PDA

View Full Version : Windshirt on the cheap

hikernutcasey
11-03-2014, 10:45
Hi all, I'm looking to add a windshirt to my gear list but I really don't want to break the bank to do it. I really like the Patagonia Houdini but dang it's $100. Are there any quality wind shirts out there to be had for less than that?

saltysack
11-03-2014, 11:02
I've seen Houdini on sale several times...keep eye out....the Montbel tachyon anorack is lil less...looks nice...I just use my OR helium 11 rain/wind jacket as as double duty and lite at 6.5 oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
11-03-2014, 11:02
If it doesn't need to be waterproof, just get a cheap nylon jacket. Check the thrift stores.

AO2134
11-03-2014, 11:19
I got one at wally world for $10. it does the job. ?I can't remember exactly but I think it is about 10-11 oz. It does the job. I am happy with it for price/weight/function.

Dogwood
11-03-2014, 12:11
Couldn't agree with you more Casey. Winshirts, for the simple design that they are, and like Outdoor Gear Lab stated in their Windshrt review under value, are some of the priciest pieces of apparel per oz for a hiker. I would suggest you Google windshirts hiking.

I picked up a Marmot Ion about 7 yrs ago on a EMS clearance rack for $18. Picked up a GoLite Wisp at a Colorado Outddoor Gear consignment store for $22. I don't use either much anyore as my UL rain jackets do the job well enough for me under most circumstances. I find windshirts to be more of a niche piece for me used mainly on done in a day activities. Don't rule out bicycing and running windshirt bargains! Those made by Montane, Solomon, etc can do just fine for hiking!

The Cleaner
11-03-2014, 13:27
I have a Marmot Trail Wind Hoody from S&C for about $40. It weighs about 4ozs, has a hood and breathes very well. I don't like using waterproof/breathable fabric jackets until actually needed. Some I've had sweat up after a short while, even during the cold months. The Marmot windshirt blocks most wind and breathes better than most other fabrics. It's treated with a DWR coating and does repel light rain or snow.

gbolt
11-03-2014, 22:13
Like you, I was looking at the Houdini but just couldn't afford the $100. Then one day at Dick's Sporting Goods of all places, i saw the Columbia Men's Trail Drier Windbreaker. It's normal price was up there with the Houdini. However, on sale with additional percentage off it came down to $29.95. It is slightly heavier but at 6.35 oz and packable in it's own chest pocket, I couldn't pass it up. I have used it numerous times on the trail. It is a very versitile piece of equiptment. It can block wind, stop misting or light rain, work as a vapor barrier and add warmth in conjuction with or without an outershell. Just forms a nice layer for a weight penalty that is minor in comparison to other Long Sleeve shirt options. I have seen it return to normal price; but have also caught it on sale at various times of the year. At the time, I also had my eye on the Montbell Tachyon Anorack but it's weight was more than the Columbia and was a factor that drove me to make the purchase. I really feel that Nylon is Nylon to a certain point and really couldn't tell the difference in the feel of the jackets. Good Luck with your search. Just understand a Windshirt is not for everyone and it takes practice to find if it can be worked into your personal system.

hikernutcasey
11-04-2014, 10:11
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a clearance rack steal :) I am currently using my DriDucks jacket instead of having a dedicated wind jacket but I seem to sweat like crazy when I put that thing on. Just this weekend I was out in 20 degree weather and had to take it off within the first hour of hiking I was sweating so much!