PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an affordable lightweight winter boot

wornoutboots
11-01-2014, 23:52
Any long distant hikers have experience with these boots in the snow? I normally wear trail runners but i'm considering a high ankle boot for Winter/snow hiking.

http://www.rei.com/product/879584/hi-tec-west-ridge-mid-waterproof-hiking-shoes-mens-2013-closeout

hikehunter
11-02-2014, 00:04
My wife has a pair that she wares all the time...except when she is at work....if they would let her she would...she gets out with me from time to time on a weekend trip. They do require waterproofing from time to time...as a "thru hike shoe" the might make 250 miles...it depends on you and how you prep them and treat them....there is a place in Georgia that has a lot of boots and shoes strung up in a tree....
If you get them on sale at a super great price...think of getting two...

kidchill
11-02-2014, 09:59
I'm not sure if they're considered light or affordable...but the Garmount snow gtx boot is awesome! It may be more then you want, but...I'm a trail runner shoe kinda guy, and I have no problems wearing these in the winter/snow. Awesome traction, you'll only slip on ice, and they're more of a medium boot. Not too bulky though. Just my 2 cents.

1azarus
11-02-2014, 16:01
Ok. You made me look. Rei says that they weigh 1 pound and something a pair. That ain't right! Maybe each. Sure is a good price for a product from a decent company.