PDA

View Full Version : Winter tips for wearing trail runners?

saltysack
11-03-2014, 10:11
I've always worn my la sportiva Wildcats all 4 seasons...any tips for snow or slush? What do yall do other than extra socks...???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
11-03-2014, 10:11
Edit....southern AT only.....

Slo-go'en
11-03-2014, 10:40
Gaiters for sure.

hikernutcasey
11-03-2014, 10:43
I've always worn my la sportiva Wildcats all 4 seasons...any tips for snow or slush? What do yall do other than extra socks...???

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI am in the exact same boat as you are...even the same shoes :) I started a thread a couple days ago asking for the same type of information.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107152-Hiking-in-snow

I don't seem to have a problem hiking in the snow with mine as long as the temps are below freezing and the snow is still frozen, not slushy. The problem is when it is melting and slushy. In this scenario your feet are going to be cold and wet. It's just a fact.

Just yesterday I hiked to a local summit at 5520 elevation with 10 inches of snow on top with no problems in my trail runners. It was 22 degrees so the snow was still fresh and powdery. Feet stayed dry and I was happy. But if I were to be going today there is no way my feet would be dry as it's supposed to be in the 40's up there. I'm looking into buying some waterproof boots just for winter hiking.

ScottTrip
11-03-2014, 11:05
I wore Solmon Trail Runners for my entire hike. I started in Early March and had large amounts of snow in for the first month. I had a pair of gortex socks that I used on several occasions when the snow was really deep. Some hikers used grocery bags, large ziplocks, ect and they worked. If you are hiking all day your feet warm up and while your socks will be damp, you really won't have much issue with cold feet while hiking. If it gets slushy you will need to change socks to keep the possibility of blisters to a minimum.

Dogwood
11-03-2014, 11:10
So you have experience wearing your low cut LaSport-o Wildcats non WP trail runners in more than 6" of snow and ice in winter? Multi days? You may be wishfully thinking as you sit at your comfy desk top in your warm surrounds noshing your hot b-fast. You do know it does get well below freezing for day time highs in winter on the southern AT? You do know hiking the southern AT in winter CAN entail hiking in above ankle deep snow sometimes possibly for multiple day streches?

I've been hiking mostly at a relaxed pace but cranking up the daily mileage ocassionally virtually exclusively carrying a sub 18 lb wt TOTAL. I consider my body to be hiking strong. That includes my legs, feet, ankles, back, etc. I don't have any medical isues. I consider my trail footwork to be excellent. Here's what I've been wearing on my feet to stay on trail in Minnesota and Kentucky through fall(NOT winter) yet in sometimes wet muddy trail conditions in temps down to about high 30's for day time highs. With the recent storm that blew through two days ago I was hiking in slush, mud, and a few inces of snow in sub freezing temps in the morn. My feet have been staying warm and dry but not sweaty. I've received decent traction and performance. I tell you all this because these things factor into my ability to safely use ASICS 1000 GT non-WP STREET runners with HANZ WP socks. If I anticipated hiking where I've been hiking into early winter or on the southern AT on multi day outings during winter I probably would not opt for the same system on my feet as likely conditions would dictate my gear choices. Stubbornly refusing to acknowledge the changes in trail condtions into winter by being detemined to gear up the sae ay

saltysack
11-03-2014, 11:19
So you have experience wearing your low cut LaSport-o Wildcats non WP trail runners in more than 6" of snow and ice in winter? Multi days? You may be wishfully thinking as you sit at your comfy desk top in your warm surrounds noshing your hot b-fast. You do know it does get well below freezing for day time highs in winter on the southern AT? You do know hiking the southern AT in winter CAN entail hiking in above ankle deep snow sometimes possibly for multiple day streches?

I've been hiking mostly at a relaxed pace but cranking up the daily mileage ocassionally virtually exclusively carrying a sub 18 lb wt TOTAL. I consider my body to be hiking strong. That includes my legs, feet, ankles, back, etc. I don't have any medical isues. I consider my trail footwork to be excellent. Here's what I've been wearing on my feet to stay on trail in Minnesota and Kentucky through fall(NOT winter) yet in sometimes wet muddy trail conditions in temps down to about high 30's for day time highs. With the recent storm that blew through two days ago I was hiking in slush, mud, and a few inces of snow in sub freezing temps in the morn. My feet have been staying warm and dry but not sweaty. I've received decent traction and performance. I tell you all this because these things factor into my ability to safely use ASICS 1000 GT non-WP STREET runners with HANZ WP socks. If I anticipated hiking where I've been hiking into early winter or on the southern AT on multi day outings during winter I probably would not opt for the same system on my feet as likely conditions would dictate my gear choices. Stubbornly refusing to acknowledge the changes in trail condtions into winter by being detemined to gear up the sae ay

I've never been in deep snow in them....that's why I'm asking...I've worn them on several winter trips...mostly ice...plan to buy microspikes as did roan mtn trip last February...busted my arse several times...slo going as it took over 12 hrs to go 15 miles over roan to overmountain shelter...

Dogwood
11-03-2014, 11:34
Sorry, my post got cut off. ...by being determined to gear up the same way despite those changes in trail conditions is going to get you into issues.

I've been carrying those HANZ WP socks and a separate pr of short ankle height mid wt POINT6 merino wool socks. They can be worn alone or on those very cold sloppy trail days together. If I anticipated multi day hiking in snow more than a dusting I would also carry gaiters. Of course, checking weather before heading out and researching likely historical seasonal weather patterns is part of adequately gearing up.

Dogwood
11-03-2014, 11:36
Those LaSporiva Wildcats cushiness is great though.

Dogwood
11-03-2014, 11:47
All that mesh on the Wildcats can easily gather ice and snow too so those light wt trail runners might not in real world winter possible snow travel use be all that light wt after all.

saltysack
11-03-2014, 11:56
All that mesh on the Wildcats can easily gather ice and snow too so those light wt trail runners might not in real world winter possible snow travel use be all that light wt after all.

I'm only a weekend warrior so I tend to keep a close watch on forecast and conditions...but I realize the forecast is often wrong!

saltysack
11-03-2014, 12:01

What would you recc go with hanz socks vs wp trail runners?

rocketsocks
11-03-2014, 12:12
I run wildcats, more comfortable than the brooks cascadias for me. Wouldn't be my firt chioce for snowy winter travel though, as others have said, you can get snow accumulation which can lead to brused or sore feet. Real comfortable shoe otherwise, and though I recently blew my wildcats out...I'd buy em again.

Dogwood
11-03-2014, 12:26
One of the purposes for me in electing WP socks to be worn with non WP trail runners is the versatility of being able to have WPness in a non WP shoe. This makes drying the shoe out by itself once the sock is removed that much faster. It affords the versatilty of not wearing a WP sock on days that I don't require WPness. For southern AT variable winter weather I get versatilty of combinations for my feet based on what I said. I'm not inclined to wear WP socks with WP shoes unless under serious COLD DEEP SNOW winter weather on multi days.

What has impressed me is how dry and warm - yet NOT SWEATY - under the conditions I've described - in these cooler temps my feet have stayed with the HANZ WP socks.

saltysack
11-03-2014, 12:26
I run wildcats, more comfortable than the brooks cascadias for me. Wouldn't be my firt chioce for snowy winter travel though, as others have said, you can get snow accumulation which can lead to brused or sore feet. Real comfortable shoe otherwise, and though I recently blew my wildcats out...I'd buy em again.

What do you wear in winter?

rocketsocks
11-03-2014, 12:32
What do you wear in winter?Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkEither suede Merrill trail runners or full leather boots Merrill Perimeters or my hunting boots Danner, all are WP gortex.

saltysack
11-03-2014, 12:34
Thx....hear so much negative abt gtx trail runners was curious

Dogwood
11-03-2014, 12:42
WB is a WP shoe haters website. Smiley. It's not about a "I love WP shoes" or I hate WP shoes choice. Simply, keep your options open. Keep soliciting feedback just as you've been doing. Observe. Consider. Adjust. Attack. Try some experimentation pre southern AT hike. Reevaluate.

mattjv89
11-03-2014, 12:44
Anyone have experiences good or bad with the winter specific trail runners? Models like the Salomon Snowcross, New Balance MT110 etc. that are usually waterproof with an integrated gaiter. I've been loving my Salomon Xa's but starting to wonder whether beginning an early March thru with mesh shoes is going to treat me well. Gore Tex socks of course would keep out the moisture but the reports of mesh filling with ice and hurting feet are concerning. I'm wondering if it'll treat me better to start in a more dedicated winter pair then swap back to mesh shoes once the winter pair is trashed.

saltysack
11-03-2014, 12:46
Maybe I'll give these a try...kind of pricey....http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/03/3b0bced0bd2476220ebe7e82eee9c93e.jpg

rocketsocks
11-03-2014, 14:53
WB is a WP shoe haters website. Smiley. It's not about a "I love WP shoes" or I hate WP shoes choice. Simply, keep your options open. Keep soliciting feedback just as you've been doing. Observe. Consider. Adjust. Attack. Try some experimentation pre southern AT hike. Reevaluate.True, my own investigation tells me no more gortex in the warmer months, blisters and schwetty feets.

July
11-03-2014, 16:59
I have been known to, and seen other hikers, carry just regular old bread bags. Just in case it gets 'that' cold.

jred321
11-03-2014, 17:43
I wore Wildcats this past Spring going up Tuckerman's on Mt Washington from Pinkham. Just wore Merino socks. I was surprised/impress with how little they slipped. I had friends who were skinning up on their skis while mine were on my back and I had no issues keeping up (they're also in worse shape) and didn't even bother putting on the microspikes. My feet stayed dry the whole time too because we left early so the trail was still frozen and we were walking on top of the snow instead of in it. And once I got to the ravine I switched to ski boots and had to wait a bit for the headwall to thaw so it could be climbed without crampons and ice axes. It was early enough in the season that we were able to ski all of the way down to the parking lot which was nice.

The key takeaway for me from that hike? As much as it may suck, and as hard as it may be to head out into the cold, leave early and get as much mileage in as you can while everything is still frozen from the night before. Walking on snow is much more pleasant than walking in snow, and as long as it isn't fresh snow that hasn't yet been traveled any previous footsteps will give you a nice hard surface to walk on.

1azarus
11-03-2014, 19:25
i like rocky goretex socks with light trail runners -- but the trail runners need to be bigger than i usually wear to fit a thick wool sock as well as the goretex oversock. do people prefer the hanz socks to rocky socks?

squeezebox
11-03-2014, 20:13
Seems to me by the time with, trail runners, you try to keep your feet warm and dry you're not far off from a reasonable pair of boots.
There's a time and place for everything, trail runners vs boots , hammocks vs, tents, sleeping bag vs quilt, etc. Sometimes a square peg will fit in a round hole often not. Safety first! Don't insist on a UL ideology, Sometimes it's the wrong thing to do.

July
11-03-2014, 21:29
short trail runners with gtx socks, bags etc have limit. If doing an extended deep snow http://www.backcountry.com/asolo-fugitive-gtx-hiking-boot-mens Throw in a set of tall gaiters, darn tough sox. Be sure to have a dry pair to sleep in...

saltysack
11-03-2014, 22:33
short trail runners with gtx socks, bags etc have limit. If doing an extended deep snow http://www.backcountry.com/asolo-fugitive-gtx-hiking-boot-mens Throw in a set of tall gaiters, darn tough sox. Be sure to have a dry pair to sleep in...

Nice boots.....I'm usually out for 2-4 nights and seldom in anything more than a few inches of snow...

July
11-03-2014, 22:54
Nice boots.....I'm usually out for 2-4 nights and seldom in anything more than a few inches of snow...

Sounds like a Fla lifestyle, sounds like your safe with them trail runners.

saltysack
11-03-2014, 23:03
Yep....wish I got up to your neck of the woods more often!! I'm lucky to get up to AT in GA,NC,TN or Va about 5-6 times per year of which a couple times between Dec-March....Last February Roan mtn section kicked my arse....wish had microspikes...don't think boots would have done much.....it was mostly solid ice not slushy...I really like the solitude of winter backpacking...a weekend out does wonders for me..

QHShowoman
11-04-2014, 08:11
In the winter, I wear Salomon Trail Runners with Climashield. GoreTex makes my feet too hot.
Over them, I wear a pair of low REI Alpine Gaiters.
Sometimes I wear a midweight hiking sock instead of the thin ones I usually hike in.
Microspikes if it's icy.

That's it. Works like a charm.

Another Kevin
11-04-2014, 10:56
In the winter, I wear Salomon Trail Runners with Climashield. GoreTex makes my feet too hot.
Over them, I wear a pair of low REI Alpine Gaiters.
Sometimes I wear a midweight hiking sock instead of the thin ones I usually hike in.
Microspikes if it's icy.

That's it. Works like a charm.

Except for some trivial differences - my trail runners were New Balance 610's, and I wore over-the-calf gaiters because it was rocky and brushy as well as snowy - that matches perfectly what I wore last weekend. Worked fine for boot-deep wet snow, 20F temperature and near-hurricane-force winds.

But that's what I'd wear in early November or late April around here. I'm Up North, and we need more than that in real winter. (For one thing, my trail runners aren't compatible with the bindings on my snowshoes and crampons!) You'll probably do fine with that combination year round in Georgia - except maybe a handful days out of the whole winter, when you can just get off trail and wait out the storm.

Dogwood
11-04-2014, 22:50
Here's another trick I've used in winter to gain a bit of warmth in my feet. I switch out my regular SOLE footbeds/orthotics for insulated ones.

https://secure.yoursole.com/us/mens/footbeds/insulated-ultra/

We always have Hotties(and similar) footbed warmers we can throw into the mix too.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/little-hotties-warmers.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CJ3A3ci54sECFQMT7Aod8gwAiQ

I'm sure if the DIYers here thought about it we could find some other material to help offer additional insulation inside our trail runners.