PDA

View Full Version : Catch a Wave in Utah... I did!

McPick
11-01-2014, 13:39
Hey hikers... I just scored 4 permits to hike the Wave geologic formation, which is located on the Utah Arizona border, in January. Access to the Wave is strictly controlled with only 20 hiking permits available per day and no overnight camping. 10 daily slots are chosen by online lottery, 4 months in advance. I applied in September for January, which is how I picked up my 4 slots.

Several years ago, I unsuccessfully entered the Wave permit lottery at the ranger station, east of Kanab, UT, on 4 different days. On each of those 4 days there were between 60 and 120 other people, from all over the world, vying for the 10 remaining next-day hiking permits.

Check out the short video here... http://www.utah.com/playgrounds/the_wave.htm or just Google The Wave, Utah.

You can learn how to enter the online lottery here... http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsmain/paria/coyote_buttes/permits.html Follow the links to 'Apply for Coyote Buttes Hiking Permit' and 'Apply for Lottery Here.' (Plus you can see how many people have entered the lottery per day to calculate your odds.)

The Wire Pass trailhead for the Wave is also one of the trailheads for hiking into the Buckskin Gulch slot canyon. Said to be the longest and deepest slot canyon in the US and possibly the world. More info here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckskin_Gulch

PS. By the way, don't even think about it... I have 3 brothers!

ryanwflynn
11-01-2014, 23:10
Buckskin is much more fun than the wave. Best of luck! I live in SLC and let me know if you need anything.

OwenM
11-10-2014, 10:27
Several years ago, I unsuccessfully entered the Wave permit lottery at the ranger station, east of Kanab, UT, on 4 different days. On each of those 4 days there were between 60 and 120 other people, from all over the world, vying for the 10 remaining next-day hiking permits.

Ouch. What time of year was that? I'm going to try for a walkin permit next week...

OwenM
11-10-2014, 10:28
Ouch. What time of year was that? I'm going to try for a walkin permit next week...I mean, THIS week! :D Time sure does fly, I'll be at Zion day after tomorrow.

McPick
11-14-2014, 00:25
Ouch. What time of year was that? I'm going to try for a walkin permit next week...

I mean, THIS week! :D Time sure does fly, I'll be at Zion day after tomorrow.

So you're there now. Good luck!!

My efforts to secure hiking permits to the Wave, at the ranger station, were in mid May. Luckily we realized the odds were against us so we had backup plans for each day including touring Zion, hiking into Buckskin Gulch slot canyon and hiking to the Rimrock Hoodoos.

For the Hoodoo hike, look for a small parking area on the north side of US 89 near milepost 20. Hike about a half mile on the marked trail to an area of tall hoodoos, toadstool rocks and redneck cliffs. These fascinating formations can be explored at any time of the day, but late afternoon sun is best for photography. This one of many scenic wonders in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.

Hope you had a spectacular trip!

Dogwood
11-14-2014, 11:19
The Wave and Buckskin Gulch hikes are terrible. You don't want to go there. The permits are unobtainable. The mosquitos swarm. You need a 4 w drive. The heat is repressible. :)

McPick
11-17-2014, 01:34
Stated...
the wave and buckskin gulch hikes are terrible.:) Knowing you hiked through the area, just a few miles to the west of the Wave and Buckskin on the Hayduke, I'm sure you mean "terribly WONDERFUL!" Now that I've compared the maps, I can see how easily a person hiking the Hayduke could inadvertently wander off the trail a bit to the east and jeez-o-man, like oops, accidentally hike right through the Wave.

you don't want to go there. Ah.. poor soul... I see your fingers slipped on the computer keys. Obviously you didn't mean to type "don't", and meant to type "DO!"

the permits are unobtainable. Certainly you mean, "already obtained!" (Yes, yes... sometimes the truth is painful.) And the Scarecrow called out, "Oh joy... Rapture!)

the mosquitoes swarm. Oh gosh... I'm sure this can be SO true. BUT NOT IN JANUARY! Ha, Ha, Ha.

you need a 4 w drive. Oh sure... a 4WD wold be nice. But seeing as how I already "been there done that" in my little van, in addition to driving it to the "How did you get that van here?" parking area above Peek-a-Boo and Spooky slots, I'm confident the need for a 4WD is highly overrated. (Unless it rains... IN JANUARY!)

the heat is repressible. Couldn't agree more... Incidentally, I've seen stories about hikers who have scummed to the heat while hiking to or from the Wave... IN THE SUMMER.

Nice try though, Mr. Dogwood. An exceptional presentation too... But please, let me be clear... I have 4 permits and 3 brothers. Sadly, this does not extend to '06 AT brethren! (Has it really been that long ago?) However, would you like an 8 x 10 signed, color glossy selfie, with a description on the back? :sun

Black Viper
11-17-2014, 17:59
Nice work scoring those permits! I was one of the lucky ones at that ranger station some years back, scoring 4 out of the 10 permits for the following day. Truly unforgettable place. After obtaining permits, the most difficult part is deciding which pictures to blow up and frame--there won't be any bad ones.

OwenM
11-20-2014, 01:29
Hope you had a spectacular trip!Thanks! Problems with preexisting injuries to my back and knee turned the trip mostly into a series of dayhikes. I couldn't see committing to the Trans-Zion with my rental car 47 miles away when already stove up. It was still pretty spectacular, though.
As far as the Wave goes, despite being outside tourist season, the area was loaded with photograhers.
Local guide I talked to summed up my chances for a permit in two words: "Forget it." Plus pointed out that I'd have do go down there two days in a row, because the permits are next-day.

Hiking the East Entrance in to Stave Spring kinda sucked, and Northgate Peaks was ok, but between the Subway, Narrows, Angel's Landing, La Verkin, and then Valley of Fire and Icebox Canyon at Red Rock in Nevada, I got to see some incredible scenery, and am pretty well consoled about not getting into AZ to see the Wave. Still envy you the permits, though! :)