PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2

Havana
11-02-2014, 09:55
My son is ready for a new sleeping bag and given that he's thinking about a thru hike in the next few years it's probably time to get serious about a sleep system (vs the three + pound synthetic bag he has today).

If I completely forget about $s, I like the Montbell. But he's a slim kid, sleeps cool and I'm worried that the 25* rating might not be good at the shoulders of the season when we're routinely camping in high 30/low 40 weather.

Anyone have any experience with this bag and just how warm it is?

SteelCut
11-02-2014, 10:11
I don't have this bag but I do have a Montbell Down Hugger 800 (30* model). My bag is about 6 years old and still has fantastic loft and keeps me warm to the rated 30 degrees without any additional warm clothes needed (although I'm a fairly warm sleeper). The bag is a bit tight but if he is slim then he should have plenty of room.

I think this would be a solid choice although there are many other manufacturers that would fill this need. You might want to look at the Zpacks bags. You could get a 20 degree bag that is less expensive and lighter than the Montbell 900 #2. They get really good reviews.

Don H
11-02-2014, 16:36
I would highly suggest buying a sleeping bag liner to go with the new bag. I use the silk Cocoon http://www.rei.com/product/850427/cocoon-silk-mummy-liner#tab-description Keeps the bag from getting dirty, easy to wash and adds 5 degrees to its temp. rating.

The MB 900, a liner, and a down jacket should be warm enough for a thru starting in mid March or later.

I own three MB 800 bags, #1, 3, and 5. They are great bags and for me they are warm down to their stated comfort range.

Des
11-02-2014, 17:16
Montbells live up to the rating. I have an 800 fill #0 from my feb start and it has performed well down to the rating (and even below it will some fleece clothes). I would second the need for a down jacket and liner though with a 25* bag.

QHShowoman
11-03-2014, 06:57
Why not just get him a #1? That's the one I have and I use it more often than my #5. I sleep cold and it hasn't failed me yet.

Gambit McCrae
11-03-2014, 09:03
I will sleep in montbell bags for the rest of my life. I started trying them out in College and have never been cold or let down by them.
I have a 0*, a 15* and 45-55*. All three are ust super comfy, warm, and ROOMY. they pack small, keep their loft and Montbell has a great customer service team and the company will probably be around for quite some time. I have had my warmest montbell for about 5 years now, and it is weathered but still has more then enough life left in it. I do however suggest going with the down product line and not synthetic.

Havana
11-03-2014, 09:23
Why not just get him a #1? That's the one I have and I use it more often than my #5. I sleep cold and it hasn't failed me yet.

About 12 oz is the answer. That said, I could easily be swayed to the 800 #1

soilman
11-03-2014, 11:51
I used the UL super spiral #2 on my 2010 thru. I sleep cold and this bag kept me warm most nights. One night on a ridge above Sassafras Gap shelter I woke up in the middle of the night and put on my jacket because I got cold. It was too warm for the middle part of my hike. I sent it home at Harpers Ferry and used a Marmot Pounder until Hanover. I also used a silk liner, mostly to keep the bag clean. I cannot vouch that it adds anything to the temperature rating. I like the stretch of the MB. I am slim and the bag hugs you just like the name states.

QHShowoman
11-03-2014, 17:15
The #1 is still only 2.25 lbs -- which isn't bad for a bag that warm. And it packs down pretty small.

10-K
11-03-2014, 18:41
I don't think you can go wrong with MB bags. I own 2 brands of sleeping bags.. Western Mountaineering and Mont Bell.