PDA

View Full Version : Rain kilt diy??

saltysack
10-31-2014, 23:09
Anyone made a rain kilt.....sounds better than a skirt[emoji3]. Never liked rain pants for hiking down south as I sweat too much even in winter...looked at the kilts but can't bring myself to pay $40-60....thinking about using a Tyvek ground cloth I have sitting around...may try the adhesive Velcro strips at waist....dual purpose as a dry clean place to sit under the awning of my lhg solong6...input or thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
10-31-2014, 23:46
Take a pair of driducks pants, cut legs off above knee, cut up inside legs to crotch, duct tape into skirt, I mean kilt.

Works with tyvek pants too.

squeezebox
11-01-2014, 00:22
Maybe find a comfortable skirt at a thrift stove to use as a pattern

Riocielo
11-01-2014, 08:02
MuddyWaters, thanks for the idea! I have a pair of rain pants I hate to wear, but could probably tolerate a skirt.

Sandy of PA
11-01-2014, 21:47
I made mine out of Cuben from Z-packs. Got 2 yards, 1 oz. wt. and made it 25 inches long to double as a ground sheet under my wide thermarest in the shelters. Drawcord at the top, velcro to close. Used the leftovers to make stuffsacks.

Theosus
11-01-2014, 21:52
Anyone made a rain kilt.....sounds better than a skirt[emoji3]. Never liked rain pants for hiking down south as I sweat too much even in winter...looked at the kilts but can't bring myself to pay $40-60....thinking about using a Tyvek ground cloth I have sitting around...may try the adhesive Velcro strips at waist....dual purpose as a dry clean place to sit under the awning of my lhg solong6...input or thoughts?

Tapatalk is really annoying

I made one from some DWR fabric I bought from thru hiker fabric. Two yards was plenty. I looked up how to make kilts online. I used 2" pleats. I got picked on for having it until a downpour. It wads up really small...

Ercoupe
11-02-2014, 06:20
A large garbage bag (55 gallon for my stride). A shock cord duct taped at the top if need be.

Slo-go'en
11-02-2014, 11:30
A large garbage bag (55 gallon for my stride). A shock cord duct taped at the top if need be.

I'd want something a little more durable then a garbage bag. Hit a poorly maintained, overgrown section of trail and that bag will be shredded in no time, leaving bits of plastic along the trial.

I have a sil nylon skirt which is pretty much useless. Bleeds through too fast. I've thought about making one out of Tyvek, Cuben would be good too.

lunatic
11-02-2014, 18:55
I made one out of Tyvek last year for my Long Trail thru hike; worked well and I'm still using it. I'll look for the pattern and other info I have about it and send you more info tomorrow. Traveling now but wanted to respond.

Just Bill
11-02-2014, 21:26
I'd want something a little more durable then a garbage bag. Hit a poorly maintained, overgrown section of trail and that bag will be shredded in no time, leaving bits of plastic along the trial.

I have a sil nylon skirt which is pretty much useless. Bleeds through too fast. I've thought about making one out of Tyvek, Cuben would be good too.

A good 1.9 oz (before coating) does a bit better job IMO. Just the right 1.1 can work, but it's tough.
Cuben is best.

Just Bill
11-02-2014, 21:32

To me they boil down to construction-
Skirt- basic lampshade shape.
Kilt- a tube that is pleated on the top- poor choice for rain IMO. Waste of fabric too if you care about weight.

Sounds more like you want a wrap- basically the same thing that you do with a bath towel.
In fact- a bathtowel makes a great pattern, find one around the house you like, wrap it on like you got out of the shower and you're good.

From there- You can look at Joe's rain wrap at Zpacks- he uses Velcro.
Judy at Lightheart has a very nice wrap style rain piece too.

If the wrap is big enough you can get away with just cinching at the waist (like a towel) with some Velcro.
If the wrap is really small- you need a pretty decent vertical piece to keep it closed (a bit like Zpacks)

Tyvek is a good place to start, cheap, and you have dual uses for it...

Somewhere on here there is a thread and a pic with a rain skirt I made for Rocketsocks.

saltysack
11-02-2014, 22:08
Kilt- a tube that is pleated on the top- poor choice for rain IMO. Waste of fabric too if you care about weight.

Sounds more like you want a wrap- basically the same thing that you do with a bath towel.
In fact- a bathtowel makes a great pattern, find one around the house you like, wrap it on like you got out of the shower and you're good.

If the wrap is big enough you can get away with just cinching at the waist (like a towel) with some Velcro.
If the wrap is really small- you need a pretty decent vertical piece to keep it closed (a bit like Zpacks)

Somewhere on here there is a thread and a pic with a rain skirt I made for Rocketsocks.

Thx....skirt it is....kilt sounded more manly[emoji1]

saltysack
11-02-2014, 22:08
I made one out of Tyvek last year for my Long Trail thru hike; worked well and I'm still using it. I'll look for the pattern and other info I have about it and send you more info tomorrow. Traveling now but wanted to respond.

Thx any info would be appreciated...

Slo-go'en
11-02-2014, 22:28
I'm thinking suspenders to hold it up. It wouldn't take much of a strap and could be attached with snaps. I had trouble with the pack belt making the skirt slide down off my butt which was annoying. It would be even worse with slippery Tyvek.

rocketsocks
11-02-2014, 23:55

Here it is. Love this thang.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/104948-Colins-Kilt

Just Bill
11-03-2014, 11:17
I'm thinking suspenders to hold it up. It wouldn't take much of a strap and could be attached with snaps. I had trouble with the pack belt making the skirt slide down off my butt which was annoying. It would be even worse with slippery Tyvek.

A small piece of shock cord and a mitten hook at each hip would allow you to clip it to the return strap (where your shoulder strap meets the pack body).

FWIW- I don't have much trouble with falling down, but the skirts do tend to spin on me.

rocketsocks
11-03-2014, 12:20
I haven't notice the spin, though I am gonna shorten this about 2"-3" the pack slippage I've had a little bit, but I gots no Asa anyhoo, so then there's that.