PDA

View Full Version : expidition stuff

squeezebox
10-29-2014, 11:32
I was checking out the specs of my pack vs. Ospry the other day and I ran into 100-110 liter packs, geez how big are those?
So I wondered around expedition stuff, 8 person tent 25 lbs. 3 person tent 11 lbs. 110 liter pack 6 lbs. -60 down bag 5 lbs.
down pants 2 lbs , down jacket 3 lbs. one piece suit about the same
Geez that's a bunch of levels above what we are talking about.

Rocket Jones
10-29-2014, 14:06
In the USAF I carried a "hawk bag" full of arctic weight gear in addition to what I was already wearing. Had an outside job in North Dakota and like they say, "20 below keeps the riff-raff out." :D

rafe
10-29-2014, 14:14
I carried an 8 pound tent from NH Rte. 112 past Eliza Brook and up over South Kinsman. D'oh. What was I thinkin' ?

colorado_rob
10-29-2014, 14:53
Typical gear for Big mountain climbs; I carried a 110L pack and nearly 120 total pounds (~70 on back, ~50 on towed sled) on my first Denali climb... THEN I got a lot smarter, spent some bucks and was right around 90 total pounds for my second climb, just as well equipped. 70L pack that time. I did summit both times, but man, that first trip was a lot tougher with that weight.

I find a -25F bag (just under 4 pounds) suits me fine in -40F conditions; good tents go a long way in keeping you warm (mine is a 10.5 pound 3-person MHW Trango 3.1, modified).

This all includes nearly 3 weeks of food, about 40 pounds (low thirties the 2nd trip, another lesson learned on food weight to carry), and a gallon of fuel (7 pounds).

A buddy of mine used a 135L pack for his first two failed Denali attempts... THEN he finally made it carrying an 85L pack his third time. I don't know what his weights were, but they were big numbers, at least the first two times.

saltysack
10-29-2014, 17:52
Typical gear for Big mountain climbs; I carried a 110L pack and nearly 120 total pounds (~70 on back, ~50 on towed sled) on my first Denali climb... THEN I got a lot smarter, spent some bucks and was right around 90 total pounds for my second climb, just as well equipped. 70L pack that time. I did summit both times, but man, that first trip was a lot tougher with that weight.

I find a -25F bag (just under 4 pounds) suits me fine in -40F conditions; good tents go a long way in keeping you warm (mine is a 10.5 pound 3-person MHW Trango 3.1, modified).

This all includes nearly 3 weeks of food, about 40 pounds (low thirties the 2nd trip, another lesson learned on food weight to carry), and a gallon of fuel (7 pounds).

A buddy of mine used a 135L pack for his first two failed Denali attempts... THEN he finally made it carrying an 85L pack his third time. I don't know what his weights were, but they were big numbers, at least the first two times.

Now that's a trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk