PDA

View Full Version : Help in staying warm while hiking and in camp

Just_Jill
10-28-2014, 09:32
Help! I can't get warm!:eek:... Mostly while in camp but sometimes while hiking.... I need some tips/tricks and gear ideas (without bringing my entire closet) from other "always cold" ladies.

Traffic Jam
10-28-2014, 10:05
I have issues too with staying warm but it's always after hiking, not during.

While hiking, you have to be diligent about monitoring your body temp and don't overheat and sweat. I often have to stop to add or remove layers. What works best for me is to hike in my merino base layers with arm warmers, a buff around my neck, and light running gloves. When I stop to eat or rest, I add my coat and a pair of warm mittens.

Eating is essential to maintaining warmth. If you are cold, eat something, even if you don't want to. Keep snacks handy to munch on during the night.

When you get to camp, change all of your clothes, including bra, underwear, and socks. This winter, I'm going to add a pair of fleece pajama bottoms over my cold weather cycling pants and see if that makes a difference.

I sleep cold and will shiver most of the night, even when it's in the 40's, so I just bought a 15* down bag. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the one.

One Half
10-28-2014, 10:33
add layers to your core. I have a silk base layer, then a long sleeve wicking shirt followed by a short sleeve one, then a fleece vest, quolofill jacket, and a rain jacket for more wind protection. lower level - silk base, hiking pants, goretex lined pants (for cooler weather) and/or rain pants. This is good for me in the white mountains most of the year. I don't were all this while hiking but in camp.

Gambit McCrae
10-28-2014, 10:42
Saw this in the "Todays Post", I would say that my method if not monitored could be self destructive BUT, it works for me HYOH.

Even in the cold of winter I wear my PFG(Columbia) zip off shorts, a dryfit tshirt. If I get cold, I put on my rainjacket. The goretext keeps my heat in and I personally do not sweat alot. If I do sweat, its just my rain jacket, so once at camp I can take off my walking shirt, put on my camp shirt and my down jacket, down hat and running gloves, and I am good to go again.

1azarus
10-28-2014, 10:44
this idea is from glenn at gossamer gear. he suggests you get a really oversized rain jacket and wear your sleeping bag under it -- with the hood over your head and the bag wrapped around you. not a fashion statement, but sure does make use of all that down, and avoids the need to carry a big puffy jacket. i have done this for years, to the great entertainment of those that see me. just make sure the jacket is quite large. the added advantage is that the larger jacket is less like a sauna when you need to wear it without the sleeping bag stuffing... i suggest you try this at home or at a store first! there is some skill in the wrapping...

One Half
10-28-2014, 11:13
fyi my jacket is very small and lightweight. not bulky. i got it at an end of season sale most likely at REI. i don't have it with me right now so i can't check the brand but its very warm

RED-DOG
10-28-2014, 11:34
The type of foods you eat has a lot to do with it. the food helps the body generate heat, if you getting cold in camp and it's not necessarily cold weather I would suggest you change your diet.

Dogwood
10-28-2014, 11:49
I find it's better to be a bit cool when hiking rather than be a bit too warm which leads to sweating which when stopped make me feel very cool fast.

My main targets in staying warm are my core(the torso area, where many vital organs are) and extremities(feet, face, head, and hands). For keeping my core warm nothing beats the versatility and focused warmth in that area as a vest. I hike and typically sleep in an appropriate featured vest. I almost always carry light gloves, merino beanie(again some are warmer than others so research the weather pre-hike for your hike), and warm socks.

Dogwood
10-28-2014, 11:51
Throuout the hiking day and into camp I'm adjusting all the velco, snaps, zips, flaps, etc on my apparel as well as adding/subtracting apparel as I need to manage that core and extremity warmth.

swisscross
10-28-2014, 11:54
Keeping my extremities warm typically keeps me warm while exercising.
A good pair of gloves and toque usually does the trick. Try bison wool.
Pick up a buff, I really like my wool buff.

Starchild
10-28-2014, 12:10
Good suggestions with clothes, stay comfortably cool, not warm, will limit sweating and help keep you warmer in the long run, or in the long hike - in camp this is different but you don't want to be damp.

Camp under tree cover, not in a low valley (cold trap), but chose your camp site so you will be heading uphill first thing in the AM to help you warm up faster, find a hiking partner to spoon with.

CarlZ993
10-28-2014, 12:16
I try to hike 'cool' even in cold weather. This minimizes sweat. Here's what I wore hiking in high-teens start of my AT hike: long hiking pants (running shorts as underwear underneath), short-sleeve undershirt, long-sleeve hiking shirt, 100 wt fleece vest, ~3 oz wind jacket, med wt liner gloves, Buff head gear, & hiking hat. When I rested, I put on my rain jacket to keep the heat in. I ate & drank at every rest stop. I didn't stop very long & continued hiking until I got to my planned stop.

Once stopped, I make sure my shelter & water resupply situations are completed. Then, I determine whether or not I need to get out of my hiking clothes. Worse case scenario, I change into some dry clothes, eat something w/ a high level of fat content (e.g. Snickers Bar), drink something, & climb in my sleeping bag. I was taught to 'feed the furnace' when you're cold. This generates heat from the inside.

Good luck in dialing in your cold-weather hiking/backpacking techniques.

illabelle
10-28-2014, 12:31
Just Jill, I can't help but introduce you to Just Bill: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/49133-Just-Bill
Interesting guy, a bit wordy, and sometimes engages in cyber scuffles. :)

To your question, like others I'm not usually cold while hiking, but I do shiver for a while at night.
The clothes I wear while hiking in cold weather are intended to minimize sweating. To keep from being cold, I have to keep moving. So if I get winded, I just walk slower but don't stop. Adding/subtracting gloves and hat are a good way to extend the comfortable temperature range. I also sometimes wear my fleece vest backwards so it protects my torso in a cold wind.
At night, I definitely put on all dry clothes. No sweaty undies, bra, or socks. My bag is supposedly rated to 15*, but I swear it can't be right. I often bring my fleece vest and my down jacket inside the bag with me. I zip up the vest and slip it over my lower legs, and I use the jacket like an extra blanket. If that's not enough, I'll scoot over closer to my husband and that usually does the trick.

wornoutboots
10-28-2014, 14:04
Sorry, I'm not a cold lady BUT..... Fleece Pants & Down booties, MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Just_Jill
10-28-2014, 14:25
Thanks everyone! These are some great suggestions....I now need to get my layering correct (with your suggestions ) and give it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Teacher & Snacktime
10-28-2014, 19:42
Eating is essential to maintaining warmth. If you are cold, eat something, even if you don't want to. Keep snacks handy to munch on during the night.

My personal favorite and something that works amazingly well: Tootsie Rolls. Snacktime and I always make sure we carry the giant twin packs for each night in the tent. If it's particularly cold I'll include some PB in the snack. Dipped, of course. Delicious, decadent, and defrosting.....what more could you want?

rafe
10-28-2014, 20:16
Have a "never wet" base layer that's always dry and clean, never worn while hiking, and only worn at camp and/or while sleeping. In summer, silk is probably enough. Also: lightweight hat and gloves are a must, particularly for cool nights at camp.

illabelle
10-28-2014, 21:08
Sorry, I'm not a cold lady BUT..... Fleece Pants & Down booties, MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Aaah yes! I forgot about the down booties. :) Husband bought them for me. Not very often that it's cold enough to need them, but when I do, oh my, they are warm! My feet are the last things to warm up ordinarily, but with those booties, they're toasty.

One Half
10-29-2014, 01:26
eat something fatty before going to bed - nuts are good.

HeartFire
10-29-2014, 05:27
a down vest, hat and gloves

misprof
10-31-2014, 17:34
I don't normally get chilled while hiking but at camp and especially at night. The suggestions about changing your clothes is great. I pull by vest in my bag with me to keep my thighs warm. I also do some quick excercises right before climbing in, not enough to sweat but enough to get the blood moving. Also tents,tarps are way warmer than an empty shelter.

Another Kevin
10-31-2014, 18:23
this idea is from glenn at gossamer gear. he suggests you get a really oversized rain jacket and wear your sleeping bag under it -- with the hood over your head and the bag wrapped around you. not a fashion statement, but sure does make use of all that down, and avoids the need to carry a big puffy jacket. i have done this for years, to the great entertainment of those that see me. just make sure the jacket is quite large. the added advantage is that the larger jacket is less like a sauna when you need to wear it without the sleeping bag stuffing... i suggest you try this at home or at a store first! there is some skill in the wrapping...

You also wear JRB sleeves with your bag, right? I seem to recall seeing you dressed like that in Harriman. (Wow, it got chilly that night, by downstate standards. I almost thought I was back up here.)

Demeter
11-09-2014, 07:38
Great suggestions so far! I am a cold sleeper and have circulatory issues, so definitely something I deal with on a regular basis.

My #1 (in addition to warm, dry clothes) is a hot water bottle. You need a Nalgene so it won't melt (don't ask me how I know, lol). This will keep you toasty warm for most of the night. When you are thirsty in the middle of the night, you will have nice warm water to drink!

Furlough
11-09-2014, 09:02
Great suggestions so far! I am a cold sleeper and have circulatory issues, so definitely something I deal with on a regular basis.

My #1 (in addition to warm, dry clothes) is a hot water bottle. You need a Nalgene so it won't melt (don't ask me how I know, lol). This will keep you toasty warm for most of the night. When you are thirsty in the middle of the night, you will have nice warm water to drink!

I have heard this before. How do you use the hot water bottle? Is it essentially a foot warmer?

Demeter
11-09-2014, 09:30
I have heard this before. How do you use the hot water bottle? Is it essentially a foot warmer?
Fill the bottle with hot water at bedtime. You can even put it in your bag before you get in so it'll be nice and toasty! I put it at my feet, but have also slept with two water bottles (the video I did of Seneca Creek was -5*f).

Last week, my daughter tucked hers into her pants and stayed that way all night :-)

Just Bill
11-10-2014, 15:54
Help! I can't get warm!:eek:... Mostly while in camp but sometimes while hiking.... I need some tips/tricks and gear ideas (without bringing my entire closet) from other "always cold" ladies.

Howdy Jill! Illabelle- do we have to climb a hill now?

Well- without knowing your body type exactly- I'll generalize a bit-
Women in general have less mass period, but especially outside their core. But there's lot's a blood flying around out there and nothing to hold the heat in, so unlike fella's who can pile on torso insulation, gals generally have to go with a whole body approach. (which also works well for weight saving speedy fellas actually). Gents are more like a fireplace- one source to warm the house. Gals are much more like a radiant water system- turn up the boiler all you want- it takes along time to bring all the pipes up to temp.

My first layer is undies, skirt, and merino top.
The top is typically long sleeve in all but summer- long sleeves can get pulled up and down as temps change- short sleeves never grow.
The very next thing that goes on is a hat, then a windshell.
Hats are easy to add or remove as trail conditions change- weigh nothing- and you need one in camp anyway. For hikers in general who get blood pooling in hands while moving- a light pair of gloves is another no weight or bulk addition. Same with proper socks. Keep in mind- PERCEPTION of warmth is often just as valuable as actual warmth; if your hands, ears, toes or nose is cold- well you feel cold. :)

Windshells cut, well, wind- which is a huge source of heat loss through many mechanisms (Convection, radiation, evaporation). They also create a microclimate of humid air that keeps you a hair warmer than simply wearing a second shirt. They weigh little, are easy to put on off even while walking, and with light DWR will shed a 1/2 hour of rain. I strongly agree with the oversized shell trick- so much so that I size my quilt specifically to wear it. I own a L for summer and XL for three season temps.

For the whole body approach- scale up from there-
Find your "base" temp in your base layers that you like.
That likely involves a Merino 1 or Cap 2 layer on your top, and may even require a light pair of tights/long undies.
So when it's a bit cooler- slide your base up a "weight" of material, Merino 2 or Cap 3.
Use multiple light layers, rather than one monster piece. But ensure layers don't bind, size up if needed in outer layers.

The exception- the camp puffy. Average temp swing in hiker hours is 20*, add to this an average 10* bump while moving and you need to pile 30* on pretty quick.- roughly a heavy fleece, or regular (not UL) down layer. Get one with a hood and hand warmer pockets- Perception of warmth! Something about "bundling up" in a hoodie and stuffing hands in pockets is a psychological bonus no amount of UL mathematics can disprove. My wife will slip on a cheap hooded cotton sweatshirt before taking the $300 top of the line Patagonia jacket I hand her every time.

THE RACE AGAINST HYPOTHERMIA-
Lazarus coins this term for the tendency of most of us to wear the bare minimum to sustain life while moving and then "recover" at camp. This is very tricky for women to pull off. Without that big central fireplace to fire up at camp, women are much slower to rewarm if chilled during the day. You see a fella like me wearing a skirt and short sleeves into the 30's because my furnace is running too hot while I hike and I need to vent. Women with warmth issues need to keep to the full body coverage strategy. Even a sport bra in a windshell is a better choice than t shirt if you're on the fence. Keep hats, gloves, scarves etc. in use even when just wearing a light base layer before piling on your camp jacket.

Eat regularly and if you take a break, keep that camp jacket handy as you will bottom out and take a long time to recover. I highly recommend a jetboil or other easy stove to fire up often and add hot drinks to your mix. A canister of fuel is much lighter than a spare shirt, and when your body falls behind only hot liquid or food will raise the temp on your boiler- piling insulation on an ice cube only makes it stay frozen longer.

Women need to keep the water in the pipes constant all day, even with the turn up the thermostat approach of climbing in your bag won't help. Metabolism drops rapidly just by laying down to sleep, even more when you fall asleep. Much more so than men, falling asleep chilly and having your boiler reduce down to simmer means you won't every really warm up much. The warming process, if it has fallen behind, should start right away when you hit camp with a hot drink and food. While that water is boiling- get that bag spread out so it lofts to it's max potential before you crawl in.

Eating a handful of nuts (get your mind out of the gutter) along with a small cup of tea is a big help, so is making sure you are well hydrated. In truly cold weather, pack along some butter, add a pat to your evening tea.

BIG MEALS- That monster meal we hikers like to eat pulls a lot of blood and warmth away to digest. If you find eating that big meal leaves you chilly afterwards consider spreading meals out, not an expert on it, but I believe women tend to be more affected by this phenomenon by a large margin.

The water bottle trick-
Perception of warmth- add one to your sleeping bag footbox for that warm toasty feeling.
Actual warmth- put the bottle (bladder more comfy if you trust it) in between your thighs right on the ol' lovebox. You have a hot water heating system and the main pipes (arteries) run along your inner thighs- putting the bottle there means you are not only warming all the pipes flowing out and in, but also putting some extra warmth in your core and preventing that bottle from cooling off in a few minutes sitting out by your footbox.

A second bottle works well near the heart if you are so inclined- or in the case of a bladder- across your chest under your chesticles.

When its really chilly- use a pee bottle- keep the pee in your bag until you need to produce a fresh batch. No sense dumping 98* water out the door when it does a fine job freshening up that now chilly hot water bottle.

Dogwood
11-10-2014, 16:26
You can't make this stuff up. Just Bill helping out Just Jill. :)

Dogwood
11-10-2014, 16:35
Get a Little Hottie Just Jill. Or, maybe a couple of Hotties. :D

Throw a Little Hottie hand warmer in each jacket/vest pocket you sleep in.

http://www.levelninesports.com/Little-Hotties-Hand-Warmer?gclid=CM73_JLx8MECFQUR7AodUi8AMw

Adhere a toe Hottie under each sock.

Dogwood
11-10-2014, 16:57
When cold in my sleeping bag/quilt I'll sleep in dry rain pants and rain jacket(put the hood up and cinch it down). Kinda what Lazarus talked about that Glenn Van Peski suggested but not wearing the rain jacket outside around your sleeping bag. That system seems like it would suck if you have to get up during the night. Straight jacket anyone? :)

I see many a hiker complaining they are sweating in their apparel yet not taking full advantage of all their venting options. The reverse of that I see some complaining how cold they are yet not taking full advantage of all their available gear to stay warm and/or not fully buttoning/zipping up, velcroing, cinching down hem/hood draw strings, etc to minimize drafts and trap body heat. Be creative. Think outside of the box. Apparel isn't the only way to get warm. Other pieces in your kit can add to warmth. Pieces don't have to be rigidly defined as insulation to add warmth. Stick your feet into your empty backpack for example. Place maps, shoes(pillow), spruce boughs, sleep on a bed of thick pine needles, etc, anything that can add warmth under you. Get out of the wind. Sleep behind and next to a large boulder; they can act as heat sinks during the day if it's sunny and release the heat during the night. Lighting small warming fires next to such objects as a large boulder/rock wall/even a fabric curtain/SOL reflective bivy reflects heat so take advantage of that. Don't sleep in larger depressions/valleys though as they are spots where the cold air tends to settle. Be aware of this if you have a choice of camps. Sleeping next to streams/lakes that are often in canyons/depressions can typically be colder.

illabelle
11-10-2014, 17:17
Howdy Jill! Illabelle- do we have to climb a hill now?

No JustBill, that was Jack and Jill, not JustBill and JustJill. LOL

Just Bill
11-10-2014, 17:20
No JustBill, that was Jack and Jill, not JustBill and JustJill. LOL

Well I assumed that me being a JACKass was enough to make it work. :p

1azarus
11-10-2014, 17:31
You also wear JRB sleeves with your bag, right? I seem to recall seeing you dressed like that in Harriman. (Wow, it got chilly that night, by downstate standards. I almost thought I was back up here.)

oh my. it has been so long since real cold weather i forgot about those down sleeves that JRB makes for their wearable quilts. i use them on my legs or arms based upon some system i can't remember. have used them for years.

Bati
11-11-2014, 10:28
Just Bill had some good advice. What works for me is to change my clothes when I make camp and break camp, to get rid of the sweat. Yes, it' on polypro and capilene; the only things I didn't change were my balaclava and glove liners, as I didn't have spares (I did use overmits).
In addition, I would eat dinner in the middle of the day, and change to a dry shirt to stay warm during the water filtering and meal. Taking breaks helps me stay warm hiking, and it's hard to do when the weather is miserable. I have to remind myself to take more frequent, shorter breaks and be sure to stay hydrated and keep eating while hiking. I tend to warm up again quickly when I resume hiking after short breaks.
Supper could be a quick no-cook meal, with perhaps a cup of mint tea or another hot meal such as ramen. I tried to filter water on a hiking break, so I would warm up again. I rarely melted snow, as the amount of fuel required for this or for making a hot water bottle is incredible.
When I was having problems waking up cold in the middle of the night I hit on the idea of adding olive oil to supper. Fat right before bed helped me stay warm, but it takes horrible straight. Pemiccan (with doe fat, not just fruits and nuts) would be a more palatable choice if you're not cooking supper.
Make sure you eat enough and that it has a reasonable glycemic index (not all sugar!).
In cold weather though you do strike a balance between clothing weight, food weight, and fuel weight; for a while you can burn body fat, but that will disappear and muscle loss will set in. So plan on carrying more weight if you're backpacking in cold weather; with all the lighter gear available today, you should be able to handle some extra to stay warm.

Bati
11-11-2014, 10:34
I forgot to mention: try to spend as little amount of non-sleeping time in camp as possible. Hike slower and take more breaks. Shorter daylight hours make this hard, but exercise is a great way to stay warm; this is another reason why eating dinner at noon helps. When you are in camp, do things as quickly as you can then into your bag. The same rule applies in the morning; if you're cold, you can always break camp quickly, start hiking and then stop for breakfast after you've warmed up.

Just Bill
11-11-2014, 14:05
On Bati's fine comments-
One UL trick that works well- The big meal at noon is a great tip, as is moving "dinnertime" up to stay out of camp. Unlike a Gent who can eat like a sow and wallow in the mud until passing out- walking on a few more miles at a very easy pace after cleaning up is a big help.

Bati- doing this will allow you to dry out your clothes without carrying spares.

That extra twilight hour of walking at an easy pace does a few things for you-
Gets your body and digestion on track and warms you back up after a dinner time break.
Lets your clothing dry under your own body heat- just keep the pace slow enough to avoid sweating.
Since you're not struggling- you can wash up during dinner- a clean sleeper is a warmer sleeper- but washing up chills you out- which a stroll fixes up.
Gets you warmed up again prior to bed.

Most important of all- When all the noisy hikers are in camp, it gets you out at twilight when all the other folks who live in the woods are stirring around and wonders abound.

Dogwood
11-11-2014, 14:30
Empty your bladder or eliminate the need to by not having a full bladder when you go to sleep as all that urine can rob your system of cals/energy/warmth to keep warm.

Do some light jumping jacks Just Jull before tucking in for sleep. The aim is to warm yourself up which will radiate into your sleeping bag not build up a sweat.

Dogwood
11-11-2014, 14:34
I try to nab those corner spots in AT lean-tos to get out of the wind. I think those spots are the warmest in AT lean-tos. It's also nice to have a corner to yourself where you have one side to reasonably spread out your gear out of everyone else's way too. Beware those corner spots in AT lean-tos is where the mice usually travel though.

Another Kevin
11-11-2014, 20:06
I try to nab those corner spots in AT lean-tos to get out of the wind. I think those spots are the warmest in AT lean-tos. It's also nice to have a corner to yourself where you have one side to reasonably spread out your gear out of everyone else's way too. Beware those corner spots in AT lean-tos is where the mice usually travel though.
I avoid lean-tos in cold weather. My tent is much warmer. It has four walls. Unless someone else is volunteering to tend a big fire all night. [emoji3]

Dogwood
11-11-2014, 21:20
I just got this- chesticles? LOL.

Pinhoti
11-13-2014, 10:29
Thanks for the ideas, these seem like some very good ideas.

bosborne
11-14-2014, 22:57
JJ, I'm actually a pretty warm sleeper but I've done some winter hiking in Maine, and that's a situation where staying warm is a challenge whether you "sleep warm" or not. I'll repeat what others are saying, in fact. Stay dry, and if you can't then sleep in a set of dry clothes just for sleeping (you already knew this). Wool works, not cotton, so wool long underwear, for example.

An important trick: put something warm on your feat. Someone mentioned down booties, which sound wonderful. I would keep a pair of thick wool socks in my sleeping bag, just for sleeping. Also, wear a nice warm hat while sleeping, and it should be perfectly dry. Can you make that wool or some kind of wool blend?

tiptoe
11-15-2014, 11:52
I want to add my thanks for all the useful suggestions. I too struggle with staying warm evenings and early mornings, and not only while on the trail but also while living in a drafty old house.

Jem
11-23-2014, 10:02
Great list! Additional tips, as a 5'3" 180# woman: 1) tight clothes restrict circulation and circulation brings warm blood. I sleep in loose wool socks with no elastic band at the top. Makes a huge difference. 2) I'm round and use a big bag, but I'm short so I need to fill the end of my bag with stuff (boots, clothes, etc.) or put my pack on top of it so the bottom is packed down. This blocks the end of my sleeping bag and I'm not loosing heat to the extra space 3) in general, just mittens keep my hands warmer then just gloves.

Connie
11-23-2014, 10:19
In another thread, don't hike in down garments, the down gets wet from the inside (ie. perspiration).

Have the down garments in camp.

I put on down, in camp. It is almost never so cold, as to wear it inside my down sleeping system. I put it over me, but usually inside my pack under my legs because I use a short NeoAir mattress.

I usually sleep in a fresh "insulating" layer of silkweight or 150 weight or more lightweight merino.

This keeps the down sleep system clean and the down clothing warm and dry for the next time I need to wear it.

Recently, I ordered a down vest, sleeves, and hood from lukesultralight. I think this will be the most versatile, and, packable volume use of lightweight down garments, for me. Sold as a "down bundle" I am looking forward to receiving that package.

I put on a warm beanie hat, maybe gloves as well the moment I start to feel cold, if hiking, if stopping for a rest break, if stopping for a food break, if stopping to make camp. The monent I fell a little cold, I put on the warm hat.

If it could be cold enough for frost, or ice, at night, I put my boots inside a bag to keep everything else clean. The boots go under my legs underneath my down sleep system, as well, sometimes inside my backpack.

imscotty
11-23-2014, 15:49
Do what I do....gain weight :)

misprof
11-24-2014, 22:17
Thanks Bill, I appreciate your suggestions. Your paragraph about men and women and how we keep warm makes a some things become very clear. Thanks again