PDA

View Full Version : Walmart knock off Thermarest.

Cedar1974
10-28-2014, 14:06
I was walking through Wally worls and say an Orzark Trail versin of the Thermarest sleeping pad. I was interested in getting it since it will be cheaper and easier to get, but is it better to just get the Thermarest?

rocketsocks
10-28-2014, 14:15
quality never costs...it pays. But I've no experience with WW's ozark line of anything.

Rocket Jones
10-28-2014, 14:22
Is it a knock off or the exact item rebranded for Wally World? Check the specs like weight and dimensions. It might be worth getting, but I'd want to do a comparison first. Can you access a Thermarest near you? Maybe a sporting goods store or outfitter.

10-K
10-28-2014, 14:53
Is it a knock off or the exact item rebranded for Wally World? Check the specs like weight and dimensions. It might be worth getting, but I'd want to do a comparison first. Can you access a Thermarest near you? Maybe a sporting goods store or outfitter.

That's a good question - I doubt Walmart has an air mattress factory.

I was talking to a dairy vendor in our local Walmart the other day and she told me that the Walmart brand (Great Value) cheese was actually made by Kraft.

atraildreamer
10-28-2014, 16:49
That's a good question - I doubt Walmart has an air mattress factory.

I was talking to a dairy vendor in our local Walmart the other day and she told me that the Walmart brand (Great Value) cheese was actually made by Kraft.

Most of the store brand stuff is made by the name brand manufacturers. One trick I learned is to take the packages and examine how they are made. e.g.: I compared the bottom of the bottle of Advil Geltabs with the bottle of the WalMart brand. The markings molded into the base of the bottles were identical. The only real difference was the $2 I saved by buying the WalMart version.

MuddyWaters
10-28-2014, 20:23
I purchased inexpensive heavy self infating air matresses for car camping with scouts. Did not take long for them to delaminate from the foam and turn into big worthless bubbles. Many years later my thermarests have not done that.

gypsy97
10-28-2014, 21:01
I purchased inexpensive heavy self infating air matresses for car camping with scouts. Did not take long for them to delaminate from the foam and turn into big worthless bubbles. Many years later my thermarests have not done that.

I had exactly the same experience with their air mattress I bought for car camping. I ended up sleeping in my car one night and it wasn't worth the little I paid for it. I'd never trust any Walmart item on the trail.

HooKooDooKu
10-29-2014, 01:04
I've owned Thermarest mattresses for 20 years. My original ones seem to be just as good today as the day I bought them. They were actually used by a friend this month who is new to the camping scene and said they did wonderful. (Ok, the coating on the Thermarest stuff sacks I bought back then are delaminating... but the pads are still top notch).

Of course technology moves forward, and I've up-graded to the Neoair xlite. Thicker than my 20 year old 2" LE Edition yet less then half the weight (and crazy smaller in packing size).

HeartFire
10-29-2014, 05:31
Just because a product is made by a name brand company for an off brand label does not mean it is the same quality. It is often (always?) a much lower quality item. Like the stuff in the "outlet stores". Most (but not all) is actually manufactured at a lower quality to be sold in those stores. "You gets what you pay for"

Starchild
10-29-2014, 12:35
Saw it today at Wallyworld, it is a Thermorest product, 'Thermorest' is on the product, along with Cascade Designs'. However this is not the light weight self inflating pad the ProLight and IIRC the weigh is 1lb 8 oz which makes it on the heavy side. (Prolight is 1 lb 1 oz).

mudsocks
10-29-2014, 13:14
Just because a product is made by a name brand company for an off brand label does not mean it is the same quality. It is often (always?) a much lower quality item. Like the stuff in the "outlet stores". Most (but not all) is actually manufactured at a lower quality to be sold in those stores. "You gets what you pay for"

This. If there is a significant price difference it's a safe bet you aren't getting the same quality.

vamelungeon
10-29-2014, 13:40
Not hiking or camping equipment BUT I worked for a manufacturer of automobile engine parts, and the difference between the OEM and the aftermarket parts we made was the stamp we put on them, so some bargain brand items ARE exactly the same, and some are not. It requires more research to make a statement about it (or a decision).

Rocket Jones
10-29-2014, 14:00
This. If there is a significant price difference it's a safe bet you aren't getting the same quality.

Not neccessarily. It could be that they're using cheaper, heavier materials. Same quality construction.

Rocket Jones
10-29-2014, 14:01
Saw it today at Wallyworld, it is a Thermorest product, 'Thermorest' is on the product, along with Cascade Designs'. However this is not the light weight self inflating pad the ProLight and IIRC the weigh is 1lb 8 oz which makes it on the heavy side. (Prolight is 1 lb 1 oz).

Therm - O - rest or Therm - A - rest?

Starchild
10-29-2014, 14:18
Therm - O - rest or Therm - A - rest?

Cascade Designs

rocketsocks
10-29-2014, 14:28
Lets not forget the principals of the "Dirt bag and deal" our fella dirt baggers before us have laid down. You can patch that thermo/therma-rest a hundred times until it becomes unacceptably heavy to you to continue to carry, all with the quiet inside glow of knowing you only paid a small pittance of a name brand piece.

Traveler
10-29-2014, 18:18
Caveat Emptor

Dholmblad
10-31-2014, 10:22
dont support walmart... Just buy the real thing

double d
10-31-2014, 10:52
most of the things I've bought at Wal-Mart are cheaply made, unless its tooth paste, I would pass on buying any hiking gear at Wal-Mart that isn't a well known manufacture

double d
10-31-2014, 10:52
dont support walmart... Just buy the real thing
couldn't agree more with you!

atmilkman
10-31-2014, 12:36
Same can be said of a name brand item sold at Walmart. My sister bought a Hunter fan from Walmart that (she thought) was the exact same one she could get at Home Depot only much cheaper. I went to install it for her and it was missing parts. (naturally) I called Hunter to get them to send the parts and the guy could tell by the serial number mind you, (not model number, because the model number was exactly the same as the one from Home Depot) that this fan was from Walmart. He then proceeded to tell me how Walmart contracts with brand company's that they will buy (x) amount of products from them if they can get them for (x) amount of dollars. The company's agree because it is such a lucrative deal they can't pass it up. But, in order to make any real money on it they have to cut their cost somehow. So they do this by substituting cheaper materials and parts in the "Walmart models" unknown to the consumer. In some cases Walmart knows this and they just don't care because they're making money. I was also informed that I wasn't the only one missing parts in a box. Then come to find out Hunter had actually contracted out the Walmart fans to another company. How much of this is true I don't know. I don't have any physical proof as in written proof I'm only going by what the parts man told me over the phone. Take it for what it's worth. But, it makes sense to me.

Starchild
10-31-2014, 16:18
Same can be said of a name brand item sold at Walmart. My sister bought a Hunter fan from Walmart that (she thought) was the exact same one she could get at Home Depot only much cheaper. I went to install it for her and it was missing parts. (naturally) I called Hunter to get them to send the parts and the guy could tell by the serial number mind you, (not model number, because the model number was exactly the same as the one from Home Depot) that this fan was from Walmart. He then proceeded to tell me how Walmart contracts with brand company's that they will buy (x) amount of products from them if they can get them for (x) amount of dollars. The company's agree because it is such a lucrative deal they can't pass it up. But, in order to make any real money on it they have to cut their cost somehow. So they do this by substituting cheaper materials and parts in the "Walmart models" unknown to the consumer. In some cases Walmart knows this and they just don't care because they're making money. I was also informed that I wasn't the only one missing parts in a box. Then come to find out Hunter had actually contracted out the Walmart fans to another company. How much of this is true I don't know. I don't have any physical proof as in written proof I'm only going by what the parts man told me over the phone. Take it for what it's worth. But, it makes sense to me.
To this I got some electron device, perhaps a blueray player, I had to call the manufacturer for a issue, read the model number, it ended with a W, was told over the phone that the W meant Walmart, other ones to other vendors do not get the W.

atmilkman
10-31-2014, 16:36
To this I got some electron device, perhaps a blueray player, I had to call the manufacturer for a issue, read the model number, it ended with a W, was told over the phone that the W meant Walmart, other ones to other vendors do not get the W.
I'm wondering now that if this might be a standard that has come about due to the public finding out about the "secret". I had the model number ready but it struck me funny as to why he needed the serial number. Evidently the "w" is some secret form of disclosure that they weren't doing in the past.

TSPORT
04-17-2015, 20:41
Saw it today at Wallyworld, it is a Thermarest product, 'Thermarest' is on the product, along with Cascade Designs'. However this is not the light weight self inflating pad the ProLight and IIRC the weigh is 1lb 8 oz which makes it on the heavy side. (Prolight is 1 lb 1 oz).

I realize this is an old quote but felt the need to comment since I just saw this yesterday at Walmart. Walmart sells the Ozark Trail pad as well as this Therma-rest Hiker pad. They are not the same at all. All Therma-rest pads are made in the USA and it says so right on the package and they have a lifetime warranty against defects. I did not look at the Ozark Trail pad but more than likely a Chinese import. Here is a picture of the Therma-rest Hiker on the shelf at Walmart. It weighs 2 lb., 4oz. . My guess is this is made just for Walmart as I can't find it for sale retail anywhere else. The price is decent and still USA made Therma-rest.

TSPORT
04-17-2015, 20:45
Just to clarify " My guess is this is made just for Walmart ". What I meant is the Hiker model Therma-rest pad just being sold at Walmart!

Gray Bear
04-18-2015, 05:42
Rainman had in wrong....Walmart sucks.

LuckyMan
04-18-2015, 12:41
I had a Thermarest for many years; when it leaked I sent it in for repair and was sent a new one. I'll never buy a Thermarest knockoff - you know Walmart won't give that kind of service.

Walkintom
04-18-2015, 13:01
I check out the actual products on the Walmart shelves in the camping area about once a month. Some of the stuff for sale there is decent for the price. Some of it is the exact same product you buy elsewhere, and that is usually at the same price as you would pay elsewhere.

And sometimes there are good deals on other things that you don't see elsewhere. And there's some outright junk.

I would be wary of anything like a sleeping pad unless you can find reviews or stats on its comfort and R value.

Mountain Bluebird
04-18-2015, 21:22
Wal-Mart delivers low prices in some part due to its cost of labor. Get it?

Walkintom
04-18-2015, 21:40
I do get it, PC. But the OP wasn't asking about that so I didn't go into it. :) You can have the soapbox.

Singto
05-30-2015, 23:44
Wal-Mart delivers low prices in some part due to its cost of labor. Get it?

People like you conveniently forget and/or ignore the basic concept of working at any company is a personal and voluntary choice. Your complaint and hostile position against a business that provides employment for thousands of people across the states that otherwise might be unemployed is very juvenile at best. If you don't want to work for them, don't. If you think you can do it better then by all means, get out there and build a company to employ thousands of people so you can pay them higher wages and better benefits.

Traveler
05-31-2015, 07:36
People like you conveniently forget and/or ignore the basic concept of working at any company is a personal and voluntary choice. Your complaint and hostile position against a business that provides employment for thousands of people across the states that otherwise might be unemployed is very juvenile at best. If you don't want to work for them, don't. If you think you can do it better then by all means, get out there and build a company to employ thousands of people so you can pay them higher wages and better benefits.

The ad hominem point of being "very juvenile" (akin to saying very purple btw) isn't relative to the thread. While Walmart does have identical product one can find at other retailers, it is usually at similar pricing. Products looking similar that are priced far less than the products they appear similar to are made for Walmart under contract.

This really comes down to caveat emptor (let the buyer beware), if the price is substantially less than similar looking poles at REI, EMS, etc, they are likely not the same poles in construction though cosmetically they appear similar. This doesn't make them a poor choice, but does indicate they probably have lower performance. It depends on ones use, needs, and expectations of the gear they purchase.

Cedar1974
06-21-2015, 11:06
Wow, and here I was just curious about the Orzark Trail product. I never expected to start a fight over the quality of wally World products.

Water Rat
06-21-2015, 11:25
Wow, and here I was just curious about the Orzark Trail product. I never expected to start a fight over the quality of wally World products.

The product itself would probably be just fine. I would think it would depend on if you wanted to carry the extra weight (over that of a Thermarest), or if you were planning on using the pad for car camping. I have made do with many Ozark Trail products over the years and have never had a bad thing to say about the quality of their products. Any gear can fail - It does not matter what name is on the label.

With that, you are more likely to get less run-around with Thermarest, if you should need customer service. That is something to think about, too. And, if you should decide you don't like the pad you are more likely to be able to sell your Thermarest.

q-tip
06-21-2015, 11:42
Hey, don't knock Wal Mart too bad. Between The Mart and The Dollar Store I save at least $100-$125 every month. I buy little bp items, but when it comes to the important gear, saving a few bucks just would not be worth cold, wet, awake.........

q-tip
06-21-2015, 11:57
Don't knock Wal Mart too bad. Between The Mart and Dollar Store I save $199-$125 every month. Got these camp shoes for $15. Ten oz., and $65 less than the Vibro's....

Bronk
06-21-2015, 13:11
Walmart has a reputation of being a ruthless negotiator when it comes to their suppliers. A few years ago they told Huffy bikes that if they wanted to sell their bikes at Walmart they had to have a bike at the $50 price point...and they had to give Walmart as many of those $50 bikes as they could sell. If they did that, then Walmart would let them sell their more expensive bikes too. Problem was their factories were at capacity just making the $50 bikes they were required to produce under their contract, so they couldn't sell any of the more expensive bikes that were profitable to them. Likewise with Vlasic pickles...you know those big gallon jars they sold for $3.99? Why on earth would people pay 2 or 3 dollars for a small jar when they could get a gallon for that price? Think Vlasic makes any money giving gallon jars away for $3.99? You see lots of examples of this if you pay attention...many clothing brands come and go at Walmart, and I'd bet its because they aren't making any money selling to Walmart at the prices they demand. But at the end of the day its a competitive market...lots of people obviously love the store...which is why their parking lot is always full and the Kmart a block away has 2 cars in the lot.