PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Standing Indian Campground

importman77
10-29-2014, 12:44
Hi guys. My wife and I are hoping to get in some day hikes at standing indian this weekend, (10/31-11/03) and I'd like to pull our camper and stay at the campground. I've tried to get these answers from the USFS to no avail. I guess it's late in the season cause I can't seem to get to talk to anyone who knows anything. My first, (and most important question) is, do the bathhouses have electrical outlets? My wife isn't too much into the "roughin' it" thing if it means she can't do her hair. My other question is, what is the likelihood of getting a spot there this weekend? It's all first come first served and there's no way to reserve a spot. I would assume most of the leaf watching is over but I'm really not sure. Anybody with any knowledge, it will be greatly appreciated.

dmax
10-29-2014, 12:53
No info on the campground but I hiked there last weekend and the leaves were looking great. As long as it hasn't been too windy the leaves should be looking just as good if not better. .. Just tell her there's outlets :)

saltysack
10-29-2014, 13:03
Was there also last week....great showers but not sure about electric outlets....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNhiker
10-29-2014, 13:04
I was down there 3 weekends ago----and it wasn't completely full and this weekend is supposed to be a touch cooler so I would think spots are available...

The bathrooms have showers and lights so I would think there would be outlets...and I wanna say that the bathroom I used had a hair dryer in there but don't quote me on that...

Also some of the campsites have hookups....

importman77
10-29-2014, 19:48
Thanks guys. I knew someone on here would have some knowledge. Worse case, it's full and I have to go somewhere else. Appears there are quite a few campgrounds in the Franklin area. However, there's a certain appeal, (at least to me) to being able to walk out the door of the camper and start hiking.
Tnhiker, that's the first time I've heard that there hookups at some the sites. Sounds really good to me. Of course, I doubt that I would be lucky enough to get one of them. Again,thanks to everyone who responded and If anyone has anything to add,feel free to chime in.

saltysack
10-29-2014, 20:24
Last week here were plenty of sites open...getting ready to shut down for winter.....no more free showers

johnnybgood
10-29-2014, 21:31
However, there's a certain appeal, (at least to me) to being able to walk out the door of the camper and start hiking .Again,thanks to everyone who responded and If anyone has anything to add,feel free to chime in.

If you like the close proximity of hiking from the door of your camper then you should come to Shenandoah Nat'l Park.

All the campgrounds have the Appalachian Trail a short walk away. In Loft Mtn. Campground loop A is the one to reserve .

Violent Green
10-29-2014, 22:34
You should be able to get a spot there no problem, but might as well scope out a Plan B just in case. The bath house didn't have outlets in the loop where we stayed and to my knowledge no sites have hook ups. Outside of 1-2 handicap sites of course.

Ryan

TNhiker
10-29-2014, 22:39
Ummmm....now you've got me second guessing myself....

But I pretty sure there were hookups as why else could the rvs I saw then lit up at night......

TNhiker
10-29-2014, 22:40
Without hearing generators I should have added...

saltysack
10-29-2014, 23:04
Ummmm....now you've got me second guessing myself....

But I pretty sure there were hookups as why else could the rvs I saw then lit up at night......

Battery power....inverters...go for it.. Worse case you drive the 12 miles into Franklin so she can do her hair...I'm sure Ron haven @ budget inn would rent u a room for an hour so she could do her hair...while she's doing her hair u could walk down to outdoor 76 look at gear and drink craft beer....outfitter and brew house!!

importman77
10-30-2014, 06:16
Battery power....inverters...go for it.. Worse case you drive the 12 miles into Franklin so she can do her hair...I'm sure Ron haven @ budget inn would rent u a room for an hour so she could do her hair...while she's doing her hair u could walk down to outdoor 76 look at gear and drink craft beer....outfitter and brew house!!

o
Salty, you're correct of course on the battery power. I have a travel trailer without a generator and I will have lights and heat this weekend. Actually, the only things I can't run are the A/C and the microwave. (And of course any accessories that have to plug into 120v like hair dryer, tv etc.) In fact, my camper has two deep cycle batteries wired parallel so I can go for several days without a hookup to power. (and I've got jumper cables so I can recharge off my truck if needed).

That's a great idea about going to Ron's budget motel for my wife to do her hair. Although I can't help but imagine the skeptical looks we'll get from whoever is working when we tell them what we want.

Thanks again everybody. The help is greatly appreciated.

GregInAthens
10-30-2014, 09:07
Standing Indian Campground is huge, I can't imagine that the areas meant for RV's wouldn't have electricity. I was there a week ago, but not on the weekend, and it was 95% empty. The office/store wasn't even open, but there was a sign that directed you to the hosts' campsite. I tried to hike Lower Ridge Trail up to Standing Indian, but turned around after 45 minutes because I lost the trail and couldn't see anymore blazes. There were packs of bloodhounds running up and down the AT between Mt Albert and Standing Indian, and bear hunters in trucks driving up and down the forest service road all day.

Violent Green
11-01-2014, 19:03
"Standing Indian Campground is huge, I can't imagine that the areas meant for RV's wouldn't have electricity. "

I double checked Recreation.gov and Standing Indian has no water, sewer or electric hookups available. Does have a dump station though.

Ryan

Damn Yankee
11-01-2014, 21:19
Have you looked at there sight? http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/null/recarea/?recid=48668&actid=62 it says no water or electrical in sights. Season runs until Nov. 27.