PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Notch vs SMD Skyscape Trekker

Type38
11-02-2014, 12:31
I'm sure this question has been asked in various ways throughout this forum, I am deliberating between a TT Notch and SMD Skyscape Trekker. The Notch appears to be a lot more versatile with the multiple flaps and such as well as the inner and outer sections being able be set up separately. What I like about the Skyscape is its simplicity and slightly lower stated weight, although that I without stakes. must admit that I am leaning towards the Notch, but what are your all's thoughts?

Odd Man Out
11-02-2014, 18:17
I sold my Trekker that I used last year with the intent of buying a Notch (which I haven't done yet - I'm currently in between tents). The Trekker worked fine, but there were a few things I didn't like. The tie-backs for holding up the flaps were a bit difficult to operate. When it was getting dark one night, one got twisted and tangled and I had a devil of a time getting the flap down (had to run back to my tent and get the headlamp to see, even though it wasn't really that dark yet. Had it been raining, I probably would have been pretty desperate and cut the cord with my knife instead. Also, you can't tie back all four flaps unless you took out the side stakes (I suppose I could have rigged up guy lines, but didn't get around to it). I thought the bathtub on the floor was a bit shallow. In places, it barely came up off the ground (never did test it in rain, so can't say if it would keep me dry or not). The flat panel at my foot tended to sag overnight and rest on my feet. This is the part of the tent that is single walled, so condensation there gets on the footbox of my quilt. It was a dry summer hike, so it wasn't a big deal this time, but in cooler wetter weather, I would have been less happy. There is a tie out to hold this spot up, but it needed a conveniently located branch overhead to tie to. Otherwise I had to stake out the extra line with an extra stake and prop it up line with a stick (which had a habit of falling over). And I thought it would be nice to have a second door. Without it, the back vestibule isn't very useful. From what I've read, I decided I'd like to try the Notch.

Slo-go'en
11-02-2014, 20:38
Tough choice. Both have merits.

I picked the Trekker due to it's small foot print and is pretty easy to set up. I used it in the rain a lot with no issues. I agree the tie-off for the flaps aren't very effective, their in the wrong place. Not being able to access both sides from inside is a bit of pain. I typically put my pack up against the pole on that side and keep it covered.

4Bears
11-03-2014, 14:38
The biggest thing I see is the flexibility of the Notch, it being a true double wall tent, you can set up just the fly or net.

Franco
11-03-2014, 16:24
Here are a couple of photos I posted yesterday :
Notch fly only
and the Notch set up low (poles at 40") for extra wind/rain protection
franco@tarptent

Odd Man Out
11-03-2014, 22:43
franco@tarptent

I see in this pic you have the side guy line staked separately from the door flaps. Would it be possible to rig it so you could clip the doors to the same stake as the guy line, but still open the doors leaving the line in place? Or do you have to have 6 stacke to pitch like this?

q-tip
11-04-2014, 12:53
I have a TT Contrail and a Wild Oasis tarp. If I was buying today, it would be the Notch for its dual purpost of literally tarp/tent. The problem with the WO is the shape and lack of airflow. My bag gets soaked in multiple day rainstorms. The Contrail is the best of my five tents.

AO2134
11-04-2014, 13:00
I own the Scout, the cheaper heavier version of the trekker. I am happy with it. I have tested it in light to moderate rain with pretty good success. Condensation is an issue, but I just wipe down that single wall every hour or so and it turns out fine. I had a small amount of water come in from bottom of tent before but that was largely because I have no clue how to properly set it up.

I am happy with the Scout so far. I have used it over 15 times.

Trekker, I imagine, is largely the same, but lighter.

Another Kevin
11-04-2014, 15:20
I see in this pic you have the side guy line staked separately from the door flaps. Would it be possible to rig it so you could clip the doors to the same stake as the guy line, but still open the doors leaving the line in place? Or do you have to have 6 stacke to pitch like this?

I find that unless it's oppressively hot, I get adequate ventilation with just one door open on each side, so I wind up using six stakes only when I think the tent needs wind guys. That's rare, it's pretty robust without them.

Franco
11-04-2014, 17:35
Odd Man Out,
I prefer using 6 stakes, Henry uses 4 .
The reason I use 6 is because the angle is better for wind/snow resistance using the two extra ones.
I find that a guyline at around 45 degree works best .
BTW, if you set it up at the normal height or a bit higher (45"-48") as Another Kevin pointed out there is enough air flow particularly leaving the end flaps open.