PDA

View Full Version : Who's the most effortless, strongest, or

lobster
10-19-2005, 15:34
fleetest hiker you have ever hiked with? Someone that just floats along or can carry considerable poundage for long distances without seeming to tire?

the goat
10-19-2005, 15:40
i would have to nominate......myself!:banana

chris
10-19-2005, 16:29
Probably either Will (Ill Will, 4:12, Pony Express) or Glory. I'm having trouble ever remembering seeing one of them tired on the PCT. On the AT, Rock Steady never seemed to fade, even when I was toast.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2005, 16:35
Me and Ward Leonard.

lobster
10-19-2005, 16:44
LW,

From what I heard that is so true. Maineak said that you were stronger than him and should attempt a thru.

lobster
10-19-2005, 16:45
I meant speed hike!

Ender
10-19-2005, 16:47
fleetest hiker you have ever hiked with? Someone that just floats along or can carry considerable poundage for long distances without seeming to tire?

Also going to have to say Glory from the PCT. Only ever saw her once, and there's a reason for that. Also, this dude named Purple on the AT in '98 was pretty energetic. Hiked like he was 7 feet tall, even though he couldn't be more than 5'7" at the most.

rickb
Isn't Ward Leonard the name of a big defense contractor in CT?

Actually, that's a rhetorical question. I just googled the name and that's what I came up with. Makes me wonder if Ward Leonard is the renowned hker's real name or just his private joke on the rest of us. I know its a crazy thought, but he was from CT, right?

Sincerley,

John Deere

Lone Wolf
No desire for a speed hike. I'll stick to ultramarathons for now. BUT, you never know.

Seeker
10-19-2005, 16:49
my cousin mark... damned pack mule... 6'2'', about 225, and all muscle... carpenter by trade, used to carrying stuff up and down ladders all day...

he effortlessly carries a 60-70lb pack for a weeklong fishing trip, complete with cooking tarp, fire grate/pipes, and an aluminum griddle for his pancakes and bacon and eggs... carries mostly canned food too. has no trouble with it on any of the 8-12 mile hikes into some pretty remote adirondack lakes he fishes. was like that as a kid too, but maybe didn't pack quite so heavy... seemed like he had a really long stride though, and i take two steps to his one... but i do remember him carrying an enormous backpack one time, while schlepping this fiberglass canoe along over his head... had a bicycle wheel gizmo on the back, to handle that end while he pulled the other end... he's nuts... but happy, warm, and dry... can make a fire out of anything in any weather, so at least he doesn't have to carry a stove...

i've seen some infantrymen too, who carried unbelieveably heavy rucks (70-100lbs) for days... and some military intel guys too... their voice intercept gear weighed a ton, and they had to carry batteries to power it... heard that some of their loads weighed over 130 lbs... never heard of any of them, infantry or MI, carrying it 'effortlessly' though...

Spartan Hiker
10-19-2005, 17:23
...i've seen some infantrymen too, who carried unbelieveably heavy rucks (70-100lbs) for days... and some military intel guys too... their voice intercept gear weighed a ton, and they had to carry batteries to power it... heard that some of their loads weighed over 130 lbs... never heard of any of them, infantry or MI, carrying it 'effortlessly' though...
Yeah, 100lb rucks are hardly effortless unless they're dangling from your drop line, and even that is a transient 30 seconds or so...sooner or later you have to hump it.

the goat
10-19-2005, 17:26
No desire for a speed hike. I'll stick to ultramarathons for now. BUT, you never know.LW-

how'd you do in the masochist?

max patch
10-19-2005, 17:30
LW,

From what I heard that is so true. Maineak said that you were stronger than him and should attempt a thru.

Freudian slip?

Almost There
10-19-2005, 17:37
Wish I could remember the dude's name, but when out for a section hike in June, there was this guy who was out from Springer and he was at Bly Gap in NC by twelve noon on his third day out. He was carrying a big Gregory Shasta pack and was absolutely flying. Said he didn't waste time until after he was up near NOC as there was nothing really to see until that point. I thought I hiked hard, but this dude absolutely blew me away!

Lone Wolf
10-19-2005, 18:09
goat, I placed 76th out of 251 with a time of 10:06:40.

Rollergirl
10-19-2005, 21:05
Definitely have to nominate boys from SBU who hiked BIG miles, sometimes with obscenely heavy packs this summer....therefore, I'd like to add Lighting Rod and Scared of the Dark to the list!

weary
10-19-2005, 21:16
Me and Ward Leonard.
I can't vouch for "me," but Ward is one hell of a hiker. He's probably the best hker to ever attempt the AT -- certainly among the top 10 or so.

Weary

Moxie00
10-19-2005, 22:01
I am slow, very slow, but I hike from early morning until near dark. I've seen some fast ones, some trail runners, and several that just burned out their knees by trying too hard. Supported hikers like Horton and Maineac set records but how heavy were their loads? I remember Warren Doyle doing a fifty mile plus day but he was carrying only a turkey sandwich and a bottle of water. I hate the hut system in the Whites but my vote goes to those members of the "croo" that have to carry every potato, every egg, every pound of milk and meat, every roll of toilet paper, everything needed for a lodge that has to feed 50 plus people twice a day. They carry monster loads up steep trails from the trailhead to the hut several times a week. The yuppies that use the hut system labor up the same trail with their 10 pound day packs sweating and swearing as the croo fly past them with their 50-100 pound loads. I hate the AMC but I have nothing but respect for those kids that spend their summer flying up and down mountain trails so some overweight, overpaid yuppie from Beacon Hill can enjoy the "wilderness experience."

the goat
10-20-2005, 08:44
goat, I placed 76th out of 251 with a time of 10:06:40.
badass man, good showing.

kyhipo
10-20-2005, 09:11
I would have to say johny reb was impressive in 99 but I have met many great hikers,earnest p was a good long strider,and ofcourse when i want to hike i can go with the best:dance ky

Blister
10-20-2005, 09:57
I agree with Moxie and give a standing applause to the hut croo's. I'd also like to add to the question of "who is the least graceful and akward hiker you have ever met on the trail"
:dance

SalParadise
10-20-2005, 22:22
this year I'd vote for my friend Holden. I hiked with him a lot through Virginia. We averaged 23-mile days, but he still took 2 hour naps for lunch and always tried to talk the group into pushing for 4 more before it got dark. In Maine he shpera'd my pack for 4 miles, and it was like a Jason movie, me crusing along without a pack, but every time I looked behind there he was, with 55 pounds on his back and bouncing to his radio. great guy, too.

Red Hat
10-22-2005, 10:25
Two I met this year were Wandering Bull and Hellboy. They both just hauled it! Both finished in July (Bull on the 27th, Hellboy on the 31st). Amazing unsupported lightweight hikers... Red Hat

lobster
10-22-2005, 11:56
Any idea when they started/