PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Campground for re-supply?

Philetus
10-30-2014, 01:31
Hey, folks.

I hope to finally get back on the Trail next spring (my long term schedule of section hiking got derailed by one summer of cataract surgeries and another summer of ... well, falling down a volcano), and I am planning a hike with someone who has never done more than a two-day Boy Scouts hike. I am looking at Hiwassee to Fontana, thinking a nice-and-easy 10 or 11 days.

The NOC is a pricey but easy resupply spot, but I want to do a quick resupply early, as well (I don't want to have to tell my friend to pack in six days of food right off the bat). I know Standing Indian Campground has a camp store, but is it a decent place to resupply for the few days down to the NOC, or should we plan to hop off to Franklin? (Franklin does offer the added benefit of Fat Buddies, for some of the best BBQ ribs I have ever tasted.)

Or, is there another easy on-and-off in that area I should be looking at?

As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

saltysack
10-30-2014, 06:51
They don't have much...Franklin much better option..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
10-30-2014, 07:41
The last time we were at the S.I. camp store it had some ice cream bars and a couple of snacks. No real resupply. I would not expect it to even be open before Memorial Day anyway.

Hitch into Frankin from Winding Stair Gap (US 64.) It's an easy hitch and there are several good grocery stores.

Slo-go'en
10-30-2014, 10:18
Not worth the detour, go to Franklin. Ron of Budget Inn does a shuttle from US64 in the morning. If you don't want to spend the night it's easy enough to hitch back to the trail. It's a bit of a walk to get to the Siler Bald shelter from Winding stairs, so you'd want to try and get back to the trail head by as soon as possible. If you get back late, there is a campsite about a mile up from the road.

RED-DOG
10-30-2014, 12:41
send a mail drop to Aquone Hostel theirs no need to go into franklin.
phone#828-321-2340

Nooga
10-30-2014, 14:32
I agree with others that it is really easy to get into Franklin. However, the Standing Indian Campground store is open in April and they will accept mail drops if that is your preference.

Ox97GaMe
10-30-2014, 17:50
It's a bit of a walk to get to the Siler Bald shelter from Winding stairs, so you'd want to try and get back to the trail head by as soon as possible. If you get back late, there is a campsite about a mile up from the road.

There are several places where you can find flat ground to pitch a tent or string a hammock between Winding Stair Gap and Siler Bald Shelter. And the hike to the shelter is not too bad.

you can get decent short term supplies at Standing Indian campground, then pick up again at Fontana. But the preferred method for most hikers is to go into town and get a good resupply that will then get you into Gatlinburg. Fontana can be limited on resupply items, based on what day of the week you get there, and what month of the year.

saltysack
10-30-2014, 18:10
I just night hiked last week from Glassmine gap via long branch trail at standing indian campground to siler bald...only 4.5 miles from winding stair gap.. I started at 7pm stopped at wsg for 1 hr break and was atop siler before midnight...I didn't think was to bad of a climb..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk