PDA

View Full Version : Am thinking about a late winter, westbound thru-hike...thoughts?

NCbackpacker88
10-28-2014, 19:57
So from what I can tell, going westbound and starting in February sometime would be ideal for me. I am an unsuccessful 2014 AT thru-hiker, so am familiar with gear (minus shoes that screwed my feet up), timetables, and all the particulars...just not the ones for this trail. Camping is starting to annoy me a bit...it seems like you can't camp anywhere. The timetable? 1000 miles...2.5 months or so? I plan on walking the whole way, so no biking. Resupplies don't seem like they'll be too bad.

The only thing that sketches me out is camping. I've hiked tons of day hikes throughout the state on it, and have yet to find camping. Just wondering what some general thoughts are about the trail and issues about it. I ordered Taba's book and am looking forward to getting to read it!

Thanks for any advice!

10-K
10-29-2014, 07:40
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm playing with a similar plan for the Palmetto Trail in February.

I'm hacking away on the MST in my 'spare time' - I'm going to hike another 130 mile section starting this Friday. The MST isn't like any trail I've hiked before and it's easier for me to research a section, then hike it - then stop until I have time to really research the next section.

I lived in Wilmington for 25 years - should have started earlier. :)

grizzlyadam
10-29-2014, 23:44
So from what I can tell, going westbound and starting in February sometime would be ideal for me. I am an unsuccessful 2014 AT thru-hiker, so am familiar with gear (minus shoes that screwed my feet up), timetables, and all the particulars...just not the ones for this trail. Camping is starting to annoy me a bit...it seems like you can't camp anywhere. The timetable? 1000 miles...2.5 months or so? I plan on walking the whole way, so no biking. Resupplies don't seem like they'll be too bad.

The only thing that sketches me out is camping. I've hiked tons of day hikes throughout the state on it, and have yet to find camping. Just wondering what some general thoughts are about the trail and issues about it. I ordered Taba's book and am looking forward to getting to read it!

Thanks for any advice!

I started an Eastbound hike on February 15, 2005. Summited Jockeys Ridge in exactly two months. Once I got east of the mountains I ended up camping behind lots of churches. If I saw someone there in the evening I would ask permission. Never got turned down. I may be wrong, but I believe I saw somewhere that TABA has marked a lot of the churches along the way that have given permission for people to camp. He also has a section in his book of folks across the state who are willing to lend some yard for you to set up camp for the night and whatnot.

I'm just down the road in Boone. If you want to get together sometime to talk about the MST, send me a message on here.

tomsawyer222
07-17-2015, 16:13
I went west bound starting January 1st. It will be just fine just remember that the flat road walking doesn't generate the body heat that up and down mtns does so you will need extra clothes for the cold. also very windy on the beach sections. supplies should be really easy.

fording the river in the gorge during winter is an experience though so make sure your ready for that.

camping is mostly churches and yards in the east of course the church may not be where you want to stop though. But the non official line to remember is that you can stealth on the beach amongst the dunes and there is a lot of pine timber forest along the way that can be stealthed. My advice get a gps or gps equipment for your smartphone and get offline aerial maps and use these to help find out of the way spots for each day. Also in the west you cannot technically camp near the BRP but there is a lot of areas you can squeeze in.