, and note taker, and internet connection, and more!

:)

Nooga
11-02-2014, 17:27
I carry a small single LED bulb light as backup, if I need to change batteries.

July
11-02-2014, 17:37
Excellent but its never in the right place when you need it.

Ain't that the truth, then there have been the instances when laying there in the bag it's been so bright in my face it was hard to go to sleep. So I just howled a little... :D

RCBear
11-06-2014, 14:08
with the weight of a keychain type light, and the very good lumens of today's LEDs, i just don't understand why someone wouldn't. Regardless of whether one hikes at night or not. things happen. to not have a simple enough tool that weighs nothing is a bit irresponsible in my opinion. but then again, i carry a massive 3 oz pocket knife as well, so what do i know :)

rikkitikkitavi
11-06-2014, 15:09
I use my iphone. I also pack an ipad (because i am nuts) and use that for light at times. Redundancy is always a good idea.

saltysack
11-06-2014, 15:27
I use my iphone. I also pack an ipad (because i am nuts) and use that for light at times. Redundancy is always a good idea.

Yep.....if you don't have to carry it! Less is better!!![emoji2]

gollwoods
11-09-2014, 07:15
had a nice tool logic knife with a small led light built in, good spare light.

Jake27
11-09-2014, 22:19
I just use my cell phone light.

Bronk
11-10-2014, 16:50
I got a 10 pack of these last fall at Walmart and stuck them everywhere, in the glove box, junk drawer, under the counter and just pretty much everywhere I could think of...I end up using one of them about every week for something...and yes, I put one in my pack with my backup Bic lighter...they don't weigh much.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-4245-Ozark-Trail-6-LED-Aluminum-Flashlight-10-Pack/38763652

Five Tango
11-10-2014, 19:13
Foursevens.com has all kinds of flash lights.Mine has two AA batteries and puts out 205 lumens.That is almost a spotlight!It is programmable to lower settings that run the light for many hours.Mine is in my pocket day and night around home.I don't even know who makes the other little light I like which attaches to a cap visor and uses the coin size 2016 battery but it is Much More of a light than the keychain sqeeze lights that were designed to find a keyhole.Just sayin'.I like the fact that the cap light can hook on to a ridgeline and blink until you get back in the tent or hammock;thereby serving as a beacon while you are indisposed.

Del Q
11-10-2014, 19:52
I stopped bringing doubles of anything - besides socks and things like that.

Took discipline to get under 30 lbs, what NOT to bring.

As a section hiker I just roll the dice on gear failure.

saltysack
11-10-2014, 21:49
I stopped bringing doubles of anything - besides socks and things like that.

Took discipline to get under 30 lbs, what NOT to bring.

As a section hiker I just roll the dice on gear failure.

The reason why I buy good quality gear!!

swjohnsey
11-10-2014, 22:53
I might consider a back-up on an essential piece of equipment. A light is only essential for caving.

fiddlehead
11-11-2014, 00:34
First time I hiked, I carried 2 or 3 flashlights.
Last few times, a small LED keychain light that weights 1/5 of an oz, was all I carried.

But that's pretty bright compared to a guy I hiked with in '95 (forget his name now), who only carried a bic lighter and would just flick the flint wheel without pushing the gas lever down for his light to go pee at night or when he needed a light.

I hiked with people who had no tent, no sleeping pad, no pack (well a home-made one out of a gymbag) , no knife, and no flashlight.

But, I never hiked with anyone who didn't carry a spoon.

July
11-11-2014, 00:47
First time I hiked, I carried 2 or 3 flashlights.
Last few times, a small LED keychain light that weights 1/5 of an oz, was all I carried.

But that's pretty bright compared to a guy I hiked with in '95 (forget his name now), who only carried a bic lighter and would just flick the flint wheel without pushing the gas lever down for his light to go pee at night or when he needed a light.

I hiked with people who had no tent, no sleeping pad, no pack (well a home-made one out of a gymbag) , no knife, and no flashlight.

But, I never hiked with anyone who didn't carry a spoon.

That's pretty dang true.

Miner
11-11-2014, 14:15
Another reason to have a backup light isn't always for you. Last year I was doing a section hike of the southern part of PCT. Given the heat that some of the desert stretches have, night hiking is common. When I know that I'll be doing night hiking, I carry an extra light that is a bit more then just a photon key chain light such as a Fenix LD01 (1xAAA) light. While descending to the San Gorgonio Pass by the I-10, which has always been the hotest part of the PCT for me, I ran into a thru-hiker who had lost their light. We were still a few days from the next town and most hikers were planning on getting up early in the dark to beat the heat. The fact that I had an extra light to give her really helped her out. The fact that she was very pretty probably influenced my willingness to part with it.

atraildreamer
11-11-2014, 18:55
Using a cell phone as a light source just seems wrong, somehow. :rolleyes:

Not to get everyone in a down funk, but I think the cell phone industry incorporated flashlight options into their products as a result of the 9-11 attacks. I remember reading accounts of how people made their way through the chaos in the towers using the light from the displays of cellphones and pocket pagers to see through the smoke.

Remember the prepper philosophy: "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!"

-----------------

I just bought my wife a light to use with her power scooter chair. I purchased a separate bicycle mount for the light.:

http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable-Focus-Light/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415745954&sr=8-2&keywords=ultrafire+flashlight

It uses 1 AA battery and the adjustable-focus beam is so bright :sun that you could probably see it from space! Here is a shot of the light. I couldn't take the picture straight-on. it overwhelmed the cell phone camera optics. It weighs 86 grams, (3.03 ounces), with the battery installed, and is waterproof. Probably too heavy for the gram-weenies to consider, but I was so impressed by its performance that I ordered 2 more lights. One will be in my pack when I hike. :)

Kevin108
11-15-2014, 00:55
A nice, bright LED in my pack and a single AAA Maglite in my pocket.

fastfoxengineering
11-17-2014, 01:02
All though I did carry a backup light on my LT End to End this year, I probably won't bring it on the AT. I've carried a streamlight nano on my key chain for years and decided to bring it along my hike tied to a swiss army classic knife with a piece of paracord. Didn't use it once. My batteries did die on my headlamp but that's why I ALWAYS have a fresh set of replacements in my pack. Now if my headlamp implodes then hmm let me think... looks like i'm not doing any night hiking and first thing ill grab is my bic lighter to navigate any camp tasks at night. Second to that, I'll use the flashlight app on my smartphone. Those two options should get me to a trail town where I can pick up some kind of torch until I can buy another proper headlamp at an outfitter.

For hiking, I say no, an independent backup flashlight is not needed. Besides, after a few weeks in a row, you develop superb night vision ;)