PDA

View Full Version : The Osprey Exos 58... Older style

bayoutrail
10-27-2014, 23:05
I am potentially purchasing this pack from a fellow hiker. I've looked at a great deal of data... I wanted to hear from any of you who have any info to offer outside of all the sales pitches and "first look" reviews I've watched/read. As the title says, this is the older design, not the 2014 redesign. Thanks in advance.

meat803
10-28-2014, 01:24
I have that pack in medium and love it. No complaints here. It is light, cheap, rugged enough, and functional. Go for it if the price is right.

bayoutrail
10-28-2014, 02:11
I have that pack in medium and love it. No complaints here. It is light, cheap, rugged enough, and functional. Go for it if the price is right.
Great! Thanks!

SteelCut
10-28-2014, 06:01
I have this pack. I love the mesh back and it is a light pack. Unfortunately, however, the waist belt is horrible. It slips under load and it's the most uncomfortable waist belt that I've used on a modern pack. While hiking I would have to constantly re-adjust the waist belt, shoulder straps, and load lifters. They all slip quite a bit during the day. There is a reason why this pack was re-designed for 2014. Unless you are only going to carry extremely light loads, or only going to use it for short trips, or are really short on cash and getting a great deal, you might consider another pack or at least getting the 2014 version of this. YMMV however.

daddytwosticks
10-28-2014, 07:16
I have this pack. I love the mesh back and it is a light pack. Unfortunately, however, the waist belt is horrible. It slips under load and it's the most uncomfortable waist belt that I've used on a modern pack. While hiking I would have to constantly re-adjust the waist belt, shoulder straps, and load lifters. They all slip quite a bit during the day. There is a reason why this pack was re-designed for 2014. Unless you are only going to carry extremely light loads, or only going to use it for short trips, or are really short on cash and getting a great deal, you might consider another pack or at least getting the 2014 version of this. YMMV however.

I have a newer model Exos 48. The waist belt and shoulder straps are much improved. The most comfortable pack I have owned. :)

colorado_rob
10-28-2014, 08:14
I'd recommend a pass on the older model; I used one for years, then "discovered" ULA packs, lighter and more comfortable; my OHM 2.0 has totally replaced my Exos. The basic problem with the older Exos pack is the pathetically inadequate waist belt. I haven't tried the newer model to comment on if they have fixed this flaw.

Ground Control
10-28-2014, 08:18
I have that pack in medium and love it. No complaints here.

Same here; I'd venture to say it's my favorite piece of equipment.

No problems with the hip-belt for me either. I do recall, however, that the Medium fit me better than the Large, in spite of the fact that I am a Large. Apparently this is a common sizing tip for this pack: size down!

CalebJ
10-28-2014, 08:26
I have the smaller Exos 34 and never had any issues with the hip belt slipping. It's my go to pack when the load is a bit more than the frameless Zpacks Zero handles comfortably.

soilman
10-28-2014, 09:45
I used the Exos 58 in 2010 from GA to Hanover. The mesh in the back started ripping about 1 month into the hike. It got so bad that the frame was rubbing on my hip. The problem I had with the hipbelt was that there was not enough adjustment for a thinner person. When I started losing weight I had problems getting the belt tight enough because there was no where to go. I exchanged it for a Atmos in Hanover. I now use a ULA Circuit. I liked the Exos, but it just was not that durable. I like the Exos better than the Circuit when it comes to pockets. With the Exos I was able to find things faster.

bayoutrail
10-28-2014, 11:12
This is great stuff everyone! Thanks for the input! Good things to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericmcdaniel
10-29-2014, 12:24
One thing to consider is where you fall in the hip belt sizing. ULA will allow you to customize your pack with one size hip belt and a different sized pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OwenM
10-29-2014, 14:43
Just sold mine, along with my Exos 46 that got the majority of my use. Wonderful packs, and they've always seemed like they were custom made for me, but I lost weight, and the hipbelt suddenly wasn't holding any more. Was having to tighten it every 15 minutes or so on a recent trip, which got really old. The newer Exos has a different design, and the belt on the 38L that I bought to try this summer works great, so I'm going to try the new 58 for my big pack.

bayoutrail
10-29-2014, 14:44
One thing to consider is where you fall in the hip belt sizing. ULA will allow you to customize your pack with one size hip belt and a different sized pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gotta admit, I also have an Aether 70... And I love that I have a customizable hip belt in that series..... Of course the Aether is faaaaaaaaaar from UL haha... Wish osprey would implement that into their smaller bags

Nooga
10-29-2014, 16:04
I love the Exos 58. I used the older style for about 1200 miles and had an issue where the waist belt rubbed the frame. Sent it back to Osprey and they provided a new pack in less than a week. Keep in mind that even if you are not the original purchaser, the Osprey warranty is still valid. BTW, I went from an ULA Catalyst to the Exos and much prefer the Osprey.

bayoutrail
10-30-2014, 02:34
I love the Exos 58. I used the older style for about 1200 miles and had an issue where the waist belt rubbed the frame. Sent it back to Osprey and they provided a new pack in less than a week. Keep in mind that even if you are not the original purchaser, the Osprey warranty is still valid. BTW, I went from an ULA Catalyst to the Exos and much prefer the Osprey.

When you say it rubbed the frame, did it wear any materials out or cause any discomfort to your waist?

daddytwosticks
10-30-2014, 07:12
I've always had good luck with Osprey products. Had an ancient Aether 60, an Atmos 50, and now a newer model Exos 48. I also own a ULA Conduit (2008) which is also an excellent lightweight pack, but I hardly ever use it now with my new Exos. Probably need to sell the old ULA...:)

Nooga
10-30-2014, 10:18
When you say it rubbed the frame, did it wear any materials out or cause any discomfort to your waist?

The waist belt rubbed the mesh on the back of the pack, where the frame wraps the waist and holes appeared in the mesh. IMO, Osprey should have considered this and added some wear material in that area. For me, there was no discomfort. The replacement process was very straight forward. I called Osprey and they provided me with a return authorization number. I shipped them the pack. They contacted me with color choice and shipped me a new pack.

bayoutrail
10-30-2014, 10:26
The waist belt rubbed the mesh on the back of the pack, where the frame wraps the waist and holes appeared in the mesh. IMO, Osprey should have considered this and added some wear material in that area. For me, there was no discomfort. The replacement process was very straight forward. I called Osprey and they provided me with a return authorization number. I shipped them the pack. They contacted me with color choice and shipped me a new pack.
Awesome. That's what I wanted to know. I do love Osprey Packs. Their guarantee is just another great reason.

colorado_rob
10-30-2014, 10:44
Though my current hands-down favorite is the ULA line, I have nothing but great things to say about Osprey as a company; my wife's Osprey (Talon) was ripped to shreds by a bear one night on the JMT (our fault, had Gatorade powder in the pack)... we managed to strap everything together and finish the hike, and when we returned we recalled Osprey's Iron-clad-no-fault guarantee, so we figured what the hay and we contacted them... long story short Osprey mailed us a brand new Talon-44, free of any charge.

Kuddo's Osprey! (plus, of course, Osprey is a Colorado company....)

bayoutrail
10-30-2014, 12:57
Though my current hands-down favorite is the ULA line, I have nothing but great things to say about Osprey as a company; my wife's Osprey (Talon) was ripped to shreds by a bear one night on the JMT (our fault, had Gatorade powder in the pack)... we managed to strap everything together and finish the hike, and when we returned we recalled Osprey's Iron-clad-no-fault guarantee, so we figured what the hay and we contacted them... long story short Osprey mailed us a brand new Talon-44, free of any charge.

Kuddo's Osprey! (plus, of course, Osprey is a Colorado company....)
Wow! Glad you guys made it out of that incident safely!
Yes, Colorado... Someday, I will be able to get over there and explore it's majesty!