PDA

View Full Version : What would you chose and why?

garyp
11-01-2014, 11:47
1. Double rainbow from Tarptent http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html 2 lbs 8 oz
2. Double Moment from Tarptent http://www.tarptent.com/whatsnew.html 3.25 lbs.
3. REI Half Dome http://www.rei.com/product/845481/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent 5 lbs. 12 oz.
4. MSR Hubba Hubba http://www.rei.com/product/863076/msr-hubba-hubba-nx-tent 3lbs 13 oz

This going light is new to me. I am leaning towards the Tarpent, however since I don't know anything about them I am a little apprehensive.

I do know way more about the other brands. What I like about REI is their warranty service.

I mostly camp in the high sierra's and the JMT and PCT is in my back yard. Afternoon Thunderstorms and flash floods are common in the high country.

Why did you pick the one you did. I have the money for any of these 4 however I just need to pick one and I don't know which one to pick and why.

This is out of my area that I know about since the Tarpents are in the running.

rocketsocks
11-01-2014, 13:48
hubba hubba...I like a true free standing, and it's lighter than the REI you listed.

RED-DOG
11-01-2014, 14:08
I think It would be a toss between the Double Moment and the Double Rainbow, the Hubba Hubba and the Half dome would be too heavy for my needs. I diffenantly like the way the Double Moment is designed.
Right now I would have to see both the Double Moment and the double Rainbow set up and put my hands on it, just by looking at the Pictures and the specification I think I would choose the Double Moment.

bigcranky
11-01-2014, 14:30
The SMD Lunar Duo might should be on your list, too.

Feral Bill
11-01-2014, 17:21
A friend's Half Dome kept us bone dry and comfortable in a major rainstorm in the Idaho mountains. So it gets a vote from me.

garyp
11-01-2014, 17:31
The only problem I see with the Lunar products is you have to not only purchast the tent, but also the poles that are supposed to make your tent stand up as well. That is a crappy business plan.

It's kinda like I can buy a soda, but I also have to buy a cup to put it in. So I get charged 2 times. Due to that and that they are more expensive that is a automatic turn off for me.

squeezebox
11-01-2014, 17:41
What Big Agnes copper spur 1 or2 . 2 is 3 lbs , 1 is 2lb 8 oz. lots of interior space.

bigcranky
11-01-2014, 17:43
Oh, please, the tents are designed to be used with hiking poles which many hikers are already carrying anyway. That way the poles are dual-use and one is not carrying a single-use tent pole.

If one prefers not to use hiking poles, then the company makes single-use tent poles available at a slight extra cost.

Your outrage meter needs to be recalibrated, I think. :)

Tuckahoe
11-01-2014, 17:51
The only problem I see with the Lunar products is you have to not only purchast the tent, but also the poles that are supposed to make your tent stand up as well. That is a crappy business plan.

It's kinda like I can buy a soda, but I also have to buy a cup to put it in. So I get charged 2 times. Due to that and that they are more expensive that is a automatic turn off for me.

Not at all. SMD, like Tarptent or Lightheart are making tents geared towards the hikers trying to shed weight and use multi-purpose gear, so they are offering tents intended to be paired and set up with trekking poles. And as small manufacturers their prices do reflect the price of tents sans poles. Just logical for a manufacturer to offer only what the customer wants and have add ons for those that want more.

garyp
11-01-2014, 18:35
Your outrage meter needs to be recalibrated, I think. :)

+1 lol.. It wasn't outrage it was like OMFG if it needs a pole to use, it should come with it. If I wan't to upgrade it from fiberglass to carbon fiber to save 2 lbs hell I will. But to not even supply what it neets to work properly? turned me off right away.

I am really leaning towards Tarpent due to everything comes with it. I like msr products too. But if it is raining I like the fact I can set it up in the rain and it won't get wet inside. That is a major plus.

I will probably upgrade the stakes that it comes with to the msr stakes. those are cool and work great.

HeartFire
11-01-2014, 19:11
Don't forget to check out the LightHeart Gear shelters! www.lightheartgear.com

hikehunter
11-02-2014, 00:43
I will keep hanging in my hammock w/ tarp.... 24.2 oz. ....thank you... hammock,tarp,UQ,TQ, and suspension....takes less than a 1/3 of my pack space.

If I had to choose I would go with the MSR Hubba.:banana

ericmcdaniel
11-02-2014, 15:50
The Big Agnes Fly Creek is also a great tent. The UL2 was plenty big for two people, and the UL1 was also very popular on trail last summer. BA also sent us a new tent body with no hassle when we developed a perceived leak problem in the floor (though my girlfriend says it was my imagination). She also loved the Tarptent Notch on her PCT thru hike in 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chall
11-03-2014, 20:39
Don't forget to check out the LightHeart Gear shelters! www.lightheartgear.com

+1. The SoLong 6 is awesome!

Twelve31
11-04-2014, 10:29

Agreed. Definitely check out the SMD stuff.